• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    PXL_20230701_215639637.PORTRAIT.jpg I mean, I've read it on the Internet!

For reals: don't believe it. It has happened to me. 7/1/23 at Range USA, actually. Shortly after 1200pm to be even more pacific.

Bullet jump / crimp jump. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/terminology/general-terms/crimp-jump/

Shot 5 out of 5 in a S&W 642. FACTORY loaded Remington .38 Special +p. I cannot find the load on their website. Semi-jacketed HP bullet - somwhere in the 115-130 grain area. (all current loadings with SJHP bullets show nickle-plated brass. My ammo is all brass.

I was shooting... 4 shots no problem. #5 wouldn't rotate into place. I initially thought I had a trigger issue. Further examination showed me the bullet sticking out past the front of the cylinder.

All 5 empties ejected...along with a load of powder from #5. The bullet stayed in the cylinder.

Because this revolver SUCKS to shoot - I rarely do. This ammo had been riding in this gun for ... a while. Can tell by the condition of the brass...

Further examination of the case last night (not pictured) revealed a small crack in the case mouth.

If I'd been doing my due diligence - this never would've happened. I SHOULD have shot this ammo up before now.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    When revolvers do fail - they fail really, really bad. It's usually not just a tap-rack drill. Anything involving the ejector star pretty much turns it into a paper weight for the moment.

The kind of stuff that really shuts a revolver down, is the kind of stuff an experienced user should notice and see coming. But - these are also the type of guns some experts say are ideal for inexperienced users, so it bears noting.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    When revolvers do fail - they fail really, really bad. It's usually not just a tap-rack drill. Anything involving the ejector star pretty much turns it into a paper weight for the moment.

This.

“rEvOlVeRs NeVeR jAm!” This statement is made by someone who’s never shot revolvers in any volume before. Sure, on the surface they seem more mechanically simple, but pop that sideplate off and things get crazy fast. And yes, while an auto my be more apt to jam, they’re also usually MUCH easier to clear. When a revolver jams, you better hope you have a BUG, because chances are the revolver won’t be useful any time soon!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    To be fair, this looks more like an ammo failure than a revolver malfunction.
    Ammo failures cause malfunctions, yes. Ammo failure does not mean the firearm failed, per se. It’s not the gun’s fault the crimp failed on the ammo, but the design of a revolver is such that an ammo failure can easily become catastrophic in a defensive situation.

So while the cause was not the gun’s fault, the gun’s design is part of the end issue. Doesn’t make revolvers “bad,” it just means someone carrying one needs to be aware of the potential for this kind of issue to arise.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis

The kind of stuff that really shuts a revolver down, is the kind of stuff an experienced user should notice and see coming. But - these are also the type of guns some experts say are ideal for inexperienced users, so it bears noting.
    It really sucks when the ejecter stare jumps the rim of the cartridge. Ive seen that a few times in my classes and its extremely time consuming to fix.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They can get jammed up BAD if the rim is too wide for the gap. This can occur with out of spec ammo, or a gun with tight tolerances and it gets a bit gummed up.

MAC had one do it on a judge.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    MAYBE it wasnt really factory ammo , someone could have repackaged it maybe? I line up all the ammo going into my clip/magazine in a row to see if ALL ammo is the same highth , to check for any abnormalties . I have caught some that were either too high or too low.Dont know if it matters but I do it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Six (five) for sure" isn't. One of the many reasons for running wadcutters in smaller lightweight revolvers is how incredibly resistant to crimp jumping they are. If you're snubby is like high fiving a sledge hammer to fire, your ammunition is being subjected to that same rearward acceleration that your palm is. Wadcutters are seated deep, are more efficient in their powder use, and have lower recoil. Terminal ballistics and resistance to deflection are quite good.

Switch to WC ammo, make sure you don't have any high primers, clean under the extractor star, and you've got a machine that's about as reliable as anything man made can be until you get into higher round counts. Springs wear out in revolvers just like they do in semi-autos, metal on metal parts wear and timing can be off, etc. Few people will shoot a snubby to that point, though.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Well here we go again:ugh:.
    Yes revolvers can fail just like autoloaders.
    This is NOT a revolver fail this is a ammo fail. When you have a autoloader that won't feed a certain brand or style of ammo but feeds a different brand or style of ammo it is NOT the guns fault if you try to use the ammo it doesn't like.
    If your autoloader has malfunctions with one particular magazine then DON'T use that magazine anymore. It's not the guns fault it's that magazines fault.
    Op found a cracked case mouth so that is certainly not the revolvers fault and maybe not even the ammo makers fault as it happens some times(I wouldn't condemn a ammo manufacture for one bad round). I always check the primers and crimp on my carry ammo for revolvers and autoloaders.
    If you are getting bullet creep with a certain brand all the time DON'T use that brand of ammo in that gun.

I've said it before and here it is again. A revolver can fail but it is many times less likely to fail than a autoloader and that includes actual gun failures(parts breakage) and malfunctions either operator induced or gun induced.

Carry what you are comfortable with and know how to use it.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    MAYBE it wasnt really factory ammo , someone could have repackaged it maybe?
    Say what you want but I don’t carry anything I don’t load myself. Most “factory” ammo is barely up to spec.

It’s like calling something ‘military grade.’ Most of it is the cheapest materials available.

Top Bottom