• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Article

To protect Russians against the “collapsing US debt pyramid”, a Russian legislator has filed a draft bill to ban circulation of the currency in Russia.
    Once a Moscow mayoral hopeful, Mikhail Degtyarev, 32, likens the US dollar to a worldwide ponzi scheme which he says is scheduled to end in 2017.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    While this prediction may be true, unless Russia intends to monetarily isolate itself from the international currency market altogether then they're going to have a tough time of it since the US Dollar is the de facto currency of the international monetary market and the benchmark against which other currencies are valued.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    While this prediction may be true, unless Russia intends to monetarily isolate itself from the international currency market altogether then they're going to have a tough time of it since the US Dollar is the de facto currency of the international monetary market and the benchmark against which other currencies are valued.

That is the lawmakers point.... He wants to ban the US Dollar in country to escape some of the fallout

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

I dont think anyone disputes that right now. I believe the point is that the dollar will be replaced as the world reserve currency and they're trying to protect themselves. Russia, I'm sure, is more than capable of trading in euros and yen. I don't think they are as reliant on the dollar as most other countries.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I dont think anyone disputes that right now. I believe the point is that the dollar will be replaced as the world reserve currency and they're trying to protect themselves. Russia, I'm sure, is more than capable of trading in euros and yen. I don't think they are as reliant on the dollar as most other countries.

Understood but globally the way currencies are equated to one another is according to the relationship of each to the USD. The ruble is currently ~32 to the dollar and the euro is ~0.75 to the dollar and this is how it is calculated that the ruble is ~42 to the euro. The US Dollar has been the benchmark global currency since the end of WWII as a means to stabilize the global economy following the war but by taking the dollar off the gold standard the real value of the dollar was thereby dependent on the stability of the US economy instead of US gold reserves. This probably made sense when the American economy was the fasted-growing national economy in the world, thanks in large part to the war itself. Fast-forward 75 years and you find out that when the US economy stumbles it affects the entire world.

I certainly don't know how much consumers utilize the US Dollar within the Russian market but I don't know that this would really be the motivation behind the legislative proposal in the original post. If the dollar did tank, it would simply mean that the US Dollar would plummet in relationship to its buying power of Russian goods... one day a US Dollar will buy you a case of Russian vodka and the next day it wouldn't buy you a shot glass of the same vodka. The same thing happens in many economically unstable nations. I visited Mexico several summers as a teenager and from one year to the next the peso went from 200 to the dollar to over 2,000 to the dollar! It simply meant that I got more pesos when I exchanged my dollars and few dollars when I exchanged them back. Therefore the only real motivation I can see in the Russian legislative proposal is because the thinking is that the US Dollar is going to drop in value so fast that from one day to the next the dollars-to-rubles exchange rate will plummet and holders of US Dollars will suddenly be left with worthless paper. I doubt it would happen so rapidly but it probably will happen over time and has been since we left the gold standard.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Each reserve currency has ended at some point in time. We may not see it in the near future or our lifetime but we are headed in that direction. When the majority of countries agree, the dollar will no longer be the reserve currency.

20120103_JPM_reserve.png

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The last economic news I remember hearing from Moscow involved screwing over the people of Cyprus. I don't need the Russians telling me what I already know.

anyone who predicts when our collapse is going to happen is full of :poop:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    The last economic news I remember hearing from Moscow involved screwing over the people of Cyprus. I don't need the Russians telling me what I already know.

anyone who predicts when our collapse is going to happen is full of :poop:

It will happen in the future.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Each reserve currency has ended at some point in time. We may not see it in the near future or our lifetime but we are headed in that direction. When the majority of countries agree, the dollar will no longer be the reserve currency.

20120103_JPM_reserve.png

It also looks like the amount of time one nation's currency serves as the reserve currency is pretty consistently limited and America's timeline is approaching that limit.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

That's exactly what they're doing.

Russia and China are working out a new currency that's actually backed up by assets instead of debt.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's exactly what they're doing.

Russia and China are working out a new currency that's actually backed up by assets instead of debt.

Isn't that the same thing when we had the "Gold Standard" and "Silver Certificates" before we had "Ferderal Reserve Notes"?

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This article seems to be more about Russia trying to strengthen their currency than America losing their own. Im not saying that its not going to happen. But I think the Russian govt is just grasping at straws for an excuse to bolster their own currency.

Top Bottom