31183499_10216217352212113_377558252730187776_o.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ^^^This (as I've told you before:)). ALWAYS favor focus on the front sight.

Wear safety glasses. These are the ones I use and they are full lens "readers"...https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSJNLO0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may have to buy a couple to figure out which diopter you need or ask your optometrist. Be aware these are listed by diopter rather than magnification.

I have these. I forget the magnification now, but I got them because I shoot a lot of milsurp rifles with those horrible tiny little sights (Mausers). They work pretty well but can make me feel a little "dizzy" when walking in them, like to change targets.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    2nd range day with the SW 17
    This time I finished dialing it in & shot it comparing with the Dan Wesson.
    Did 21' & 30', S/A & D/A.

S/A at 30' in the red bullseye: DW = 11; SW = 9
    S/A at 30' close to the "+" = SW = 8; DW = 5
    D/A at 30' = DW = 5 (withsights adjusted wrong 1st round); SW = 4

Total at 30' = SW = 21; DW = 21 TIED

S/A at 21" = SW 17 = 10; DW = 8
    D/A at 21" = SW 17 = 10; DW = 9

Total at 21' = SW = 20; DW = 17

Overall Total: SW = 42; DW = 38

Very close, but the SW is edging out the DW: it will be fun to see what happens the next round.
    3ZsZZTS.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another 800 rounds again today at the range.
    I had another new gun to put through its paces, plus vetting a Browning I've had for a few weeks with a Mark 4 Target I picked up to see which to keep or if keeping both
    But, testing out the SW 17 against the Dan Wesson is the best fun.

I kept it simpler today with only SA & only 21 feet on this one.
    SW = 11 points & DW = 9 points
    But, the 17 had better groups today.
    B7N6LAf.jpg

D/A only at 30' with SW 17 coming out ahead again.
    SW = 15 point; DW = 10 points
    YyNrYt6.jpg

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Another 800 rounds again today at the range.
    I had another new gun to put through its paces, plus vetting a Browning I've had for a few weeks with a Mark 4 Target I picked up to see which to keep or if keeping both
    But, testing out the SW 17 against the Dan Wesson is the best fun.

I kept it simpler today with only SA & only 21 feet on this one.
    SW = 11 points & DW = 9 points
    But, the 17 had better groups today.
    B7N6LAf.jpg

D/A only at 30' with SW 17 coming out ahead again.
    SW = 15 point; DW = 10 points
    YyNrYt6.jpg

good shootin'!!!.....now don't wear it out before you sell it to me.....:)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    good shootin'!!!.....now don't wear it out before you sell it to me.....:)

I have put about 350 rounds through it this week. :rockwoot:
    I have put 2000 rounds through 6 different guns this week.
    If it wasn't for the "new" Beretta 87 that I stumbled onto today (that was 300 rounds), I would have racked up more on the SW 17.
    I can't imagine how much better it would be with a red dot on it.
    When I have put a red dot on a handgun I'm amazed!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time again, enjoying the "new" SW 17-4.
    Again, SW beating the DW.

At 21' on a rest:
    SW =13 "points"
    DW = 9 "points"

At 30', the SW did better again.

R2ytTME.jpg

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    That sure is a nice 17-4 you got. I picked up a 17-2 earlier this year but haven't had as much fun time with mine as you've had with yours. They sure are sweet shooters! I enjoy the range reports and target results, keep having fun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That sure is a nice 17-4 you got. I picked up a 17-2 earlier this year but haven't had as much fun time with mine as you've had with yours. They sure are sweet shooters! I enjoy the range reports and target results, keep having fun!

Outside of now being able to enjoy driving the convertible in the sunshine, the range is my best fun.
    I was at the range today for 5 hours (10-3): a new record.
    750 rounds today: I'm going to run out of ammo at this rate!

I couldn't shoot the revolvers today since I bought 6 semi-auots guns that I "needed" to shoot.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Outside of now being able to enjoy driving the convertible in the sunshine, the range is my best fun.
    I was at the range today for 5 hours (10-3): a new record.
    750 rounds today: I'm going to run out of ammo at this rate!

I couldn't shoot the revolvers today since I bought 6 semi-auots guns that I "needed" to shoot.

5 hours that's quite a long time...but great therapy too. Kinda jealous of your range time.

Funny how when you get to shooting certain ones you REALIZE you neglected others. Run out of ammo? You can't let that happen, go spend some more enjoyable time at your LGS to replenish and look at all the new toys you DON'T yet have.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    5 hours that's quite a long time...but great therapy too. Kinda jealous of your range time.
    Funny how when you get to shooting certain ones you REALIZE you neglected others.
    Run out of ammo?
    You can't let that happen, go spend some more enjoyable time at your LGS to replenish and look at all the new toys you DON'T yet have.

Yes to the therapy: it's my escapism, like any good hobby. :thumbsup:
    Since I have bought a few guns in the past 2-3 weeks, there is my usual time-consuming & round-eating vetting of them. :ar15:

Yesterday, I served the wife instead of escaping to the range to clean out the dryer vent she had mentioned 3 times this Spring. :dunno:
    It took 4 hours b/c of bad design/placement of dryer in the middle of the house & b/c of two 90* elbows. :wallbash:

gmcttr gave a link for a decent buy on CCI SV last week & I immediately ordered.
    I'm replenishing my stash which took a 10% hit this past month.

I tried negotiating in this past few days on another gun, but they were asking exactly what I could buy for new (only saving $21 in taxes), so I passed.
    I will pay 75% of new price & sometimes can get a gun for 65% of new if I'm lucky.
    I've had to buy new when I wanted something I just couldn't find used anywhere: Glock 44 was the latest b/c I didn't want to wait a year or more & Glocks get the highest used value when selling anyway.
    I'll pay 85% (or more) of new when it is a hot item if it comes with holsters and/or extra mags.

There is always a new toy, but in my case I think I'm done with 9mm for now at least b/c I have what I want & have tried dozens of others.
    Usually, an older one that I thought was out of my reach b/c of availability & price or something I wasn't even aware of is the toy that gets my eye, like the Uberti Stallion (sold b/c I want the Cattleman w/12 rds.), SW 17 & Beretta 87.
    I have even bought 2 guns back that were previously mine (GSG 1911-22 upgraged & Browning Hunter) & more brands that I have had before: Ruger Mark 4 & Sig 365 & CZ Rami & a Kahr CT.
    I enjoy the hobby. :ingo:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Yes to the therapy: it's my escapism, like any good hobby. :thumbsup:
    Since I have bought a few guns in the past 2-3 weeks, there is my usual time-consuming & round-eating vetting of them. :ar15:

Yesterday, I served the wife instead of escaping to the range to clean out the dryer vent she had mentioned 3 times this Spring. :dunno:
    It took 4 hours b/c of bad design/placement of dryer in the middle of the house & b/c of two 90* elbows. :wallbash:

gmcttr gave a link for a decent buy on CCI SV last week & I immediately ordered.
    I'm replenishing my stash which took a 10% hit this past month.

I tried negotiating in this past few days on another gun, but they were asking exactly what I could buy for new (only saving $21 in taxes), so I passed.
    I will pay 75% of new price & sometimes can get a gun for 65% of new if I'm lucky.
    I've had to buy new when I wanted something I just couldn't find used anywhere: Glock 44 was the latest b/c I didn't want to wait a year or more & Glocks get the highest used value when selling anyway.
    I'll pay 85% (or more) of new when it is a hot item if it comes with holsters and/or extra mags.

There is always a new toy, but in my case I think I'm done with 9mm for now at least b/c I have what I want & have tried dozens of others.
    Usually, an older one that I thought was out of my reach b/c of availability & price or something I wasn't even aware of is the toy that gets my eye, like the Uberti Stallion (sold b/c I want the Cattleman w/12 rds.), SW 17 & Beretta 87.
    I have even bought 2 guns back that were previously mine (GSG 1911-22 upgraged & Browning Hunter) & more brands that I have had before: Ruger Mark 4 & Sig 365 & CZ Rami & a Kahr CT.
    I enjoy the hobby. :ingo:

But with any hobby, you still have to get the To Do List done. Glad you cleaned out the dryer vent. Too often that gets forgotten or put off...and poof...you get a nasty dryer fire that can escalate into a house fire. I've been to many of those over the years.

I read your story on the Browning, that was pretty cool that you happened to get it back. There's always a couple guns you wish you had back...just like some cars from my youth...damn...if only I'd had kept that car, what it'd be worth today!

Keep posting your range trips and results. It helps us less range fortunate types review your mileage with certain models to see if it might be one we'd want to get.

Stay safe!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't usually show you the messy targets that I use on the back of a colorful target.
    I left the range after the warm up of these 186 rounds & didn't have time to use a fresh target for 21' results.
    Next week I'll do the same at 30'.

All 21' on a hand rest.
    Remington Golden Bullets used on rows 1-4: 36 grain HP with 1280 FPS.
    Aguila Super Extra used on rows 5-8: 40 grain, copper solid nose.

I did D/A with both guns, the S/A with both guns, then repeated it.

With the scoring I used counting rounds overall (D/A & S/A):
    Dan Wesson 8" = 10 rds.
    SW 17 = 4 rds.

In D/A:
    Dan Wesson 8' = 5 rds.
    SW = 2 rds.

In S/A:
    Dan Wesson 8" = 6 rds.
    SW = 3 rds.

The Aguila = 9 rds.
    Golden Bullets =5 rds.

Today, with the sights dialed in more, at 21', the DW 8" did better than the SW 17 for the first time.

6PAnv8K.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    So the BIG Dan Wesson wins this time. Hope to have my own 22lr revolver vs 22lr revolver contest when I set my Taurus 96 up with a red dot and shoot it against my Smith 617-1. My Vortex Venom that was on my 617 is now on the way back to Vortex so there is a 2X scope on there for now but for shooting free handed I like the red dot better than the 2X scope.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So the BIG Dan Wesson wins this time. Hope to have my own 22lr revolver vs 22lr revolver contest when I set my Taurus 96 up with a red dot and shoot it against my Smith 617-1. My Vortex Venom that was on my 617 is now on the way back to Vortex so there is a 2X scope on there for now but for shooting free handed I like the red dot better than the 2X scope.

I'm in hog heaven when I have guns to compete with one another.
    I have only 2 revolvers left, after being up to 8 revolvers.
    I'm now down to just the DW 8", had a fling with the Uberti, but the SW 17 will stay for awhile.
    I might ad a Uberti Cattleman 12 round some day, and flirt with a Wrangler when one falls into my lap.

I have my SW 41 & Beretta 87 to go head to head.
    Then there is the Browning Buckmark Hunter 7.25 barrel that I just bought back to go head to head with the Ruger Mark 3 that seems to beat many other guns.
    I want to get a red dot for my SW 22A-1 Talo edition so it can jump into the competition with the red dots.

I have the Glock 44 which will remain optic free.
    I sold both the Mark 3 & the Browning Buckmark Camper Pro Target to help pay for the Beretta 87.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought 15,000 rounds of .22LR to replenish my supplies since I went crazy the past 2 weeks.
    A case of 5000 rds. CCI SV ordered. Thanks gmcttr! :thumbsup:
    10,000 rds. picked up from a member of Armscor 36 grain, HP, HV. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time today with revolvers: 140 rounds using Armscor 36grain, HP, HV
    (315 rounds total when including the Glock today).

Wanted to do some range time doing D/A free hand @ 21'
    I isolated these two rows b/c the page was just too messy.

Top row the Dan Wesson 8" barrel D/A free hands = 20-21 "points."
    Bottom row the SW 17-4 D/A free hands = 11-15 "points."
    (points were counting the rounds close to each of the "+")
    To me, a revolver should be shot D/A. :rockwoot:
    NhZaVO9.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom