• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    The other day I was goofing around on Ebay, and found a set of VZ grips for a Hi-Power that were ending soon for next to nothing, so I bid on them. I won the auction, with less than $11 shipped. Only problem was they were pink.

I had heard of people using Rit Dye

on all kinds of things- grip frames, P-Mags, Knife Scales etc. and figured I'd try my hand at that- and if I wasn't happy with that I'd just put a few light coats of Alumahyde on them and call it good for no more than I'd have in them.
    I did a little research online, and found it to be pretty straightforward. I just bent a coat hanger so it would keep the grips off the bottom of the pot but, still under the dye

Mixed up the package of dye into about 1 1/2 Qts distilled water with about a cup of white vinegar, brought it to a boil and then turned it down to a simmer. I wiped them down with alchohol to try and make sure there was no oil on them, then put them in the dye and let them simmer about 45 minutes

Everything I read had people simmering things from 15-30 minutes but, I figured going from pink to black would be a stretch, and had read that just simmering the G10 in water wouldn't hurt them- so I left them a little longer. I think they turned-out as Johnny Cash as can be

And am really happy with my new set of VZ grips for under $15. I know the original color was part of the manufacturing process, and this is just a surface coating, but everything I read said it held up really well in the longterm. Once I took them out of the dye and rinsed them off I didn't have any black transfer off- even after putting a light coat of Rem-Oil on them. If you have something that you really don't like the color of, don't be scared to try dying it- it's not rocket science. Obviously, going from any color to black should be the easiest.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I've done it to quite a few things. As a warning though, it is absolutely not permanent. If you scratch or guff them, that wonderful pink will come right on through...

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I used to use RIT dye for dyeing discs (frisbees). They started changing the formula (all of the liquid RIT dye packages and certain colors of the powder) so that it would no longer dye plastic discs effectively. I am not sure if that is still the case or not but something to be aware of if you have issues when dyeing plastic.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to use RIT dye for dyeing discs (frisbees). They started changing the formula (all of the liquid RIT dye packages and certain colors of the powder) so that it would no longer dye plastic discs effectively. I am not sure if that is still the case or not but something to be aware of if you have issues when dyeing plastic.

Hey man, like why would one dye a frisbee anyway?

Top Bottom