• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Oh no "Big Dan" wins again, the S&W is sliding down the totem pole.

They are referred by me as the light revolver (SW 17) & the heavy revolver (DW 8"). :laugh:
    I enjoy them both, with no plans to sell the SW 17 since it is still the 2nd best revolver I've ever owned. & it's fun owning a classic.
    I'd like to put a red optic on the front as I put on the DW 8" ($25).
    That was a big improvement to my painted sights.

Last edited:

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I was offered a Dan Wesson .44 mag with an 8" barrel that will match yours. I am not interested if you are let me know and I will give the info. Its a big heavy cannon.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range day against the Dan Wesson 8".
    21' on a rest S/A & D/A using Aguila Eley Prime Interceptor 40 grain solid nose.
    Have about 560 rounds through it so far.
    DW 8" has tighter group on the torso by about .5".
    In the little circles below the torso, they were neck & neck.

arplnLL.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Some nice DA shooting on the top two targets. I have recently started shooting DA again after acquiring a Smith 617 a few months ago. I want to eventually have a shoot off between it and my Poor Man's Smith 17 - the Taurus 96.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some nice DA shooting on the top two targets. I have recently started shooting DA again after acquiring a Smith 617 a few months ago. I want to eventually have a shoot off between it and my Poor Man's Smith 17 - the Taurus 96.

I am the most happy when I got 2 Guns to shoot against each other. :draw:
    My idea of fun! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had seen this revolver when it was available for $900 with a $400 Leupold scope & ammo included. :coffee:
    He listed the revolver only & I was quick to get it.
    I'm a sucker for a 7.5" barrel, SS, over 40 oz. wt., rear adjustable sights, but optic ready (even supplied rings).
    Don't prefer SAO (love revolver DA), small grips (can't believe they call this "full-size" b/c it's not in the grip) & the minuscule "bead" front sight (too thin & colorless for my eyes to pick up). :ugh:

Ruger Single-Six Hunter .22LR & .22 magnum, SAO, Model: 0662
    - Caliber: .22 LR & .22 magnum
    - Front Sight: Bead
    - Barrel Length: 7.5"
    - Material: Stainless Steel
    - Capacity: 6
    - Rear Sight: adjustable windage and elevation
    - Overall Length: 13"
    - Weight: 45 oz.
    - Patented integral scope mounts provide stable surface for mounting scope rings (included).

I bought this b/c I wanted a revolver to put an optic on.

XueDjIV.png

The range pics are really bad b/c I couldn't see the thin "bead" front sight when shooting. :dunno:
    The CCI AR Tactical ammo seemed to do better than the CCI SV today. :scratch:
    CCI Blazer that I used on a previous target was even more "scattered" than these, but it could have just been me.
    BQTGJ2L.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Really nice Ruger! Don't think I've even held a Hunter. Hope it turns out to be a good shooter. Are you going to use an optic on it? I have a Single Six with a Weigand mount and Ultradot. The revolver is actually quite accurate. The mount and red dot look kind of out of place but I have a lot of issues with open sights.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Really nice Ruger! Don't think I've even held a Hunter.
    Hope it turns out to be a good shooter.
    Are you going to use an optic on it?
    I have a Single Six with a Weigand mount and Ultradot.
    The revolver is actually quite accurate.
    The mount and red dot look kind of out of place but I have a lot of issues with open sights.

I didn't know of this model till last evening myself.
    I will put an optic on it to see what it can do, b/c I can't shoot it with the open iron sights on it.

I'll take an optic off one of my other guns so I can test it out.
    I don't think a red dot will fit on the rail, but hopefully one of my two scopes will do so.
    The owner said he could put a single hole in a target with his Leupold at 25 yds. (I'd be happy to do that at 25') :)

Post a pic of your Single Six with the mount & Ultradot.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Post a pic of your Single Six with the mount & Ultradot.

Here it is , not the most aesthetically pleasing set up but it allows me to shoot better than I ever have with the Single Six. A target shot standing earlier this year at 50 yards . I may eventually go with a smaller sight like a Vortex Venom.

Attachments

• single six red dot.jpg
      single six red dot.jpg
      47.9 KB · Views: 6
    • a single six 12 shots.jpg
      a single six 12 shots.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 7

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Here it is , not the most aesthetically pleasing set up but it allows me to shoot better than I ever have with the Single Six.
    A target shot standing earlier this year at 50 yards . I may eventually go with a smaller sight like a Vortex Venom.

:thumbsup: Thanks for posting!
    I can't imagine shooting a pistol 150'/50 yds. STANDING! :dunno:

My journey with optics is fairly recent, and even the inexpensive ones have been fine for my limited use indoors.
    We'll see if the Nikon Prostaff & Hawke scopes on the rifles will be enough when going to 50 yds. with the goal of 100 yds.
    Can't imagine doing anything beyond 25 yds. with a pistol.
    So far I just have 2 older RWS & Nikon handgun scopes.

When I tried using red dots during the day at Crosley in N. Vernon I learned that sunshine & red dots didn't mix well using my Bushnell RTX-25 ($90) & Dagger Defense ($50), which were fine indoors.
    I was googling pistol scopes last night & there are some basic ones for under $100 that I'd like to try, but I don't know which one is the "Toyota Corolla" quality.
    Maybe someone has had decent experience with a "starter" handgun scope & will speak up.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    :thumbsup: Thanks for posting!
    I can't imagine shooting a pistol 150'/50 yds. STANDING! :dunno:

I started shooting handguns back in 1987. You definitely work your way up to the longer distances. When I shot metallic silhouette we shot up to 100 yards although most used TC Contenders with optics.

I have no problem with red dots outdoors on a sunny day but I shoot from a covered range. Although at Camp Perry it is all out in the open and nearly everyone is using a red dot.

As to sub $100 handgun scopes I am not sure what would be a good choice. The very first handgun scope I ever had some 30 years ago was a Simmons 2X and while I shot some good groups with it optically it was not that great. I actually have a Burris 2X that was bought so long ago when it was only $99.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I started shooting handguns back in 1987. You definitely work your way up to the longer distances. When I shot metallic silhouette we shot up to 100 yards although most used TC Contenders with optics.
    I have no problem with red dots outdoors on a sunny day but I shoot from a covered range. Although at Camp Perry it is all out in the open and nearly everyone is using a red dot.
    As to sub $100 handgun scopes I am not sure what would be a good choice. The very first handgun scope I ever had some 30 years ago was a Simmons 2X and while I shot some good groups with it optically it was not that great. I actually have a Burris 2X that was bought so long ago when it was only $99.

I have spent the am doing research on the less expensive ones.
    I started a thread seeking some input on what to stay away from & which would be more reliable.

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I love shootong my 617 and K22. Original combats are nice but these combat/target hybrids from Nills will change your shooting experience for the better. Highly recommend them if the targets aren't working for you.

RJNt0sI.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love shootong my 617 and K22. Original combats are nice but these combat/target hybrids from Nills will change your shooting experience for the better. Highly recommend them if the targets aren't working for you.

RJNt0sI.jpg

Great looking guns & those grips are spectacular. :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up a scope for the Ruger Single Six Hunter from BGDave here.
    Can't wait to get to the range and see if gets in the competition with the DW & SW 17.
    Now I want some rubber grips: these look fine but can get slippery.

83YUZG7.jpg
    ZTOHZMq.jpg

OjkzVsM.jpg
    CAncsm5.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Nice handgun scope! I have owned my first Leupold 2X going on 25 years now. Nice clear optics and a very well defined duplex. Does not have click adjustments but once sighted in I usually don't mess with the adjustments much. You should be able to shoot the Single Six more accurately with the Leupold especially from a rest. I've used mine on 22s , 357s and my 44 Mag with great results.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anyone had experience on which rubber grips to get for the new model Ruger Single Six Hunter (should be the same as a any new model Single-Six)?
    Online sites down make it crystal clear, planting doubt.
    Packmayr is even more unclear.

Hogue Hunting Grip Rubber Ruger, Newhawk/Single Six
    31GKpJ0IM6L._AC_.jpg

Hogue 83000 Rubber Grip for Ruger New Blackhawk, Single 6
    6nkdDrf.jpg

Top Bottom