• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I own both an 1894 44 mag and a 77/44 mag, I've hunted with the 1894 for several years and will hunt with the 77/44 this year. Here's what I've found, I've only owned one 1894 so I can't say my lever gun is the same as all the other but we all know that.

My 1894 has never been accurate, 4 inches at 100yds is about all I've ever been able to get, I've tried most major brands of ammo and several bullets and powder combo's in reloads I just can't get good results from the gun. The 1894 does allow easy scope mounting but a scope on the gun just throw's the gun out of balance (for me) I've never been able to get comfortable behind a scope on the marlin

the 77/44 is new so I've not got a chance to hunt with it but I have shot it this summer, I've had some scope problems but with a good scope I've have reliable 1-1/2 inch groups with the lever evolution 225's and 2 inch with almost every type of ammo Ive thrown in it.

Of course the scope is mounted in the right spot and comfortable to shoot behind. The only problem I've had from the 77/44 is the magazine is a bit sticky and that's ticking me off but I haven't taken the time to work through that yet

for me the 77/44 is going to the woods and the marlin is staying in the safe

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    BTW I bought a Puma and used it last year, It was the Puma scout rifle and it outshot the marlin but the scope was way up forward and the scope field of view was to small for close moving shots but I did kill deer with it.

If I had to take a lever gun to the woods I would take the puma

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I have a 1894 I bought beginning of this year. I love the gun. I shoot handloads and have been shooting tite groups without a problem. I haven't had a lot of time on the paper but right out of the box with the open sites has been right on the money. This is my go to gun this season and I'm chompin at the bit to test it out. Good luck with your decision

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    I had a marlin 1894 too. I couldn't get the 240 g. bullets to shoot as accurate as I wanted so I sold the gun. I am guessing that the 1-38" barrel twist may have been a little to slow to stabalize the heavier bullets. I have read that the 180 g. bullets shoot well but I didn't try them. I think that most of the other gun companies use a 1-20" twist for that reason.

Top Bottom