• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Sweet gun no I have more rifles Have a moa 308 pistol falling block. Somee hi standard target pistols and brownings rest are carry guns.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way with the store behind the links below. Well, they might have some of my money there. Here's some .22lr pistols that look interesting:

Ruger Mark I

Ruger Standard

Ruger Single Six

Browning Challenger

Iver Johnson Trailsman

Anyone know anything about the last two?

The links will go dead when they are sold

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way with the store behind the links below. Well, they might have some of my money there. Here's some .22lr pistols that look interesting:

Ruger Mark I

Ruger Standard

Ruger Single Six

Browning Challenger

Iver Johnson Trailsman

Anyone know anything about the last two?

The links will go dead when they are sold
    The Challenger/Nomad/Medalist and the Trailsman are updated versions of the Colt Woodsman.

The Challenger 2 and the Medalist I have personal experience with and I loved them. No experience with the Trailsman.

The Colts were always worth more, but I don't know if the Browning's will ever catch up. I don't imagine the Iver's will ever catch up.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I just got bit... I've always enjoyed 22lr but im going to be doing a whole lot more range time with mine. So just seeing where yall are at.

I'm a rimfire madman of the highest order Sir, but havn't made it over to this thread very often. I need to fix that. I need to take a new, expanded family pick of my different rimfire rounds. I took this one to show someone the difference in rounds. There's exactly three different rounds in the following pic. Who can name them?

Hint, none are magnum rounds.

IMG_1604.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm a rimfire madman of the highest order Sir, but havn't made it over to this thread very often. I need to fix that. I need to take a new, expanded family pick of my different rimfire rounds. I took this one to show someone the difference in rounds. There's exactly three different rounds in the following pic. Who can name them?

Hint, none are magnum rounds.

View attachment 234755

Stinger, .22lr, Mach 2

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I added three Marlin Model 60s to the herd.

1990 Marlin:

Use me 01.jpg

1979 Marlin Glenfield Model 60:

Use me 05.jpg

1973 Marlin Glenfield Model 60:

Use me 11.jpg

So - what's the best vendor to get replacement buffers from? Best source for parts? I know about MGW and the few things MCarbo has.

@Tyler-The-Piker - you collect these, any tips and.or parts sources?

I do think that .22lr has got a hold on me.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

1990 Marlin:

View attachment 237669

View attachment 237670

View attachment 237671

So - what's the best vendor to get replacement buffers from? Best source for parts? I know about MGW and the few things MCarbo has.

Looks like 3 good ones. Just keep em clean, they can get pretty dirty internally. A weak point is the mag tube, they're somewhat thin and fragile, be very careful if you ever have to disassemble. Numrich for parts. And tech sights

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    weak point is the mag tube, they're somewhat thin and fragile, be very careful if you ever have to disassemble.
    The oldest one has the slip on front sight. It was loose and I had it off and the mag tube comes off with it.

Right now I just checked them out and cleaned things up enough to take them and shoot them.

I'm at a point where tinkering with the guns is almost as much fun as shooting them.

Recently got a Model 81 DL also.

Upload 01.jpg

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

1990 Marlin:

View attachment 237669

View attachment 237670

View attachment 237671

Buffers try Jack First ... https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=374_432_599

I like all the rifles you've pictured but the last one. The combination front sight / magazine support just doesn't do it for me ... no option to replace the front sight with something from Tech Sight or Williams. Tech Sights are amazing on an M-60, but a Williams FP-AG rear peep sight with a narrow Williams front sight is even better.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I like all the rifles you've pictured but the last one.
    Buttttt, everywhere I read older is better. Just kidding - seems like every gun forum has members who think there have never been any improvements in a firearms design.

One reason I like messing with these older guns is learning how they work and how previous designers solved problems and got things to work.

I was always in trouble when I was a kid for taking stuff apart just to see how it worked.

That front sight definitely not an elegant solution and I'd love to hear why they did that.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    How does one make their Ruger 22/45 more reliable? Is it ammo selection alone or upgrading some internal parts? Im tired of failures to feed and to fire. I think its partly related to cleaning, but Ive been better about keeping it cleaned best I can lately, but still have more hiccups than I would like.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

1990 Marlin:

View attachment 237669

View attachment 237670

View attachment 237671

Man, those are some beauties. Now I want one but I am still living frugally until I get to retirement age in 4 years.

I did inherit my late FIL's collection which includes this J.C. Higgins Sears & Roebuck Model 31 in great shape. I have no idea how old it is or it's worth. I recently stripped it to the bone and cleaned it up including the FCG.

The scope is a little wonky, not sure if there is anyone who works on them to clean and re-align the lenses.
    jc_higgins_model-31.JPG

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    How does one make their Ruger 22/45 more reliable? Is it ammo selection alone or upgrading some internal parts? Im tired of failures to feed and to fire. I think its partly related to cleaning, but Ive been better about keeping it cleaned best I can lately, but still have more hiccups than I would like.
    Check your mags.

Possibly try a VQ or Tandemkross firing pin, but failure to fire might be more the ammo than the gun.

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Man, those are some beauties. Now I want one but I am still living frugally until I get to retirement age in 4 years.
    Thanks. I've got the stock for the '73 Model 60 wrapped in plastic and soaking in Citristrip right now.

Took them to the range yesterday. The '73 worked great with CCI Mini Mag, except that the first round doesn't want to load with the round being too high and hitting the barrel face above the chamber. If I helped the first round in then it would run.

The '79 had numerous failure to Fred's and failure to ejects. So it needs some troubleshooting. I had to replace the buffer in this one and also put in a new recoil spring.

The '90 ran great with both CCI Mimi Mags and CCI SV. It did not run with Aguila HV 40 grain RN or RWS match 40 grain RN.

I was inside shooting at 17 yards. Here are my last 18 shots with the '90 Marlin 60 using CCI SV. The bottom left is my last 3 rounds, I quit after that. Shot with the stock iron sights.

M60_90 20221128.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not sure if I posted this here or not, but I picked up a Taurus TX22 Competition. Stuck a refurb'd Viper on it. It's a blast to shoot.

I'm going to run it this winter one drill for one with my 9. Do the drill with the TX, then do it with the 9. This will get me some time with the .22 in preparation for hopefully doing some Rimfire Falling Steel next year. And I will probably shoot some Steel Challenge.

I'm going to pick up 5K of Mini-mags after we get Christmas shopping done so I will be set for next year.

So far, it shoots everything I have used though I am getting to the point that I only shoot Aguila Super Extra 40 gr and Mini-mags since they both seem to work in all my .22's.

Top Bottom