• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I know this has been spoken about before in other threads however I wanted to relate my recent experience.

I had an SBR receiver in the shop registered by a class II last year. It was the last of 10. When registered it was registered with no bbl length or overall length. When registered there was a number transposed on the paperwork. I contacted the ATF to change the serial number to the proper serial number. When I sent the ATF the pictures the examiner saw that it was a stripped receiver.
    I spoke at length to the examiner and he explained to me that although these were erroneously registered this item did not meet the standards of an SBR because it did not have a short bbl. There for it would be removed from the NFA records all together and go back into my book as a title 1 firearm.
    He further stated that if we are going to do form 1's a bbl length and over all length must be submitted on the form from now on. He also said once it is registered one does not need to stay with the bbl length or over all length. Once registered you can switch bbls at your hearts content from 7" to 24" ect. with no paperwork it does not matter as long as the gun is registered as an SBR.
    I asked for a letter to be sent to me so I would have this in writing but I am not holding my breath.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    When I did my Form 1 SBR a few years ago, it was right when they started getting picky and I had to re-submit my forms with exact barrel length, caliber, and over-all length. I put the shortest length I envisioned ever building and then instead of "multi" for calibers I listed 9mm, .223, and .22LR and it was approved.

For a manufacturer of title II guns, I believe you would have to build it first and then submit the correct measurements for the registry (though I am not a manufacturer and don't know 100% off the top of my head).

Most importantly, for an average Joe, you HAVE to submit the form and get it approved before putting the short barrel on (or having it in your posession), otherwise you are breaking federal law by having a non-registered SBR... catch-22.

-rvb

Top Bottom