Not open for further replies.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Well let’s think about this. Last week a pipeline——-in the ocean, this week a bridge,——- also in the ocean. Huummm, I think I’m seeing a pattern here. Maybe we should call in Sherlock Holmes.

Just a possibility, not carved in stone. And JMO.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well let’s think about this. Last week a pipeline——-in the ocean, this week a bridge,——- also in the ocean. Huummm, I think I’m seeing a pattern here. Maybe we should call in Sherlock Holmes.

Just a possibility, not carved in stone. And JMO.

There is NO ONE better at doing underwater sabotage than either the American SEALS.

Just sayin'...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    In it's day the SDECE was good at this sort of stuff. American SEAL teams are better and have much more to work with, but at the end of the day, what it takes is the will to do the job and the skill to not get caught.

Reactions: Mij

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Well, if you can believe this. it appears our local bridge guy was right.

Train service has been restored.

The piers appear undamaged. I saw in a damage post the bridge beams and deck support structure are all steel. If they have the supplies and motivation, it could be weeks.

The cranes and barges to set the parts might be the hang up with the weather changing. Precast the deck parts during the bridge erection stage, and they would be ready to place on the bridge soon after it is set. It would not be pretty, but is would almost handle the same loading as before.

The train bridge column and rail supporting structures are a beast even with Russian cost cutting. I noticed in some past article; the design of each column was to take the impact of a ship.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Got to agree, never met one, but personally know there ilk.
    FYI, the road bridge and rail pilings appear to be exposed under the concrete pier structure that goes to the waterline. That has my attention. Also, the rail piers were designed to take an impact of a ship at low speed.

edit-saw a better picture of the rail piers.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Didn't this bridge also carry the fresh water pipelines? In one video clip, I saw an awful lot of liquid sloshing on the surfaces that wasn't ignited by nearby fire and did not appear to be water from the strait washing onto the bridge surface

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Where I would be concerned as a train operator is the damage done to the steel from intense heat. I am not a metallurgist but I would think that several hours of intense heat to the rail beams would very likely cause some small degree of warping and fatigue at the microscopic level. Over time the continued pressure of rail cars would likely compound the damage until... oops.

Wasn't that what caused one of the towers on 9-11 to fall? It wasn't the blast immediately from the plane but the burning of the jet fuel that weakened some of the steel beams?

They're Russian. They'll still use it. It's a war. They have to. I'd be worried as hell.

Regards,

Doug

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom