• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Credited to Atlantic Firearms:

"They have NOT banned all Ammo and there is a ton of already approved form 6s out there so ammo will continue to flow into the US from Russia until those are exhausted . Similar to the Vepr ban we saw Veprs continue to flow into the US for 2 more years . During that time production will move to other non banned countrys . There is already ammo sitting in Poland , Romania , Serbia etc just waiting to hop a ship over to the US. This being said you can expect to see higher prices on ammo going forward . The SKY is not falling" .....

I'm not speaking to the veracity of this, but it may not be as big a deal as expected.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I watched War Dogs tonight. Is that actually based on true events? Or very loosely based Hollywood style of an event but with 95% of the truth bent to a viewpoint of theirs?

Heavily fictionalized, but based on true events - including the Chinese/Albanian ammo. The movie was great. If you want to learn more, read Arms and the Dudes, which the movie was based on. I read it on a long flight and holy crap what a wonderful and fascinating book. Just a crazy story.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    FYI Avon RK got another shipment of Wolf. $9.98 for 20 from what I remember.

Don't know how much they got; I asked the guy at the counter and he pulled out a case from behind the register.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    There are eastern bloc countries that would be happy to repackage and export. It's not that difficult for Tula to retool a headstamp.

This is what I hope and expect to happen. Lots and lots and lots of eastern European or Asian ammo with conspicuously crosshatched or totally absent headstamps. Or something akin to "magazine repair kits," where Russia ships empty primered cases and loose bullets to other nations, who then add gunpowder, reassemble, and ship to millions of happy Americans with our credit cards in our hands.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    For now, this is all a speed bump in the supply chain but I'm sure it will--does--have a ripple effect.
    A friend sent me a link to a sale at True Shot Gun Club; Tempe AZ. When I went to buy, the price for Blazer Brass 9mm had jumped from .37 to.40 per cartridge. Still a good buy...just sayin'

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    wow doing some searches for 7.62x39 private and business, flippers are going crazy have seen up to 1 dollar per round as of a few minutes ago, wonder how bad it will get in our classifieds??????

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    wow doing some searches for 7.62x39 private and business, flippers are going crazy have seen up to 1 dollar per round as of a few minutes ago, wonder how bad it will get in our classifieds??????
    Won't get bad at all for me. I won't pay that. Got plenty. And I'm not an idiot. :)

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I keep any eye on ammoseek for wolf 6.5 gendel. Was dropping nicely before this latest ********. Was at .68cpr now back to $1.06

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got this in an email from SGAmmo (sorry for the lack of spacing/paragraphs).

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market. From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model. The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers, I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year. Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different. For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just got this in an email from SGAmmo (sorry for the lack of spacing/paragraphs).

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market. From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model. The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers, I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year. Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different. For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.

That's probably all true, but it missed what I consider to be the obvious opposite side that the "Russian" ammo will simply just no longer be "Russian" from whatever mechanism they find to do it.

I don't know the details of why you would be on that mailing list (if it's a regular blog or whatever), but if they just blasted that to all customers then it seems like something they can point to next week and say "Well... prices are only up 300%, but we're working through it".

We all know this is going to hurt for awhile. We knew that in November.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's probably all true, but it missed what I consider to be the obvious opposite side that the "Russian" ammo will simply just no longer be "Russian" from whatever mechanism they find to do it.

I don't know the details of why you would be on that mailing list (if it's a regular blog or whatever), but if they just blasted that to all customers then it seems like something they can point to next week and say "Well... prices are only up 300%, but we're working through it".

We all know this is going to hurt for awhile. We knew that in November.
    I'm on their email list. They've always been my main "go to" online ammo vendor in the past and Sam Gabbert (the SG in SGAmmo) has always been pretty up front with his customers on his pricing, supply, etc..

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm on their email list. They've always been my main "go to" online ammo vendor in the past and Sam Gabbert (the SG in SGAmmo) has always been pretty up front with his customers on his pricing, supply, etc..

Okee dokey. I'm always just watching for the next Dick's or CTD to emerge...

We'll see how it plays out.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Just because Russia shifts their ammo production to another nearby country for repackaging, doesn't mean that the State Dept. isn't smart enough (unfortunately) to figure it out .... and deny the new permits from those countries.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just because Russia shifts their ammo production to another nearby country for repackaging, doesn't mean that the State Dept. isn't smart enough (unfortunately) to figure it out .... and deny the new permits from those countries.

You have a lot more faith in the speed of government than I do. Even full-on dementia "I'll sign anything. Who are you, again?" Joe took 8 months to get this far.

Plus political fallout from penalizing a developing country who is at odds with Russia (Ukraine comes to mind). Not that this administration actually cares about being a good international citizen, but in normal world that would be a problem.

Top Bottom