• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know bridges from working with most of the bridge builders that worked in Indiana.

The repair will depend on the damage to the bridge piers. If undamaged, it will take much less time to fix. Weeks if they get motivated.

The 10th street bridge repair was done way faster than estimated but was over land and only a few precast beam sections and deck needed reconstruction. I think it was under 30 days. The piers were not damaged. I was impressed by all parties getting the job done. Those bridge forms for the precast are "standardize" and they did get to pouring them quickly. Concrete needs to cure X number of day before to be transported and lifted. Curing depends on many factors and it is now colder in that area.

For the same span, bridges over rivers take longer. Bridges over rough seas are more exciting due to the wind getting into the way of lifting parts. Who knows how close the barges with cranes or other heavy lift equipment is at this time.

I worked with a company in Vincennes that made the long and sometimes curved metal beams for highway projects. With materials in the inventory and time, those can be fabricated as fast as the metal cutting, and welding can be done. Again, setting them in place is the wild card.

They could fabricate and set a crude metal beam and metal deck bridge fairly quick if the piers are undamaged. 3 weeks or less with a national mobilization

The damage to the train bridge might not be that extensive. The bridge spans were most likely designed with the anticipated fire event we observed. It takes a huge thermal load to get deep into the concrete and damaged the rebar or tensioning matrix. Who knows if that damaged happened. I hope it did.

Just my two cents.
    A pretty good summary.

I few pages back I surmised that Ukraine would strike this bridge, though I surmised they would use HIMARS, this appears to have been a truck bomb. The interesting thing is the seemed to time it with a fuel train on the adjoining train bridge. Diesel fuel. One of the few things that could give that thermal load enough to mess with rail bridge. This is an impressive level of planning. To detonate the truck bomb the exact time a fuel train was passing.

However, don't under estimate how -fecked- Russian held Kherson and Crimea are now. Even though one of the road bridges is still passable, it seems limited in what it can carry. So much so that Russians are unmothballing the ferries.

There is no complete rail link that is completely controlled by the Russians on the mainland side.. So fuel, ammo, and equipment movements to Crimea and Kherson are severely restricted now.

If its down for 1 or 2 months, this is a massive blow.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That seems like an excessive amount of shots for one man. But when the U.S. taxpayers are buying the ammo why not? :ar15:
    How many times would YOU likely shoot someone who killed your friends and neighbors and perhaps family members or who tortured your countrymen and extracted their gold teeth Auschwitz style? Or buried them in mass graves

How many times do you think a partisan would shoot an SS guardsman if given the chance?

I will allow it

Waiting for the defense of Russian soldiers and the description of those accounts as Ukrainian propaganda in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    A pretty good summary.

I few pages back I surmised that Ukraine would strike this bridge, though I surmised they would use HIMARS, this appears to have been a truck bomb. The interesting thing is the seemed to time it with a fuel train on the adjoining train bridge. Diesel fuel. One of the few things that could give that thermal load enough to mess with rail bridge. This is an impressive level of planning. To detonate the truck bomb the exact time a fuel train was passing.

However, don't under estimate how -fecked- Russian held Kherson and Crimea are now. Even though one of the road bridges is still passable, it seems limited in what it can carry. So much so that Russians are unmothballing the ferries.

There is no complete rail link that is completely controlled by the Russians on the mainland side.. So fuel, ammo, and equipment movements to Crimea and Kherson are severely restricted now.

If its down for 1 or 2 months, this is a massive blow.

In the time of war what idiot allows a train full of diesel to remain stopped on the bridge. What incompetence.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    New rumor is it was an underwater drone strike. I'll trying to find the link now.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    How many times would YOU likely shoot someone who killed your friends and neighbors and perhaps family members or who tortured your countrymen and extracted their gold teeth Auschwitz style? Or buried them in mass graves

How many times do you think a partisan would shoot an SS guardsman if given the chance?

I will allow it

Waiting for the defense of Russian soldiers and the description of those accounts as Ukrainian propaganda in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
    You mad bro?

temp-95.gif

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Have not seen this angle before, doesn't look like the southern lanes are in jeopardy. But.. I am honestly thinking sea drone perhaps.?

Fek2pSaXkAASN_5

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom