• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Anyone know anyone in the Indy area that could do good wood work on cutting down and refinishing a stock? I have a Stoeger double barrel is that is begging for the Mad Max treatment when this gets signed into law.

I believe that you are wanting to turn the shoulder stock into something like a pistol or bird's head grip. If so, that is still a NO-GO for shortening the barrel to less than 18", since Federal law would still apply... It is still considered a shotgun. Only shotguns born from the factory with a pistol grip can have the barrel reduced to less than 18" as long as the OAL does not go under 26", since they were never really classified as being a shotgun. All of what I just said goes out the window if you are going to do the NFA paperwork of course.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I believe that you are wanting to turn the shoulder stock into something like a pistol or bird's head grip. If so, that is still a NO-GO for shortening the barrel to less than 18", since Federal law would still apply... It is still considered a shotgun. Only shotguns born from the factory with a pistol grip can have the barrel reduced to less than 18" as long as the OAL does not go under 26", since they were never really classified as being a shotgun. All of what I just said goes out the window if you are going to do the NFA paperwork of course.

Yes, that was the assumption. Do a Form 1 on my trust, get the stamp back, get the barrel's chopped. All that I can do or get done easily. Turning the stock into a nice bird's head is beyond my capabilities.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    So, let me see if I am understanding this correctly. Short Barrel Shotguns will be legal to own after July 1st when this change takes effect. This now a law. This is how I am understanding the situation. Am I wrong?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    So, let me see if I am understanding this correctly. Short Barrel Shotguns will be legal to own after July 1st when this change takes effect. This now a law. This is how I am understanding the situation. Am I wrong?

The only change is that Indiana law concerning shotgun barrel length will no longer be more restrictive than Federal law. This means that you still have to get a tax stamp for barrel lengths of less than 18", with one exception. That exception is a shotgun that was born from the factory with a pistol grip. This type of shotgun is not considered a shotgun by the ATF (Feds), so it only needs to have an OAL of more than 26", and will not require a tax stamp.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I never could get the ISP to acknowledge that interpretation, or state whether they would arrest you or not. I specifically asked about the PGO shotgun with a 14" barrel and 26" OAL, and all they would say is "ask a lawyer".

Turds.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So what about putting a stock on a AOW like a super shorty?

That'll be $200, please.

Definitely doable, for sure. And an "easy" way to get something super short. Only now your SBS has cost you $205 and many more months of waiting.

If I were a machinist, I'd like to be able to really cut down a barrel and mag tube on a shotgun and have something quite similar. Just probably won't go through with it.

Kind of like automatic knives. I desperately wanted one while they were illegal... But now that they're legal and I CAN have one, I'm not so sure I'm wholly on board with their overall practicality. I'm not yet to the point financially where I don't mind just dropping $200 on stuff...PLUS the purchase price.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm starting to click on the Govs website to see if I missed anything, knowing it's going to contact me with an update.
    Governor Pence: 2015 Bill Watch

:xmad: I Just Can't Stand THE PRESSURE!!

OK-OK
    A Watch Bill Never Laws......A Watch Bill Never Laws......A Watch Bill Never Laws......A Watch Bill Never Laws......

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm starting to click on the Govs website to see if I missed anything, knowing it's going to contact me with an update.
    Governor Pence: 2015 Bill Watch

:xmad: I Just Can't Stand THE PRESSURE!!

OK-OK
    A Watch Bill Never Laws......A Watch Bill Never Laws......A Watch Bill Never Laws......A Watch Bill Never Laws......

The Lt. Gov., Mrs. Ellspermann, aka the President of the Senate, still has to sign it first.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    S 04/08/2015 Signed by the President Pro Tempore

Isn't this her?

ETA: Looked it up, didn't realize it was so convoluted...

For those who didn't look it up, no. The Pres. Pro Tempore is Sen. David Long.
    The Speaker of the House is Rep. Brian Bosma
    The Lt. Governor, who also serves as President of the Senate, is Sue Ellspermann.
    And as we all know, Mike Pence is the current Governor of Indiana. All four must agree to the bill for it to become law.

That said, I don't think the first three have to approve it, but rather their signatures attest to the fact that the bill presented to Mr. Pence is the one their House passed and agreed to.

In short, I don't think Mrs. Ellspermann can refuse to sign it and kill it. (If the Governor can't, it makes little sense that anyone else could.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom