• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    He asked me to tag the steel with my 50 BMG, to show how it stands up to such a large round with the high power behind it. I had already set up my hilllbilly stand up at 100 yards (an old swingset frame from god knows what year, 60's, 70's?), so I figured I'd hit it as close as possible so that he could show all that this steel is the real thing.

At first I was leary of hitting it as such a close range, (the video of the muffs being knocked off the guy on a recoil, as well as a API round coming back at your house and imbedding itself in a window sill, makes you a little shy with a 50BMG at that range.) After I had peppered it with all sorts of 223/556, 5.45, .308, and 30-06, I had seen that the angle of the steel and the give the swinging of it had threw the rounds directly into the ground at about a 90 degree angle, I was convinced that I could test the 50 at 100 yards.

Here is the first round fired into it. Everything before the 50BMG hit just slightly swung the steel. The 50BMG violently knocked it back, dang near taking it hanging to 90 degrees straight back.

I made a nice splash on impact, and found it's way into the ground. First hit the steel gets an A+.

a7c0a0cb.jpg

Here is the back of it with the slight give in the steel (less than an 1/8th I'd say, probably much less)

18535ec6.jpg

I could have stopped at one shot and did a review, but I wanted to test it out a few more further. I shot it three times, one after the other to try to get a small group. As you can see M33 Ball ammo that was pulled from links isn't the most accurate stuff.

62dac41b.jpg

The rounds hit decently close and didn't bulge it out too much like the first did.

2dacb1c1.jpg

19fb55ac.jpg

Here is the hillbilly rig that I set up in a matter of minutes, boat rope and all...

ef83ae2f.jpg

42524326.jpg

Here in this picture you can see how the rounds go off of the steel directly into the ground. A big old round such as the 50BMG tears some ground up.

5723ea27.jpg

CIMG1099.jpg

This is the slight angle that it was shot at.

The steel held up well after this test. A few days later I peppered in with probably 400 rounds of 5.45 and 223/556 to hit the marks where the 50BMG impacted to see if it weakened the area at all, and the steel took it and kept on smiling like nothing happened. :rockwoot:

I also had 1/2 bolts holding the steel in place with the chain, after these hits is almost sheared the bolts off. I've replaced it with carriage bolts now, and they seem to hold up much better.

Anyways, the AR500 is good stuff, I seriously doubt I could punch a hole into it, unless I was using API rounds (which obviously would punch right through). I've ordered a few sets, and intend on placing them out in the riverbottoms here once I get enough swingset frames. :D

Really the only problem is that I need to quit letting these a$$hole relatives and friends of mine to stop shooting the chain. May have to take an ammo tax on all the 223/556 that gets shot here.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom