• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I live in a split level. My rear deck is elevated and level with the upper floor, and the sewer vent is not far from the deck. Depending on the winds, (none to light and variable) the odor from the sewer vent is noticeable. Sometimes even at ground level near the back of the house if the wind is right. (the ground level in the back yard is about 4' above the floor in the lower level)

Any suggestions for elimiating the odor? Increasing the stack height? Something else wrong?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    That's a tough one. That vent is pretty much connected to the whole sewer system. The sewer is where all smells live... Maybe extending it a few feet might help?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Did you blow any air into the system? Try to blow a trap out or something?
    People have been known to blow the water out of a trap, so the gas has a path up thru the vent.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's a tough one. That vent is pretty much connected to the whole sewer system. The sewer is where all smells live... Maybe extending it a few feet might help?

Online search shows this usually doesnt help. (and is ugly)

Check out OdorHogI put one on my sewer vent because just like with yours you could occasionally smell it in the backyard. It works fantastically well. A bit pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Several reports of those working well.

Did you blow any air into the system? Try to blow a trap out or something?
    People have been known to blow the water out of a trap, so the gas has a path up thru the vent.

No, this is a constant thing. All drains are used regularly so no dry traps. I'm not even sure there is a trap between this vent and the sewer. At least none I am aware of. the pipe goes from the floor in the basement up straight through to the roof.

I've noticed it for years. Its coming to a head now because I have an outdoor party planned for friday night. We dont entertain regularly outdoors so this is the first time it has come up. I can deal with the occasional odor personally, but since I will have guests its kinda embarrasing. Maybe I just need to add a bunch more citronella candles "for mosquito control" ;)

Im wondering if there isnt a trap missing in the overall design.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Online search shows this usually doesnt help. (and is ugly)

Several reports of those working well.

No, this is a constant thing. All drains are used regularly so no dry traps. I'm not even sure there is a trap between this vent and the sewer. At least none I am aware of. the pipe goes from the floor in the basement up straight through to the roof.

I've noticed it for years. Its coming to a head now because I have an outdoor party planned for friday night. We dont entertain regularly outdoors so this is the first time it has come up. I can deal with the occasional odor personally, but since I will have guests its kinda embarrasing. Maybe I just need to add a bunch more citronella candles "for mosquito control" ;)

Im wondering if there isnt a trap missing in the overall design.

I think there should be a trap between any part open to air, and the sewer system.
    The toilet.
    The sink.
    And probably a vent also.

But I could be wrong.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The traps are to the particular fixtures, and not in the vent/sewer itself. I believe it has to remain trapless, so as to allow proper drainage.
    I would totally stuff a tennis ball down it or something
    :D

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A tangent, but one of those OderHogs would also provide a barrier to entry for adventurous but ignorant rodents like squirrels. Even if you don't go the OdorHog route, make sure the vent pipe is secured with some kind of vented cap, or wire mesh and a hose clamp, if nothing else. You can end up with a problem a lot worse than occasional odor if you don't have a rodent barrier in place. Ask me how I know that.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Excellent idea! Stuff a rodent down it!
    Or maybe not poop for a few days?

I wish I could be more help here... I'm thinking extend or reroute the exit pipe.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    The traps are to the particular fixtures, and not in the vent/sewer itself. I believe it has to remain trapless, so as to allow proper drainage.

This.

The venting is placed downstream of the fixture's trap. If not vented and enough water is run through a trap, a siphoning effect could occur pulling the water from the trap. The vents are not trapped.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Maybe try adapting a small roof turbine ventilator on the top of the stack to draw the odors out faster with more dispersal? Might need a few concentric PVC adapters nested together to increase the vent pipe diameter to match the turbine diameter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If your vent is where I believe it is (Memory.:oldwise:) then odor is being trapped by the design of the house and vent position.
    Magic traps are not going to work as there will be odor. I see what that piece is supposed to do and hope it works out for you.
    If it screws up you could have some issues.
    Try it. Hope it works.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe try adapting a small roof turbine ventilator on the top of the stack to draw the odors out faster with more dispersal? Might need a few concentric PVC adapters nested together to increase the vent pipe diameter to match the turbine diameter.

That is counterproductive. Instead of the odors wafting out, I'll be constantly PUMPING it out. I'm pretty sure that will cause a bigger stink. And usually when its a problem it is on calm evenings. So a turbine wouldnt be activated.

And its not like I need to get whats in the pipe out so there isnt odor to come out later; There is more odoriferous gas behind what's in my stack. What you proposed wont "flush out whats in there so there is less to smell later" It will simply pull more gas from the sewer under the street in addition to what is seeping out of the stack.:facepalm:

Top Bottom