• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Got my ticket! I wouldn't miss your ED debut for all the tea in Boston Harbor! I just might run a carbine newer than 1943 on this go around!

Ouch, you going to take that Nad63? Too soon?
    I don't know if that joke was intentional Joker, but pure gold either way. Kidding aside, I'm pretty stoked for this one also and for the same reason!
    In keeping with Revere's Riders focus on history I think Nad is what they call a turncoat for our side. :): :patriot:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Early bird special was advertised to end on the 8th. Tried to get one today @ 1900 EST on the 8th and it was gone.
    Since it didn’t state it would end at COB (5pm) the deadline is extended to 2330.
    You are good to go now.
    Hope to see you there.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have a good zero on my red dot all that left to do is remove it and oil underneath the sight in case it rains or snows.

Last edited:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    This time next week we will see if you are “Well Regulated”....or not.
    Anyone still not signed up needs to do so before you miss it.
    Start stretching now and don’t forget the ibuprofen.

Joker,
    Ill be collecting your delinquent tea and stamp taxes before you get to play!
    See you Saturday:rockwoot:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm still on the fence about camping. The polar vortex seriously has me rethinking that plan simply because I don't have extreme cold weather gear. If I knew for sure the weather was going to be above 30 degrees I would probably though it out, but if temps are way down I don't want to suffer through it just because.

I am going to check into local hotels. I know there are a few real close by, but plenty along 37 both north and south of Bloomington.

Heck last time I drove the two hours back to Fishers for the night then back for day two. It wasn't ideal but doable. And that was when there was still construction all along 37.

I wimped out on the camping. Booked a room for Sat. night at the Comfort Inn.

Really looking forward to this event. :ar15:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011

Hey a man needs to know his limitations.

I spoke with Chilli last week and he said it was quite ‘soft’ back there.
    Should not be a problem unless someone arrives in a firebird loaded with 10,000 rounds and a bunch of antique guns ......paging Joker.
    Really looking forward to this one too.
    See you Saturday.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Cross-posting here in case anyone isn't following along in the other thread in the Tactics and Training forum, but some of us are getting together for dinner at Smokin's Jim's BBQ on Saturday.

We have 8 who have RSVP'd so far. If you're interested in joining us, you can reply using the link below, and I will call them Wed. to give them a head count.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s-two-day-carbine-feb-23-24-2019-bedford.html

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Should not be a problem unless someone arrives in a firebird loaded with 10,000 rounds and a bunch of antique guns ......paging Joker.
    Really looking forward to this one too.
    See you Saturday.

In the spirit of Patrick Henry: "Give me my firebird and antique guns or give me death!"

Sfrye5853

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just got my first AR-15 and looking forward to the 223 class this fall. I do have a couple questions as I finish furnishing the rifle.
    What kind of sling is recommended for this class and all around use? 2point or 3point?
    What optics are preferred, red dot, vs something like a 1x6 scope?

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Just got my first AR-15 and looking forward to the 223 class this fall. I do have a couple questions as I finish furnishing the rifle.
    What kind of sling is recommended for this class and all around use? 2point or 3point?
    What optics are preferred, red dot, vs something like a 1x6 scope?
    Congrats on the AR purchase.
    What you plan on using the gun for will dictate how you set it up.
    0-200 then a red dot or a scope would work well. 300, 400 , 500 then a scope would be better in my opinion.
    Start of with irons and get familiar with the platform gen go from there. Some guys stick to just iron sights and don’t go further than that.
    Forget a 3 point sling. 2 point and 2 point/1 point convertible slings will serve you better.
    Don’t be in a hurry to trick out your AR. Savour the journey and add items once you have established your needs.
    Remember there’s not one single choice that’s perfect for every use or situation.
    AR ‘s are infinitely customisable to your needs ..... for a price :):
    These RR ‘carbine’ classes are the ideal class to see exactly what it is you need to dust tango’s from 0-25, 25-50, 50, 100, 200 and all distances in between.
    Good luck and I hope to see you on the line.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Yea camping in the rain is no fun, especially if you're going to lay in the mud for two days listening to a drill sergeant, or whatever it is we're going to do.
    So, just to be clear, there is a Comfort inn in Bloomington, but the Quality Inn and suites is the one right across from the delicious gun toting' BBQ place right? (Along with the Super 8)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yea camping in the rain is no fun, especially if you're going to lay in the mud for two days listening to a drill sergeant, or whatever it is we're going to do.
    So, just to be clear, there is a Comfort inn in Bloomington, but the Quality Inn and suites is the one right across from the delicious gun toting' BBQ place right? (Along with the Super 8)

Yeah I'm at the Quality Inn & Suites next to the Super 8. I was going off the top of my head and not looking at the reservation.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    As long as we don’t have to sleep in it!

We Get Smoking Joes at 1900, I have a nice room at the Quality Inn life is good!

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Congrats on the AR purchase.
    What you plan on using the gun for will dictate how you set it up.
    0-200 then a red dot or a scope would work well. 300, 400 , 500 then a scope would be better in my opinion.
    Start of with irons and get familiar with the platform gen go from there. Some guys stick to just iron sights and don’t go further than that.
    Forget a 3 point sling. 2 point and 2 point/1 point convertible slings will serve you better.
    Don’t be in a hurry to trick out your AR. Savour the journey and add items once you have established your needs.
    Remember there’s not one single choice that’s perfect for every use or situation.
    AR ‘s are infinitely customisable to your needs ..... for a price :):
    These RR ‘carbine’ classes are the ideal class to see exactly what it is you need to dust tango’s from 0-25, 25-50, 50, 100, 200 and all distances in between.
    Good luck and I hope to see you on the line.

Nigel brings up 3 good points here that I will reiterate:

1. how you plan to use the rifle will dictate how you set it up -- this is primarily a consideration of what target ranges you anticipate encountering. Irons, a red dot or low power scope (less than 6x or so) will server you fine out to 200 yards. Beyond 200 yards, you may want to switch to a scope of no more than 10x (at least for .223/5.56 which is only effective out to 600 yards or so). You may well decide that you need two (or more) rifles setup for different purposes.
    2. don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff before you have a chance to see what other folks are using, talk to them about what they like/don't like about their setup and perhaps put a magazine or two through someone else's rifle. It's easier to make an informed purchase after hands-on research rather than take some internet keyboard jockey's word that XYZ will let you blow the wings off a mosquito at 600 yards.
    3. what works for someone else may not work for you. The beauty of the AR-15 is that it can be customized in myriad ways to your own personal preferences. That also means that there are a bunch of options that take time to investigate whether they will work for you or not.

IOW, pay attention to what other experienced folks are using, ask them questions and ask to try their rifle before buying.

Top Bottom