• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    The Gun is a Savage Model 10FP .308 Win in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. I want to add a CDI bottom metal that will work with AI mags. I also want to have the stock bedded and the current 24in barrel threaded for a SAS 7.62 Arbiter TOMB suppressor. My question is, the owner of my local gun shop that I personally have know for years suggested Gunsmith A. He tells me that a few of his customers have had this guy thread barrels and are very happy with his work. The other shop where I am getting my can from (currently have a 5.56 TOMB sitting there waiting on stamp return.) The shop owner there tells me that is where the shop sends their work to for local stuff but tells me that only Gunsmith B will do work on his personal guns. I do not want to risk hurting a suppressor, but I have known the owner of shop 1 my entire life and cannot see him suggestion someone to me that does not do good work. I do know the reputation of gunsmith b, but he has since relocated to another state. I have also spoke with gunsmith A on the phone and he seems both knowledge and super nice. So do I chance it go with gunsmith A or go with the reputation of Gunsmith b. While I have never had either do work, two shops agree gunsmith b does do great work I just am not sure I want to mail my pride and joy out to the other end of the country. so give then choice what would you guys do?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Send your stock to CDI to be inletted for the DBM...Jeff does GREAT work and will turn it around very quickly.

If you have an A2 Medalist, my experience with three different A2 Medalists on Savage short actions is they don't "need" glass/devcon bedding with the full length aluminum bedding block; all three of mine shot very close to 0.5MOA.

Send your barrel to Robert Snyder @ RWS Gunsmithing or Chad Dixon @ LongRifles, Inc. to be threaded...about $100 and have quoted me turnaround under two weeks. Kevin Rayhill @ Stockade is another great option, though I'm not certain of his turnaround time. All three smiths have great reputations (as do many others).

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I was hoping to find a local gunsmith that could do all of it but that is sure an option, but if I mail it it would prolly go to SAS for threading and then to CDI as you suggested for bottom metal. Thanks for the tip there I did not know they did it.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Well long story short. I knew the Reputation off Gunsmith B. and well I guess my rifle will be enjoying some time out west. The build list now includes
    Barrel Threading
    Re Crowning
    Glass Bedding
    inleting for CDI bottom metal.
    and Working the AccuTrigger.
    Not sure how soon its going on vacation, but it should be by the end of the month.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    The CDI bottom metal arrived today with my two 10 round AI AICS mags. Now just trying to decide if I want to wait for the next local match or not before getting the gun in the mail. I am really looking forward to what the above work will do for the gun. It is already a sub MOA gun 99% of the time when I do my part. Hopefully it only gets better.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Who was the local smith, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM. I am local to Evansville, and would like to know..

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Got it back tonight and all I can say is, its great! Looking forward to seeing how it does at the range, maybe one night this week!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the ai mag is a huge upgrade from the stock savage mag. the only complaint i have about my savage 10 fpsr is the mag. the accuracy you cant complain about what so ever

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Here are the Pics

11* target crown

IMG_0308.jpg

5/8 x 24 Threaded barrel ( A SAS TOMB will be going on)

IMG_0309.jpg

Bell and Carlson Tactical Medalist Stack inlet for CDI DBM

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

DBM with 10rd AICS Mad installed
    IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Accu-Trigger was worked and center safety bar removed. (This feels amazing.)
    IMG_0310.jpg

I could not be more pleased, but a note for Savage Model 10 owners with a B&C Tactical Medalist stock. If you go with the CDI DBM it will not be flush it will be about 1/8in in the stock. I still really like it. The compatibility of an AICS mag will out way the ascetics of this. I have not shot it as of yet since my SAS TOMB is back-ordered and I have not received my thread protector from Midway just yet. My next plan for the rifle is a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 ILLM-TMR. For those that have not read the entrie thread, The rifle is a Savage Model 10 FP with a B&C Tactical Medalist Stock, Harris BR-S Bipod, Tac-Ops Quick Cuff Sling and SWFA 10x40 Super Sniper.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Went to the range yesterday and I have a few less than 1/2 groups and a lot of 3/4in groups at 100 yards. biggest groups was 1.25 in and that was all me. Im happy with it, now I just can't wait to hang that Arbiter off of it. Oh the wait!

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Had a match today and came in 5th out of I think 8 shooters. Lots of good shooters today. Came home and decided it was time for a better scope so I got a Nightforce 3.5-15x56 with MLR reticle and zero stops ordered and a set of Ken Ferrel Rings ordered. looking forward to what I can do with some better optics the Nightforce is gonna be a huge improvement over my SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 so Im pretty stoaked. pics will follow when it comes in!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Had a match today and came in 5th out of I think 8 shooters. Lots of good shooters today. Came home and decided it was time for a better scope so I got a Nightforce 3.5-15x56 with MLR reticle and zero stops ordered and a set of Ken Ferrel Rings ordered. looking forward to what I can do with some better optics the Nightforce is gonna be a huge improvement over my SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 so Im pretty stoaked. pics will follow when it comes in!

Definate improvement.

Congrats

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm glad to hear that you've had such great results with the CDI mag kit. I've been wanting to get something similar setup on a lighter weight hunting rifle package.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I'm glad to hear that you've had such great results with the CDI mag kit. I've been wanting to get something similar setup on a lighter weight hunting rifle package.

I could not be more pleased with my CDI Bottom Metal kit... I shot my second match with it this past Sunday and the more I shoot it the better I like it. It just right for 10 round mags, I need to order a couple 5 rounders and some more 10 rounders but they have not been back in stock. I think its a good choice. Id buy again.

Top Bottom