• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    After Rolling Stone got sold it's no longer the magazine it used to be. And to be fair, this shouldn't be a right wing anthem, it should be a frustrated American anthem, but it's fun to watch the media try to spin it so the lefties don't like it!
    I don’t know when they were sold, but I pretty much decided Rolling Stone was nothing but bird cage liner by the mid 80s, I don’t even remember what pissed me off about them, but I knew way back then that they didn’t speak for us lowly midwestern hicks.

With millions of media outlets now, I honestly didn’t even know they were still in existence.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Oliver backstory is that about 30 days ago he got on his knees and asked God for help. And got sober and went all in on his music and decided to push the button and put his songs out there. At a concert the other day before his singing he read some of Psalm 37 from the Bible to the crowd and got emotional. Revival isn’t a church full of people, revival is people getting full of God. Psalm 37 is mine also, almost 40 years ago when my pastor said it was for me.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana

My thoughts in bold below. I know my view won't be popular here and I'm fine with that. Someone needs to say it.

This song is sentimentalism and victimhood masquerading as some "working man's anthem".

Enjoy.

Oliver Anthony Lyrics

"Rich Men North Of Richmond"

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day (get a different job)
    Overtime hours for bullsh*t pay (get a different job)
    So I can sit out here and waste my life away
    Drag back home and drown my troubles away (don't drink your troubles away, super bad for you, live a disciplined life, not one of indulgence)
    It's a d*mn shame what the world's gotten to (what the world has gotten to or what we have made of the world?)
    For people like me and people like you
    Wish I could just wake up and it not be true (that's a childish escapist fantasy)
    But it is, oh, it is

Livin' in the new world
    With an old soul (people talk about being "an old soul" a lot, it is nonsense)
    These rich men north of Richmond
    Lord knows they all just wanna have total control (then stop living in ways that give them more control, exercise self control, raise your family well, stay married)
    Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do (stop downloading the latest spyware apps)
    And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
    'Cause your dollar ain't sh*t and it's taxed to no end (I don't have much on this one BUT...don't just blame the left for destroying the dollar and our taxation levels)
    'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I wish politicians would look out for miners
    And not just minors on an island somewhere
    Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat (so then feed them, the ones you see, where you live)
    And the obese milkin' welfare

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds
    Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds
    Young men are puttin' themselves six feet in the ground (this is a big issue, but...the solution to it isn't embracing victimhood)
    'Cause all this d*mn country does is keep on kickin' them down (eh...could move to another country I suppose? Nigeria is probably hiring)

Lord, it's a d*mn shame what the world's gotten to
    For people like me and people like you
    Wish I could just wake up and it not be true
    But it is, oh, it is

Livin' in the new world
    With an old soul
    These rich men north of Richmond
    Lord knows they all just wanna have total control
    Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do
    And they don't think you know, but I know that you do
    'Cause your dollar ain't sh*t and it's taxed to no end
    'Cause of rich men north of Richmond

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day
    Overtime hours for bullsh*t pay

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I do agree with "don't just blame the left for destroying the dollar and our taxation levels"

But the rest sounds like just talking down to him.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Some other song Lyrics with my comments in Bold:

Baby we were born to runnnnn. Hey coward, stay and face your troubles.
    Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids, in fact it's cold as hell. So don't raise them there dummy.
    And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?" Sounds like you've been drinkin' Boy.
    Oh, Momma, I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law! Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
    I love that old time rock-and-roll OK Boomer, try to listen to some new music why don't you?
    Hey Teacher, leave them kids alone! There's no discipline left in the schools, that's why kids are weak.
    Get your money for nothing and your chicks for free. Get a job loser, and you can meet a respectable girl.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I can't believe there aren't comments here already.
    I suppose that most people did what I did and thought up a really good reply, then just moved on because it's not worth it.

Honestly, not sure what the point of this thread is other than to troll the members. It's like the OP is waving around a sign that says "Hey everyone, look at me!! I have an opinion that I know lots of people won't agree with but I really feel the need to let EVERYONE know about it rather than just moving along because like I said, Someone had to say it!!"

I'm just not in the mood to feed the trolls or even give two sh**s about someone's opinion on the internets.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I suppose that most people did what I did and thought up a really good reply, then just moved on because it's not worth it.
    iu

Top Bottom