• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Yeah I have that same grip and it fit both my Single Six and New Model Blackhawk. A longer more hand filling grip - room for the pinky finger too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I have that same grip and it fit both my Single Six and New Model Blackhawk. A longer more hand filling grip - room for the pinky finger too.

That's the Hogue 8300 model you are talking about?
    I couldn't verify if the "Hunter" model was the same as the 8300.
    I need the longer grip since my pinky is only on by half, & it bugs me.
    If it was shorter, I'd put my pinky underneath, but I don't like that either.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just ordered from Midway.

Hogue Monogrip Rubber Grips #83000
    Price: $23.96 + shipping $5 + tax = $30.50 Total
    Compatible With: Ruger Blackhawk & Ruger Single Six

Note: Hogue.com was $10 more with double the shipping & item being 30% higher.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range day with the "new" Leupold 2x20 scope.
    I could barely see where I was hitting at 75 feet: now I wonder if I should have gotten the 4x fixed instead of the 2x20 fixed.
    As long as I don't try over 25 yds. I'll be fine, but I read of people shooting much farther than that.
    Especially, since will always be using a rest.

I'm hoping that getting Hogue Monogrips will tighten things up even more.
    If not, at least it will be more comfortable.
    I've sold revolvers with this size of smaller grips where the pinky is struggling for contact.

21, 30, 45 & 75 feet on a rest.
    Using CCI SV 1270 FPS
    With Leupold scope:
    TP2T1In.jpg

Without Leupold scope just using iron sights last week.
    BQTGJ2L.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    i it take you still like the 17-4?

I do: it is my 2nd favorite revolver.
    I doubt if anything can feel better in the hand & shoot better than the Dan Wesson 8" barrel.

I took the SW 17-4 with me today & intended to shoot it against the Ruger Hunter.
    I intended today to see how close the Ruger Single Six Hunter w/Leupold scope would be to the 17-4 since it is optic-less. (My wife says I like to make up 1 new word per day :laugh: ),
    Perhaps not a fair fight, but it is the only one I've got. :draw:
    If the 17-4 had an optic: no contest and perhaps it would beat out the DW w/o optics (with my eyes). :dunno:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Range day with the "new" Leupold 2x20 scope.
    I could barely see where I was hitting at 75 feet: now I wonder if I should have gotten the 4x fixed instead of the 2x20 fixed.
    As long as I don't try over 25 yds. I'll be fine, but I read of people shooting much farther than that.
    Especially, since will always be using a rest.

Eye relief/eye placement on the on the 4X is likely to be more critical. Have used a few 4X handgun scopes - a Redfield , Leupold and Burris. The only one I kept was the Burris mainly to use it on a TC Contender and it had the parallax adjustable objective. A 2X Leupold or Burris is definitely easier , at least for me , shooting free handed. My 4X Burris is on my 44 mag for accuracy testing from a rest. But shooting free handed I have to hold the gun closer than normal to get a full sight picture. Anyway at least at 25 yards I've shoot just as good groups with a 2X compared to a 4X.

As to not seeing where you are hitting if you mean seeing bullet holes it is usually difficult with a 2x on most targets with a 22 at 25 yards. As long as you are sighted in clearly seeing the reticle centered on target for each shot will usually result in a good group.

Attachments

• A 629 at 25.jpg
      A 629 at 25.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 4

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Eye relief/eye placement on the on the 4X is likely to be more critical. Have used a few 4X handgun scopes - a Redfield , Leupold and Burris. The only one I kept was the Burris mainly to use it on a TC Contender and it had the parallax adjustable objective. A 2X Leupold or Burris is definitely easier , at least for me , shooting free handed. My 4X Burris is on my 44 mag for accuracy testing from a rest. But shooting free handed I have to hold the gun closer than normal to get a full sight picture. Anyway at least at 25 yards I've shoot just as good groups with a 2X compared to a 4X.
    As to not seeing where you are hitting if you mean seeing bullet holes it is usually difficult with a 2x on most targets with a 22 at 25 yards. As long as you are sighted in clearly seeing the reticle centered on target for each shot will usually result in a good group.

BGDave that I bought the Leupold 2x20 from also had a 4x, but he stated he couldn't keep it steady to shoot free-hand, which was consistent with what I read & what you're saying.
    I liked the idea of the simplicity of the fixed scopes, but I realized the down side was not being able to shoot longer distances, but that is what rifles are for anyway.
    I bought a decent set Nikon 10x50 binos to help out with the seeing the bullets holes at distance, but I don't see them being much good at 100 yds., based on my using them at 25 yds., with my eyes. :dunno:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I bought a decent set Nikon 10x50 binos to help out with the seeing the bullets holes at distance, but I don't see them being much good at 100 yds., based on my using them at 25 yds., with my eyes.

A spotting scope is a great range accessory to have , beats the hec out of binoculars. I have a 2X-7X Burris that I have used at 50 yards with great results on a TC Contender 22 and for a while had it on a Smith 686 357. Shot my best rested target with the 686 at 50 yards with it set at 6X.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A spotting scope is a great range accessory to have , beats the hec out of binoculars.
    I have a 2X-7X Burris that I have used at 50 yards with great results on a TC Contender 22 and for a while had it on a Smith 686 357.
    Shot my best rested target with the 686 at 50 yards with it set at 6X.

I've thought about picking up one.
    Saw this at Harbor Freight:A spotting scope for the great outdoors
    $49
    Compare to Celestron 14593491 at $72.
    20-60 X 60mm Spotting Scope With Tripod

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got my Hogue Mono grips yesterday. :rockwoot:
    This is probably the 4th pair I've bought for different guns b/c I want a full purchase.
    If I don't shoot any better with them, at least I can't blame the grips. :laugh:

Hopefully, I'll make it to the range indoors tomorrow since I have a couple of revolvers I need to test out & it's problematic at the outdoor range to do only 21' & 30' & not be allowed to sit! :oldwise:
    lp0uYKS.jpg
    1Plr5pL.jpg

Top Bottom