• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yeah sadly the ammo situation is only going to get worse and it's going to last for years and years. This move was perfectly, deliberately timed to stomp the throat of the American gun owner when we were already down. Lots of cope going on in this thread. Nobody is going to build new plants, and even if they did, it would take 5+ years to show up in the market. American manufacturers are vertically integrated and are not going to free up components or expand capacity, not when they can allow prices to inflate and regulate demand for them. They learned from the Trump Slump, they'll never over-produce again.

Inflated prices and tight/nonexistent supply for .223, .308, 9mm, and x39 are the new normal for at least the next 5 years. The sanctions aren't going away, and will probably get worse as they chase down and ban competitors in places like Ukraine. Demand isn't going away as the political situation in the US continues to deteriorate. Supply is not going to increase.

This is how it is, and the vast majority of American gun owners are simply no longer going to be able to obtain and shoot ammunition at anywhere near the rate we used to be accustomed to.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    Haha these freakin' auto corrects. I read my drafts three or four times before each post and STILL miss a word my phone "corrects" about 50% of the time :rolleyes:

Anyways, didn't mean to misquote you. At least we can cheers to all the other nations still producing x39, and all those others with the tooling already in place who just need the green light to restart production.
    It would be nice if they do, the sooner the better.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Im not optomistic. And you shouldnt be either unless you are part of their military.

"and production capabilities that are needed to strengthen the Ukraine's Military and Defense Industry infrastructure."

I read that as "we are doing what is best for the Ukraine". And I dont see them selling our civlians their ammo as helping them. "

Call me a realist then.

As has been stated ad nauseum here and on other gun forums, especially those that actually cater to AK fans, Russia doesn't own a monopoly on 7.62x39. The sanction sucks. Full stop. But it won't stop us from getting import 7.62x39 ammo, unless a full import ban is instituted here. GO is a major U.S. importer. Lugansk used to be a major producer and exporter to the U.S. before the Donbas conflict. Ukraine has other capabilities. So yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic.

As one of the biggest AK fan boys on INGO, the sanction pissed me off more than just about anyone here. But I have hope this cooperation, and inevitably more like it, keep the import ammo pipelines open for us if/when Russia's closes.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Just read all 13 pages to see what you guys were saying about this.
    Call it dumb luck but I had just ordered a case of 7.62X39 FMJ Barnaul and a few hundred rounds of Soft point Barnaul right before this admin pulled all of this.
    Obviously not a lifetime supply but hopefully enough to get by until someone fills the vacuum.

For those guys that keep saying some here voted for this:
    Let me go on record to say Um Nope, Not me, No freak'n way !!!
    I turned 18 in 1984 and voted for Ronald Reagan and kept that line of voting every since !
    I've never missed an election, not even a local one.

I remain optimistic that someone will indeed fill the void.
    Or that the ban will be lifted (long shot for sure).

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Has this had the expected outcome? Currently things seem to have calmed down and ammo prices seem to be easing. Is there an unexpected storm coming?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Has this had the expected outcome?

For the grabbers? No.

Plenty of Russian ammo to be found online. Lots of it hovering around 30, 31 cents per round for the popular stuff like 7.62x39. In fact, I'm seeing a lot more brand names importing ammo from the same handful of Russian factories - Vympel, for example, coming in packed in boxes with names that don't rhyme with Holden Geiger. Folks with current import arrangements are still bringing stuff in for the foreseeable future.

5.45 is still not cheap or plentiful, but it's available. I've not seen anything that is wholly to blame on the ban any more so than COVID or 2020 in general.

There's always a storm somewhere on the horizon. But for some time now, 30 is the new 20, especially when it comes to Russian ammo prices. And there's literal tons of it sitting on brick & mortar and digital shelves.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Sure, but what would you pay for it today, to have in hand tomorrow? I'm slightly surprised to find it for sale at a reasonable price. I don't own an AK or variant, but have seen some interesting 7.62x39 AR pistols that pique my interest.

I see my ammo cache as an investment, appreciation out-pacing any IRA, but I still long for the day I can pick up a box of ACP at $10 again.

I have the opportunity to pick up about a half case of steel case 9mm and 45, but don't consider the steel case of these as a worthy investment

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sure, but what would you pay for it today, to have in hand tomorrow? I'm slightly surprised to find it for sale at a reasonable price. I don't own an AK or variant, but have seen some interesting 7.62x39 AR pistols that pique my interest.

I see my ammo cache as an investment, appreciation out-pacing any IRA, but I still long for the day I can pick up a box of ACP at $10 again.

I have the opportunity to pick up about a half case of steel case 9mm and 45, but don't consider the steel case of these as a worthy investment
    Steel case is a no go for me. I reload so I want the brass after I send the factory rounds downrange. Occasionally buying factory stuff keeps my brass inventories up.

Top Bottom