• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    But even $249 for 500 is a crazy high price to me. Not having to buy anything during these times was pretty much the point of stocking up when prices were low.

I guess the real concern is whether one gambles to buy now (or even 2 weeks ago at the “lower” price...) or decides to just sit tight while everyone acts crazy.

It’s a crapshoot right? Buy now, then watch the prices come way down in a year or two... Or don’t buy now and kick yourself later??

I guess my thought is to just sit tight and let the situation cool off for now.

I wanted to hold off on adding more to the reserves, but I can read the tea leaves good enough to realize that the past few months will be seen as the "good ole days" by the time this starts having a logistical impact.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What I'm saying is people are buying up all 7.62x39 even brass cased none Russian made ammunition.

"OMG no Russia ammunition better buy up the brass case stuff also"
    Is that what people are thinking?

40-45% of the supply of ALL ammunition is being barred from import.

If the demand is already outstripping the supply of ALL the ammunition out there, what do you think happens when 40-45% of that ammo is gone? It's going to affect everything, as now people are going to be forced into buying non-russian made ammo, causing yet another run on ammo.

If you need ammo of any kind, I'd highly recommend getting it before people realize what I'm trying to explain.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    40-45% of the supply of ALL ammunition is being barred from import.

If the demand is already outstripping the supply of ALL the ammunition out there, what do you think happens when 40-45% of that ammo is gone? It's going to affect everything, as now people are going to be forced into buying non-russian made ammo, causing yet another run on ammo.

If you need ammo of any kind, I'd highly recommend getting it before people realize what I'm trying to explain.
    Why I invested into reloading supplies instead of buying ammunition. Much cheaper and I can load up fresh ammunition anytime I need it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why I invested into reloading supplies instead of buying ammunition. Much cheaper and I can load up fresh ammunition anytime I need it.

It really boils down to the time involved to make it vs the cost.
    I HATE reloading for rifles, but don't mind it for pistols. I normally only reload things that have a hyper inflated price, like 454 casull and 45 colt. I also typically only shoot 45acp reloads.

Even at 50cpr, I don't feel it's worth the time investment. As it nears $1 a round, it starts to be worth it. 45-70 is a prime example of a round that you'd have to be crazy to shoot without reloading.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It really boils down to the time involved to make it vs the cost.
    I HATE reloading for rifles, but don't mind it for pistols. I normally only reload things that have a hyper inflated price, like 454 casull and 45 colt. I also typically only shoot 45acp reloads.

Even at 50cpr, I don't feel it's worth the time investment. As it nears $1 a round, it starts to be worth it. 45-70 is a prime example of a round that you'd have to be crazy to shoot without reloading.
    I can produce 200rds of 5.56x45 or 7.62x51 an hour with my turret press. I've gut 300 blackout dies coming in to reload that also.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I can't go nearly that fast and feel confident with my charge levels. I'm pedantic about it, but I've also loaded tens of thousands of rounds without a failure.
    My Lee Auto Drum has been very consistent I've loaded 300rds of 5.56x45 and my target charge is 22.9gr. It's been as low as 22.78 was the lowest charge I seen so far out of 300rds. Most are on or very close to 22.9gr. I'm using 8208xbr. It meters great in the auto drum. Not good enough for match grade rds. I was hoping for. I'll still have to hand measure each match rd I make.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    You guys realize that that Russian imports account for a lot of 223, 308, 9mm, 40 and 45 acp just to name the most common? Remove those imports and pressure is again put on US manufacturers who can't keep up with demand now even with the imports. Prices are going to rise and availability is going down.

For those of us that reload it's just as bad. The primer shortage will continue for a long time since there will be no surplus primers for the reloading market. Manufacturers will be using all they can produce trying to meet demand for their final products leaving nothing for us.

How long it will last, who knows. I'm sure other foreign manufacturers will try to fill the void but that's going to take time. It was just starting to get better but now we're back to the beginning., This is the 5th ammo shortage I can remeber in the past 20 years. Most were over within a year but this one is already a year and half old and is likely to drag out for several more years.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    This from the same folks that just supplied a large, well known terrorist organization with numerous small arms, ammunition, and military equipment.

They can go to ****.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the thing they claim to be banning the importation of in the name of "punishing" Russia, is the exact same thing that they don't want us to have.

Top Bottom