• Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    School me here.

Legal in indiana, but still needs NFA tax stamp correct?

Correct. You'll still have to follow Federal guidelines. This just removes Indiana's blanket ban on short barreled shotguns. It's antiquated law that makes no sense, so it's good to see our legislators recognize that (and its a minor miracle, knowing those clowns).

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    But it has to be bought from a manufacture/dealer as an already made SBS and not one of your existing shotguns that you want chopped down, correct?

OK, Now Why? :dunno:

Is it that is has to start with a virgin registered SBS receiver?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Very cool. I'm just not sure what I want to SBS. Anyone know how reliable a Saiga 12 would be with a cut down barrel?

Go here and read it all. Good info here on what will work and what won't. Some report you can cut to a certain length without shortening the gas system with just some gas port work and general other reliability work (polish/profile the bolt/carrier/FCG). Go too short and you have to shorten the gas system which is a major PITA for all but the most talented and in possession of appropriate equipment.
    SBS Technical Info Thread - NFA Section - forum.Saiga-12.com

I bought a 2nd S-12 recently in anticipation of this law passing.

Edit to add this quote: From a recent post on another forum from a member who is very knowledgeable " . . . 11" is doable with just adding ports and not having to shorten the whole gas system."

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    School me here.

Legal in indiana, but still needs NFA tax stamp correct?

This law does not just affect NFA regulated items. It also removes the prohibition on sub-18" barrels for shotguns born as a (PGO) Pistol Grip Only firearms, that are otherwise legal under federal law. If a shotgun shipped from the factory with a pistol grip and has never had a stock on it, it is not actually considered a shotgun by the ATF. This means that the firearm born as a PGO only needs to maintain an overall length of 26" so that it does not become an (AOW) Any Other Weapon that can be concealed on a person.

The only thing that has kept Indiana residents from being able to shorten their PGO barrels is the law that is being changed changed. It stated that any shotgun needed to have both the 18" barrel and 26" OAL even if it was born with a pistol grip.

Here is a link that describes the PGO that does not need to have the NFA Tax Stamp.
    The 14? Mossberg 500 That ISN?T NFA! | Shockwave Technologies

This is also the company that sells a birdshead grip that allows an extra 5.5" off the back of the receiver, which allows more barrel length to come off the front and still maintain more than 26" OAL.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My question is why? What is so desirable about such a short shotgun? Why so popular?
    I don't see the point. My 18" 887 is inaccurate enough already.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My question is why? What is so desirable about such a short shotgun? Why so popular?
    I don't see the point. My 18" 887 is inaccurate enough already.

I don't agree that a shorter barrel equates to an inherent lack of accuracy, especially when you are talking about self-defense distances. When I am able to cut my barrel down, it will go from 18.8" to about 15.5" and I don't expect that for room or hallway distances it will make much of a difference with accuracy.

The real benefit of the shorter barrel in my case is that I want the most maneuverable shotgun that I can get for navigation around the house. This is the same reason that handguns are so favored in such an environment.

This is a 25-yard, 3 slug group that was shot from the hip with the aid of the barrel mounted laser on my 18.8" Birds-head shotty.. I could have adjusted the laser to better hit POA on the orange target, but since I will only be shooting double-ought buck I figured that was close enough.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom