• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Well, it started last year when I decided that I needed to fill a childhood dream. I looked and looked for a No. 1 in .270. The prices on them really made me pucker!
    I did see, however, a really nice .243 on Gunjoker. My daughter kills deer deader than dead with her Mossberg Patriot in .243, so we already load for it.I bid on it and left for the cabin.
    On my way home, I pulled into a rest area because I was thinking of it all weekend! The auction was ending and I had to pee. I sat in the lot and won the bid. When I got the gun in hand, I was stunned. Perfect except for one tiny ding on the stock.
    When I sighted it in I went right to the 200 yard gong. Thought I missed the first two. Aimed just to the right of the 1.25" hole in the center of the disc plate. Clang! Fourth shot went into the hole just to see. Holy crap! It shoots!!!!
    Fast forward a year. I've been a good boy all year and hid some cash from my wife..... Na, just kidding. Mostly. But anyways...
    Hopped on GunBroker again, saw a nice No. 1 in .270., bid it up stupid. Four different times! I let each one go after I increased my max bid a couple hundred bucks each time. Paid too much the forth time but had only seen four in six months. Came with a nice Leopold scope to boot.If anyone out there was bidding against me, I quit bidding at stupid prices -and you paid more. Enjoy your gun.
    So, I had the gun a bit and finally got to put some rounds through it. Bore sighted using the neighbors doorknob across the street. Made sure it was on paper and made some small adjustments. Heck, let's hit that gong. Three shots and three hits. 2" right and perfect elevation at 200. About a three inch group for the next three shots. I was tired and hungry while I was shooting but I'll take it!
    The trigger is too heavy on the .270 but perfect on the .243. I'll research it a bit and see what I can do. It has not been shot much so it may lighten? I'm not going to wait for it.
    So anyways, I'm hooked on these rifles and would like another someday. The problem is, I just bought two in calibers that cover any hunting I'll ever do. Maybe a stainless laminated job in .300 Win Mag. I don't know. View attachment 297867
    Beautiful guns
    I have always wanted one of those, had opportunities in the past but never pulled the trigger ( no pun intended)

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Beautiful guns
    I have always wanted one of those, had opportunities in the past but never pulled the trigger ( no pun intended)
    It took 40 years for me. I think a full stocked version is next. That's the one I always thought looked the best but I wanted the long barrel to bring more out of a .270.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It took 40 years for me. I think a full stocked version is next. That's the one I always thought looked the best but I wanted the long barrel to bring more out of a .270.
    The RSI has a 20" bbl.
    The muzzle is closer due to no real action length LOL

My .243 was annoying in blast.
    Noticeable even when I shot this....

RSI 8pt.JPG

A .35 rem in an RSI would probably be way more fun and dare I say an ideal timber deer rig.
    Unfortunately, they never made em in that, so it'd be a rebarrel or heaven forbid, rechamber a
    CHP model.

Notice.........red pad.........w ZERO figure in the stock. Sad.
    If one could tolerate that, might as well go stainless w synth.
    Honestly, I wish Ruger did a synth stock like they had on the Red Label "All Weather".
    Just a rugged Rynite type, nothing fancy.

May get a Pendleton stock for my B. Have to send rifle out to them though, as #1s had some changes (think low front of receiver radius change).

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    IMHO for the weight, Ruger #1s kick harder than the should.
    That nice red pad on older one's is just for looks LOL
    Both of mine have the black pad. I'm used to shooting a .45-70 Sharps and a Marlin 1895 so the recoil of the .270 was pretty tame by comparison. Nonexistent in the .243.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The RSI has a 20" bbl.
    The muzzle is closer due to no real action length LOL

My .243 was annoying in blast.
    Noticeable even when I shot this....

View attachment 298403

A .35 rem in an RSI would probably be way more fun and dare I say an ideal timber deer rig.
    Unfortunately, they never made em in that, so it'd be a rebarrel or heaven forbid, rechamber a
    CHP model.

Notice.........red pad.........w ZERO figure in the stock. Sad.
    If one could tolerate that, might as well go stainless w synth.
    Honestly, I wish Ruger did a synth stock like they had on the Red Label "All Weather".
    Just a rugged Rynite type, nothing fancy.

May get a Pendleton stock for my B. Have to send rifle out to them though, as #1s had some changes (think low front of receiver radius change).
    Nice buck! Thick neck on him.
    I bought the 1B for the 26" barrel. It picked up the fps of the two rounds significantly. Both cut through steel targets where the bullets just shattered with sporter length barrels. I don't have a chronograph to compare but effect on target was dramatic. I'll have to move back to 300 if I use these on my steel again. Na, I'll just get more disc plates! Lol.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nice buck! Thick neck on him.
    I bought the 1B for the 26" barrel. It picked up the fps of the two rounds significantly. Both cut through steel targets where the bullets just shattered with sporter length barrels. I don't have a chronograph to compare but effect on target was dramatic. I'll have to move back to 300 if I use these on my steel again. Na, I'll just get more disc plates! Lol.
    The B in .257 Weatherby Mag IIRC has a 28" bbl :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Took my dad's old B quarter rib off.
    Wanted to swap an EGW base for when I get a nicer Leupold to stick on.
    Got it swapped and yeeeesh, killed the looks of the rifle.

Could remove some of rear overhang (not needed where I placed ring).
    The front of base would need to be clearanced for objective.
    The square front is aesthetically putrid.
    Would have to scallop front in profile, but then lose the front mounting screw.
    2 dowels and 3 screws would no doubt be enough on a .22-250.

Also, w medium Signature Zee rings the scope on the EGW base sits up higher than the factory quarter rib w medium Ruger rings.

So..................I put the dang thing back to original.

The Ruger #1 PITA scope system continues. Usable I reckon, but hate Ruger rings as they mark up a scope plus the offset versions (often needed) look like crap.

Really, a custom rib is the way to go on these rifles.
    The EGW has "extra" material, so if a person wanted to mod it could be made to solve ring placement issues common w the factory rib.

However, it does NOT look good on a rifle, in fact detracts quite a bit IMHO.
    But then its 70 bucks vs how much a custom rib would be ?

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    V
    Took my dad's old B quarter rib off.
    Wanted to swap an EGW base for when I get a nicer Leupold to stick on.
    Got it swapped and yeeeesh, killed the looks of the rifle.

Could remove some of rear overhang (not needed where I placed ring).
    The front of base would need to be clearanced for objective.
    The square front is aesthetically putrid.
    Would have to scallop front in profile, but then lose the front mounting screw.
    2 dowels and 3 screws would no doubt be enough on a .22-250.

Also, w medium Signature Zee rings the scope on the EGW base sits up higher than the factory quarter rib w medium Ruger rings.

So..................I put the dang thing back to original.

The Ruger #1 PITA scope system continues. Usable I reckon, but hate Ruger rings as they mark up a scope plus the offset versions (often needed) look like crap.

Really, a custom rib is the way to go on these rifles.
    The EGW has "extra" material, so if a person wanted to mod it could be made to solve ring placement issues common w the factory rib.

However, it does NOT look good on a rifle, in fact detracts quite a bit IMHO.
    But then its 70 bucks vs how much a custom rib would be ?
    Very interesting. I'll put an eye on mine with that in mind.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW leupold makes rings for ruger system, and even an offset ring.

But those clowns put a flat on top of each ring and added a big "L" .

The frustration continues.

I need 2 scopes and a friggin set of non stupid design rings LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Lopped off the back 2 slots on my EGW base, next is removing the pic rail tabs on the front end, 3 of em. Then add a 30 degree bevel to front and that should offer me clearance for scope objective, enough ring placement options, and reduce the blocky look of the base.

It might just work out.

How much needs to go depends on scope and ring choice.

Since the base is taller than the factory quarter rib, a medium puts the scope a little too high for me. See if Burris Zee rings in low solve that. I know the above mention mods will work w mediums, and fit a Leupold 40mm front scope with plenty of room.

Could go mediums and not worry, but then would need to pad the buttstock and that just doesn't seem right on a #1.

There could be more mods to help aesthetics of the EGW down the road. They only make bases for B and V models, however the B version may work on another, can't remember.

Top Bottom