• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thank you to Revere's Riders for providing yet another great training opportunity! Nigel did an excellent job running the show and adapting to any and all situations during the 2-day event. All of the assistance provided by the volunteers and the hospitality of the Bedford Contingent were much appreciated.

I don't get a chance to run my carbines as much as I'd like, so this was a valuable outing for sure. I'm just now beginning to reflect and process the events for areas of potential improvement (there are a LOT). I don't think I've ever shot with a group of folks quiet as squared away as this group of "students". I learned just as much from watching them as I did in critiquing myself.

p.s. BBQ at Smokin Jim's BBQ was an excellent choice. Can't wait to get back down to Bedford for more training...and perhaps another half-rack of ribs.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The mud has dried and my rifle is cleaned and lubed after a productive two days at the always accommodating Bedford Contingent.

There are still a lot of thoughts swimming around my head and so many many takeaways from an event like this. This was my fourth Revere's Riders event and they have all been top notch. Thanks again to everyone who volunteered. You folks did a great job as usual. I never would have guessed it was Nigel's first time running an event if he hadn't told us.

I really enjoyed the chance to try new things, test some gear and really run my rifle. The weather made things interesting at times, especially rolling around in the mud, and braving 30-40 mile an hour winds. I have to echo hammerd13 and say that everyone was truly squared away and a joy to shoot with. It was really a great group of guys and everyone was willing to help each other out, joke around, and stay safe. I always feel like I learn nearly as much by watching others as I do by running the drills myself. Thanks to everyone there for making it such a fun event.

I was a little surprised I was the only one running iron sights only, but that probably explains why it took me three runs to qualify. Otherwise, I was pretty impressed with my Franken-rifle. It ran like a champ and the only malfunctions I had were those that were deliberately caused. I have a lot more confidence now in my ability to not only run the gun, but I gained confidence in the gun itself. I wouldn't hesitate to take it into a gun fight, and I don't know if that's something I could have honestly said last week.

Anyone reading this who hasn't done a RR course, do yourself a favor and take one. And for those who have done a basic rifle, take this carbine class the next time it's offered. You won't regret it. It's well worth the investment.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I'll echo hammerd13 and MCgrease08 on all they said and just add what an upstanding group of guys (and lady) made up this weekend. This was a great time because of the people, the great instruction, and I came away with so much to apply, both moving forward but also getting back to some of my basics. I'll be looking for that basic rifle class.
    The vision that is evident from both Revere's Riders and The Bedford Contingent was great to experience and be a part of.
    Thanks to everyone there, who made it such a great experience.

"V"

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Damn it, you were all supposed to say this was a horrible event so that I wouldn't feel like I missed out. At least the concert was great and I kept the wife happy...that should lead to me being there in October.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    This weekend was eye opening, incredibly informative and a freaking BLAST!! Really appreciated all the hard work that the RR team put into the course.
    I initially thought this was going to be a really serious weekend with a bunch of stone faced shooters but that went out the window once nad63 kicked things off.
    I would never have known this was nad63's first RR class as an instructor, the # of "teachable moments" and humor/improv really made the cirriculum stick.
    On the hospitality front, Bedford Contingent's facilities were modern/clean/warm & the food was amazing. Highlights.. always a hot pot of coffee + fried chicken day 2.
    I really respect what RR's mission, building a safe, informed & competent shooting community. The injection of history lessons into the format were awesome.
    The RR volunteers were really engaged in event, MohawkSlim was a huge resource for my weekend, coaching me through each drill & giving solid pointers.
    Looking forward to more RR events, just signed up for Pop-Up Pistol & Pistol 145 in March!

I'll echo hammerd13 and MCgrease08 on all they said and just add what an upstanding group of guys (and lady) made up this weekend. This was a great time because of the people, the great instruction, and I came away with so much to apply, both moving forward but also getting back to some of my basics. I'll be looking for that basic rifle class.
    The vision that is evident from both Revere's Riders and The Bedford Contingent was great to experience and be a part of.

"V"

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Forgot to mention, really enjoyed the other shooters in attendance! Never a dull moment the entire weekend.
    V, I just retold your joke my coworkers, only an Asian would bring a commie rifle and shoot at American currency!
    MCgrease08, awesome hanging out & thanks for setting up BBQ, that was a fantastic meal, will be back in May!

"V"

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Thank you to Revere's Riders for providing yet another great training opportunity! Nigel did an excellent job running the show and adapting to any and all situations during the 2-day event. All of the assistance provided by the volunteers and the hospitality of the Bedford Contingent were much appreciated.

I don't get a chance to run my carbines as much as I'd like, so this was a valuable outing for sure. I'm just now beginning to reflect and process the events for areas of potential improvement (there are a LOT). I don't think I've ever shot with a group of folks quiet as squared away as this group of "students". I learned just as much from watching them as I did in critiquing myself.

p.s. BBQ at Smokin Jim's BBQ was an excellent choice. Can't wait to get back down to Bedford for more training...and perhaps another half-rack of ribs.

The mud has dried and my rifle is cleaned and lubed after a productive two days at the always accommodating Bedford Contingent.

There are still a lot of thoughts swimming around my head and so many many takeaways from an event like this. This was my fourth Revere's Riders event and they have all been top notch. Thanks again to everyone who volunteered. You folks did a great job as usual. I never would have guessed it was Nigel's first time running an event if he hadn't told us.

I really enjoyed the chance to try new things, test some gear and really run my rifle. The weather made things interesting at times, especially rolling around in the mud, and braving 30-40 mile an hour winds. I have to echo hammerd13 and say that everyone was truly squared away and a joy to shoot with. It was really a great group of guys and everyone was willing to help each other out, joke around, and stay safe. I always feel like I learn nearly as much by watching others as I do by running the drills myself. Thanks to everyone there for making it such a fun event.

I was a little surprised I was the only one running iron sights only, but that probably explains why it took me three runs to qualify. Otherwise, I was pretty impressed with my Franken-rifle. It ran like a champ and the only malfunctions I had were those that were deliberately caused. I have a lot more confidence now in my ability to not only run the gun, but I gained confidence in the gun itself. I wouldn't hesitate to take it into a gun fight, and I don't know if that's something I could have honestly said last week.

Anyone reading this who hasn't done a RR course, do yourself a favor and take one. And for those who have done a basic rifle, take this carbine class the next time it's offered. You won't regret it. It's well worth the investment.

"V"

This weekend was eye opening, incredibly informative and a freaking BLAST!! Really appreciated all the hard work that the RR team put into the course.
    I initially thought this was going to be a really serious weekend with a bunch of stone faced shooters but that went out the window once nad63 kicked things off.
    I would never have known this was nad63's first RR class as an instructor, the # of "teachable moments" and humor/improv really made the cirriculum stick.
    On the hospitality front, Bedford Contingent's facilities were modern/clean/warm & the food was amazing. Highlights.. always a hot pot of coffee + fried chicken day 2.
    I really respect what RR's mission, building a safe, informed & competent shooting community. The injection of history lessons into the format were awesome.
    The RR volunteers were really engaged in event, MohawkSlim was a huge resource for my weekend, coaching me through each drill & giving solid pointers.
    Looking forward to more RR events, just signed up for Pop-Up Pistol & Pistol 145 in March!

hammerd13, MCgrease08, ditcherman and brchixwing thanks for your kind comments on the Rifle 223 event this past weekend. Happy to hear that the Redcoat did a good job running the event :): In all seriousness, Nigel has TONS of experience with firearms (I've shot with him both at training events and casually at the range as well and can personally attest to him being "squared away") and I'm not surprised that he ran the event like a professional. You can find out a little more about Nigel on the RR website: https://www.reveresriders.org/event-director/nigel-downton/

If you enjoyed our Rifle 223 class, take a look at some of our upcoming events:

• March 9 -- Camp Atterbury Pistol "Pop-Up" Target (Edinburgh, IN): this is one of the few chances you will ever get to test your pistol skills on the US Army Pistol Qualification range on the MILITARY side of Camp Atterbury. We won't be providing formal instruction at this event, but you will get to put a TON of rounds downrange on a state-of-the-art computerized multiple target range. We are allowing folks to draw from the holster at this event (subject to some restrictions; see the event description on the RR website) but you can shoot from the low-ready as well if you'd prefer. GO WATCH THE VIDEO FROM LAST YEAR before you pass on getting a ticket to this event. You won't get the opportunity to shoot on this range with anyone else unless you enlist.
    • March 16 -- Pistol 145 (Intro to Defensive Pistol) - One Day (Terre Haute, IN): if you're looking for quality defensive pistol training, this course is what you're looking for. Revere's Riders has partnered with John Viray of ACT (obijohn here on INGO) to offer three Pistol 145 (Intro to Defensive Pistol) courses in 2019. You will learn proper technique to safely and confidently draw from a holster as well as many other defensive pistol techniques. John Viray has decades of firearms training and competition experience and is highly qualified to teach this course.
    • June 1-2 -- Rifle 262 (Field Rifle) - Two Day (Camp Atterbury, IN): this is a course that we intermittently offer; if you are interested in learning or honing your 3-position rifle marksmanship skills, this is the event you will want to attend for 2019. We will again be utilizing the fabulous known-distance ranges on the MILITARY side of Camp Atterbury for this event (we will be shooting out to at least 400 yards and possibly 600 yards). This event will build on the skills you learned in Rifle 125 and put them into practice at actual distance.

All of the above events are unique offerings in the state of Indiana and we expect the limited number of tickets to sell out. Note that you can subscribe to the Revere's Riders "Upcoming Events" email newsletter via the form in the footer of the RR website.

We hope to see everyone at one (or more!) of our upcoming 2019 events.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I'll second (third? fourth?) all of the positive comments. This was my fourth RR event and the best yet. Great instruction and atmosphere. The cruddy weather made it even better getting to test gear in somewhat adverse conditions. I appreciate all of the effort that the RR instructors and volunteers put into making this the great event it was. Also, a big thanks to the Bedford Contingent for being such gracious hosts.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    To continue the echo chamber, I can't think of a better way to spend the weekend. A great group of shooters and instructors made for a phenomenal experience. This was my second course with RR, and certainly won't be the last. Another thanks to Bedford Contingent for hosting. Lessons learned, skills assessed, and fun had all along the way. Huzzah!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I was a little surprised I was the only one running iron sights only

You weren't the only one! But we were certainly the minority.
    My only regret was not sending a few down toward the 300yd steel w/ 'em...

I can only echo the praise for the instruction (superb as always) and the fabulous facilities we were able to use.
    Doubly impressive was the quality of shooters present. Well regulated indeed!

As gopher mentions, these upcoming events are second to none. I've participated in both the Pop-Up and the Field Rifle previously (and I'm going back for another helping!)
    You'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else where you can experience this kind of action locally. You won't find a better group herding all the cats together to make it possible.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    My only regret was not sending a few down toward the 300yd steel w/ 'em....
    Range rules require 5 hits at 200yards in succession before being allowed to go to 300 yards.
    Logistics for THIS event preclude that, especially with 40 mph winds and 16 shooters on the line.
    If we went to 300 yards you, or someone like you would want to go to 400 .... I get it bro.
    Looks like the June 1&2 offering at Atterbury would meet your needs.
    Come on out and shoot 300, 400 and maybe 500 too.
    Be careful what you wish for you just might get it!
    Congrats on being “Well Regulated” and look forward to seeing you in June if you can make it.
    Atterbury never fails to deliver and ‘Huff’ is an Excellent ED.
    The thirst for doing more, getting better, going further draws us all in, like a moth to a flame.
    Murica.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Well I'm certainly very sorry that I had to bail out on Sunday. I woke up that morning feeling ill to the point I flat out did not trust myself to pick up a rifle. Enjoyed Saturday though, definitely a valuable experience to get the rifle muddy shooting through the holes in those barricades. I'll be back at some point to officially get well-regulated.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    You weren't the only one! But we were certainly the minority.
    As gopher mentions, these upcoming events are second to none. I've participated in both the Pop-Up and the Field Rifle previously (and I'm going back for another helping!)
    You'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else where you can experience this kind of action locally. You won't find a better group herding all the cats together to make it possible.

Thanks for backing me up on that!

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    My only regret was not sending a few down toward the 300yd steel w/ 'em...

You might be interested in a trip that myself, Nigel and Jake Woodcock made down to the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park a few weeks ago: https://www.reveresriders.org/news/2019/02/aar-cmp-talladega-marksmanship-park/
    You can read more about the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park here: https://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/

CMP Talladega has a rifle range with electronic targets that display your hits on a monitor AT YOUR SHOOTING POSITION with targets out to 600 yards. To say CMP Talladega is "state of the art" is damning with faint praise. We are considering organizing a trip with a larger group of Revere's Riders folks sometime later this year. We don't have any solid plans (or a date) as of yet, but let us know if you would be interested in joining us on a trip like this.

A visit to the CMP South Store would also be part of the trip (the store is not far from the range).

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well I had a great time!
    Nigel (nad63) is a great instructor and his beard didn’t get in the way! Thanks to the support staff for all the hard work keeping us fed and making the training possible during 40mph winds.
    Smoking Jim’s was a great experience it was like being on INGO in person.
    This class had a serious group of students that can shoot. The drills progressively built up to the qualifier and challenged everyone.
    It was great to see all the weapons covered in mud after day one and still functioning fine it gives a person confidence you can’t get on a “square range”. Weapons were a mix a Bren and AK were the atypical, every AR configuration was present from “Franken Guns” to high dollar DD, BCM and everything in between. Optics ranged from high end red dots and scopes to irons, slings were in just about every configuration possible the same with gear from full chest rigs and battle belts to a couple mags in a pocket. If you have a “zeroed” rifle a sling a few mags with eyes and ears you can participate.
    This class is invaluable to a shooter that has not experienced this type of marksmanship at most ranges you are not going to engage targets from 3 yards to 200 yards from multiple shooting positions. So get off the couch and see if that rifle actually works!
    I have to say this again I dare anyone to find a better value than a RR event, I have paid twice as much to have a instructor spend a large amount of the training time trying to sell you gear or tell you why you need to set up your equipment a certain way.

Thanks to to everyone that helped test the new Troy magazines I am going to attempt to get swag from them for the next event.

It was great to meet new INGO people that you only know as a screen name !

Hammerd13 seems to be getting faster and better as I get older and slower!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You might be interested in a trip that myself, Nigel and Jake Woodcock made down to the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park a few weeks ago: https://www.reveresriders.org/news/2019/02/aar-cmp-talladega-marksmanship-park/
    You can read more about the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park here: https://thecmp.org/competitions/talladega-marksmanship-park/

CMP Talladega has a rifle range with electronic targets that display your hits on a monitor AT YOUR SHOOTING POSITION with targets out to 600 yards. To say CMP Talladega is "state of the art" is damning with faint praise. We are considering organizing a trip with a larger group of Revere's Riders folks sometime later this year. We don't have any solid plans (or a date) as of yet, but let us know if you would be interested in joining us on a trip like this.

A visit to the CMP South Store would also be part of the trip (the store is not far from the range).

CMP Talladega is a Hajj for any shooter. Planning on it this year.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm late to the thread for the post op. This was a great group of shooters at this event! From the similar screen names it appears as though the Larry Vickers course in June is going to be a reunion of sorts. :-)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know it's been a couple of weeks, but I wanted to post the group photo for those who haven't seen it. I pulled this from the Revere's Riders Facebook page. What a good looking group.

PaqxINH
    S3GgLGq.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom