• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Well, it started last year when I decided that I needed to fill a childhood dream. I looked and looked for a No. 1 in .270. The prices on them really made me pucker!
    I did see, however, a really nice .243 on Gunjoker. My daughter kills deer deader than dead with her Mossberg Patriot in .243, so we already load for it.I bid on it and left for the cabin.
    On my way home, I pulled into a rest area because I was thinking of it all weekend! The auction was ending and I had to pee. I sat in the lot and won the bid. When I got the gun in hand, I was stunned. Perfect except for one tiny ding on the stock.
    When I sighted it in I went right to the 200 yard gong. Thought I missed the first two. Aimed just to the right of the 1.25" hole in the center of the disc plate. Clang! Fourth shot went into the hole just to see. Holy crap! It shoots!!!!
    Fast forward a year. I've been a good boy all year and hid some cash from my wife..... Na, just kidding. Mostly. But anyways...
    Hopped on GunBroker again, saw a nice No. 1 in .270., bid it up stupid. Four different times! I let each one go after I increased my max bid a couple hundred bucks each time. Paid too much the forth time but had only seen four in six months. Came with a nice Leopold scope to boot.If anyone out there was bidding against me, I quit bidding at stupid prices -and you paid more. Enjoy your gun.
    So, I had the gun a bit and finally got to put some rounds through it. Bore sighted using the neighbors doorknob across the street. Made sure it was on paper and made some small adjustments. Heck, let's hit that gong. Three shots and three hits. 2" right and perfect elevation at 200. About a three inch group for the next three shots. I was tired and hungry while I was shooting but I'll take it!
    The trigger is too heavy on the .270 but perfect on the .243. I'll research it a bit and see what I can do. It has not been shot much so it may lighten? I'm not going to wait for it.
    So anyways, I'm hooked on these rifles and would like another someday. The problem is, I just bought two in calibers that cover any hunting I'll ever do. Maybe a stainless laminated job in .300 Win Mag. I don't know. IMG_20230817_173507999.jpg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have heard my whole life that they were accurate if you tweaked them. I'm looking forward to playing with them. See what they can do.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ruger #1 triggers.....

my old red pad B has a 3 screw trigger. Can adjust sear engagement (not from outside though).
    Can only go so far and it will bind the safety.

Jard makes a new trigger. Think one has to remove the trigger guard to get it in.

Yup, Penrod is the man on #1s. I'd just take a newer model to him.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had a B in .243, a pre B in .280, an RSI in .243.and currently an old B in .22-250.

An A rebarreled to .35 rem would be ideal, but donor rifles are expensive. Did find another clean redpad B in.22 250. Dude wants a K for it.

Tempting

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    As a young man I bought a #1 in 45-70, a few years later I sold it and bought a Browning B82.
    I now have to many Browning B82's, 1885's and BPCR rifles.
    Ruger builds a one heck of a Falling Block rifle.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I saw one at the Friendship flea market a few years ago...it was in .270, I hope my drool didn't rust it......I think the flea market overprice was $1000......maybe not too bad thinking on it now....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Non rollmmarked CHP #1s in .357 mag are lesser in number than rollmarked and folks want 3-3500 for em. Be easy to rechamber to 35 rem.

But i can have a used non collector rig rebarreled for same.

I shoulda got a .450 BM when CDNN had em for 1300

Top Bottom