• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is he apt to sign?

Yes, but it does not matter. It becomes law if he does not sign. (Gov. Pence can veto).

There is no pocket veto in Indiana. It becomes law if he does not sign it. Article V, §14 of the Indiana Constitution (if you want to read about the potential process yourself).

Here's Article V: http://www.law.indiana.edu/uslawdocs/inconst/art-5.html

I need to do an Indiana government thread.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yes, but it does not matter. It becomes law if he does not sign. (Gov. Pence can veto).

There is no pocket veto in Indiana. It becomes law if he does not sign it. Article V, §14 of the Indiana Constitution (if you want to read about the potential process yourself).

Here's Article V: Indiana Constitution - Article 5

I need to do an Indiana government thread.

How long have you been saying this? The time is now.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    There is nothing remotely controversial about this law. It merely aligns Indiana law to the long standing Federal law, which should make one think that he should have no problem signing the Bill into law. It also passed both the House and Senate with such overwhelming bi-partisan support that it would not make sense for Pence to stand alone with a veto.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks Kirk.

I guess that makes my next question - has Gov. Pence stated any intentions to veto?

No, not at all.

Things to do while we wait the 8 days:

1. Send a letter to your rep thanking him or her for his vote (if applicable)

2. E-mail the Gov. urging him to sign

3. Google up info on short barreled shotguns that you will be ordering in July.:D

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    No, not at all.

3. Google up info on short barreled shotguns that you will be ordering in July.:D

4. Start learning NFA paperwork and timelines so you can get (possession of) the SBS ... sometime ... when?

LOL. (I don't NFA, much, at all)

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    No, not at all.

Well it won't be the first law ( or newly regained rights ) that has cost me $$ :)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Although this bill passed in both houses, I do not recall seeing that the governor signed it. Did I miss something or is it still on the gov's desk?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Although this bill passed in both houses, I do not recall seeing that the governor signed it. Did I miss something or is it still on the gov's desk?

Most recent action shows it returning to the Senate without amendment. President (pro tem? not sure) of the Senate has to sign it, Speaker of the House has to sign it, then it goes to Pence for his signature. He has a short period of time (7 days or so, IIRC) to sign it or not. If he does not actively veto it, it becomes law.

Someone else can give you the exact number of days, I don't recall it and am too lazy at the moment to look it up. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Indiana Constitution says it becomes law 8 days after it is presented to the Governor. If it went to his desk the day after the House passed it (24 March), Thursday 2 April would have been the 8th day. Do we know when it hit his desk?

Article 5, Section 14(A)(3): He may refuse to sign or veto such bill in which event it shall become a law without his signature on the eighth day after presentment to the Governor.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Now I am wondering if it might be better to introduce future gun legislation into the Senate first. That way it comes to that Dermody RINO with momentum behind it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Now I am wondering if it might be better to introduce future gun legislation into the Senate first. That way it comes to that Dermody RINO with momentum behind it.

I'm pretty unhappy with the way Mr. Lucas' bills were snubbed this year, too, but in fairness, Dermody has two choices: He can kill the bills in his committee, or he can pass them, have Bosma kill them, and also refuse to appoint him to his committee next year. As far as the bills are concerned, the result is the same, but the way he did it this year keeps a pro-gun guy in charge of that committee. Want to effect a real change? Put a real "gun guy" in Bosma's seat as Speaker, and while we're at it, in Long's place in the Senate, too.

Blessings,
    Bill

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Anyone know anyone in the Indy area that could do good wood work on cutting down and refinishing a stock? I have a Stoeger double barrel is that is begging for the Mad Max treatment when this gets signed into law.

Top Bottom