• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I want to stock up on rice, but I can't eat it plain. I need some recipes, and seasonings. Rather than stock up on "Instant Rice-a-Roni" packages that are pre-seasoned, I need to be able to make meals from it myself.

1) Need Recipes

2) Need a source to buy the seasonings (unless they are simple grocery store items)

3) How long will it last?

4) Best storage container

Help me make rice edible. lol :n00b:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I may be able to help a little.I do not care that much for rice,but it has been worked into my diet so I could figure out this exact thing.
    Face it plain rice is bland and not all that pleasant to eat(yes I am a spoiled American and proud of it).
    Ok some basics to make it more edible that are also good with long term storage. bullion cubes,they are your friend. You can get beef,chicken,and pork cubes at an grocery.I buy the large bulk containers of different flavors.These also have the added benefit of containing a huge amount of sodium, and salt is a required nutrient for all humans. You can split up the bulk pagages into seperate small mylar packages(use the extra you have to cut off from making buckets of rice).I did not mix flavors in the smaller packages,and put all 3 flavors in each bucket.

Bulk spices. I have cayenne pepper,lemon pepper,salt,pepper,cinnimon,and louisiana hotsauce ect.. packed in there own mylar lined bucket.The lousiana hot sauce I packed recently had a best by date of 2016,being the only liquid the rest should last indefinatly.

Cheese
    Powder canned cheese,or on the cheap you can pack your own in mylar bags to put in your buckets.Gordons food service(GFS) next to Smokey Bones(restraunt south of Greenwood mall on US 31)carries bulk bagged powder cheese and LOTS of different bulk spices,25lb bags of salt ect..
    There is also a variety of canned freeze dried shredded cheese.

Meat
    Canned ham last 10+ years. Ham with some spices can make a pretty taste rice.I tried it with spam...and well I found out I just can not stand the stuff.Canned roast beef with gravy though!!! That one is a huge hit.Hormel sells a variety of canned roast beef at every grocery store(usually around the tuna somewhere)that is actually very good and last 8-10 years judging by the best used by date on the cans.Canned chicken,only get the white breast meat type.The mixed type is almost not meat in my opinion,where the white is actually quite good.

Vergtables
    Plan to grow some in the garden. Tomatos in my opinion make anything better :) But for storage get the freeze dried stuff from Freeze Dried Corn, Peas, Carrots and more from Honeyville they are actually very well priced. Yes I have used Emmergency essintials,but generally if you can get it directly from the manufacturer it is less expensive like Honeville Grains.
    We experiment a ton.Everyone has slightly different taste.I recommed keeping a bag of plain rice around and as a side dish experiment with things you know you can store long term and figure out what works.This is what we are currently trying.

4cups rice
    1 can Hormel roast beef w/gravy
    1 beef bulion
    1 can of any vegtable(using canned drained not our freeze dried storage just yet)
    1 teaspoon of cayanne pepper

4 cups rice
    1 can chicken
    3 tbsp lemon pepper
    salt and pepper to taste

4 cups rice
    1 can stew tomatos
    1 cup of diced ham
    cayenne pepper,salt,pepper to taste

the rice is COOKED cups. Do not use 4 cups of raw rice unless you have a small army lol.
    Hope that helps some.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    But I cant eat it plain.

Then you are not hungry enough.

Rice is a blank slate, Spanish- garlic, cayenne, onion, chilis, beans. Asian-soy sauce, garlic, onion, veggies etc.

Just cooking it with chicken bullion cubes will change the flavor.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I cook by feel, rather than recipe, so mine are pretty generic. I usually spice to taste.

Cooked Rice + Eggs + Milk + Sugar + Cinnamon on Stove Top = Rice Pudding

Rice + Chicken + Mushrooms + Boulion + Water + butter = Nice simple one dish meal.

Rice + Butter + Olive Oil + Onion + Carrot + Peas + Chicken Stock + Saffron (if fancy) = Nice rice side dish.

Dry rice + Mortar and Pestle = Emergency Rice flour. For thickening whatever when combined with a fat.

Cooked Rice + Cream of Chicken Soup + Chicken = Simple Main dish. Add vegetable if wanted.

Cooked Rice + Salt + Butter = Eat as you would mashed potatoes.

It works almost any place you would use other starches. In stews/soups, etc.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    If you like peanut butter on hot bread/toast, try mixing peanut butter into hot rice...tastes very much the same (no butter or anything else in the rice). You'll decide how much PB to put in! I like the crunchy, and lots of it :)

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'll give you my famous recipe for authentic from my Caribbean aunt pea's and rice.

1 can of pigeon peas( or red beans)
    6-8 cups of coconut milk
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 whole scallions crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons of dried thyme or 2 sprigs fresh
    2 cups of rice
    2 teaspoons of salt

combine all ingredients bring to a boil and then add rice and simmer for 20 minutes covered.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Jambalaya, etoufee... try some cajun recipes and you will love rice.

We keep mostly brown rice now a days. It has a bit of a nutty flavor and I think it is better tasting.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    1 can of spam, small onion, 4 eggs.
    Chop spam and onion cook in pan add eggs, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper to taste .
    Serve over a bed of rice just like they do on the "Big Island"

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    What about for storage? I plan on grabing some bags this weekend and will be filling a 3L bottle full at least.

But what about other cheap long term options?

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Long-term rice storage? Easy.

First, you will need some oxygen absorbers like these from eBay: oxygen absorbers, Sporting Goods, Home Garden items on eBay.com

Then, go to GAMMA SEALS AS LOW AS $4.58 EACH and get yourself some Gamma lids.

Get some 5 gal buckets from Lowe's, Menard's, etc. Clean them all out well with a 1:5 bleach water solution. Make sure you rinse them really, really well. Turn the buckets upside down at a slight tilt for several hours to dry.

After the bucket and lid assemblies are all dry, you can put the lids on the buckets and fill them to your heart's content. Put in as many oxygen absorbers as you will need. I use the smaller ones, and 4 of them will easily take care of a 5gal bucket.

Some guys I know even go the extra step and put their food into mylar bags inside the buckets.

Top Bottom