Not open for further replies.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    No it is just an issue with Turkey. And with this, they may indeed be wearing out their welcome. This isn't the first time they haven't been very helpful for what really benefits Nato.

Sadly, Turkey has really deviated from the ideals it once upheld. Its long and drawn out explanation, but Turkey in the 50s to 80s really wanted to be very European. Now we are left with a country that is going more and more to a more Muslin led bent, and at one point were actively trying to fight some US led efforts in Syria. They hate the Kurds as they lay claim to a lot of eastern turkey.

I would have think Turkey would have been bounced from Nato years ago if it wasn't for Turkey's absolutely golden strategic position. They control the only VERY NARROW Black Sea access. Which alone is worth its strategic weight in gold.

They also are a strategic "flank", They also have a big army. 2nd only to the US, in Nato. But its a mix of really modern stuff, and some older stuff too. But definitely enough to keep the Russians split and distracted while the main Nato force smashes eastward from mainland Europe.
    Turkey is not the sole issue of NATO.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Lets see how bad things are going for the Russians..

Well, a lot of pro Russian sources are piling on the "Damn Russia, your army does really suck" bandwagon..
    Mariupol holds.
    There is friction between the Russian Regs, and the Contractors, and Collaborators..

And on top of that, they are STILL getting their arse kicked, The Ukrainian's got to the Russian Border north of Kharkiv in one place. They continue to send attacks out that get turned back and destroyed.

The Ukranians haven't yet done a right wheel, but are expected to turn and try and cut the supply lines for the attack to Izyum

The Russians elsewhere seem to mostly be focused on fortification building.

Else it's pretty static.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No it is just an issue with Turkey. And with this, they may indeed be wearing out their welcome. This isn't the first time they haven't been very helpful for what really benefits Nato.

Sadly, Turkey has really deviated from the ideals it once upheld. Its long and drawn out explanation, but Turkey in the 50s to 80s really wanted to be very European. Now we are left with a country that is going more and more to a more Muslin led bent, and at one point were actively trying to fight some US led efforts in Syria. They hate the Kurds as they lay claim to a lot of eastern turkey.

I would have think Turkey would have been bounced from Nato years ago if it wasn't for Turkey's absolutely golden strategic position. They control the only VERY NARROW Black Sea access. Which alone is worth its strategic weight in gold.

They also are a strategic "flank", They also have a big army. 2nd only to the US, in Nato. But its a mix of really modern stuff, and some older stuff too. But definitely enough to keep the Russians split and distracted while the main Nato force smashes eastward from mainland Europe.
    I had a bud from my USAF days who was stationed in Turkey twice and deployed to Turkey for Operation Northern Watch in the 90's once or twice. He described Operation Northern Watch this way: On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we protect the Kurds. On Tuesdays and Thursdays the Turks bomb the Kurds.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Non Western media said they took them woman a children hostage so they could save their hides.Been number reports of UK forces putting woman and children in front of army groups so Russia could not shoot at em. Don't know for sure,but been lied to by Western media so much in last couple years, They have no credibility in my book. On the other hand Russia gonna lie to. So who really knows the truth?
    UK is taken as United Kingdom. I don't think the UK has ground troops in Ukraine.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    All your base are belong to us!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    All your base are belong to us!

Onward to Odessa!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    The defenders at the Avostal plant have lasted nearly a month according to this. April 19th is when Russia claimed to have control of Mariupol. There were still defenders there according to yesterdays assessment.

Russian forces conducted limited and largely unsuccessful ground offensives along the front line in Ukraine on May 16.

Russian military bloggers continued to post analysis that is skeptical of Russian efforts and increasingly in-line with Western assessments of Russian military failures in Ukraine.

Over 260 Mariupol defenders evacuated from the Azovstal Steel Plant to Russian occupied settlements in Donetsk Oblast on May 16.

Frictions between Russian occupation administrations and pro-Russian collaborators is growing in occupied areas of Ukraine.

Frictions between Russian occupation administrations and pro-Russian collaborators is growing in occupied areas of Ukraine.
    The Zaporizhia Oblast Military Administration reported that Russian forces are having serious conflicts with collaborators due to interpersonal power conflicts.[4] A well-known collaborator in Zaporizhia accused the Russian-installed governor of the area of stealing his 10,000 ruble compensation. Advisor to the Mayor of Mariupol Petro Andryshchenko additionally claimed that relatives of those mobilized into the forces of the Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR) are holding a mass protest against mobilization in Donetsk City. While ISW cannot independently verify these claims, such discontent amongst occupation elements suggests a general lack of planning by Russian authorities in occupied areas, now compounded by increasingly evident Russian losses.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I had a bud from my USAF days who was stationed in Turkey twice and deployed to Turkey for Operation Northern Watch in the 90's once or twice. He described Operation Northern Watch this way: On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we protect the Kurds. On Tuesdays and Thursdays the Turks bomb the Kurds.

I spent a year (USAF) at a remote NATO site in Turkey in the '70's .....the stories that I could tell !
    The Turks have only tolerated us because of the weaponry (including nuclear) that we've placed on their doorstep.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom