• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since this is my retirement thread I thought I'd do this update.
    These insights were spurred b/c of a death in my favorite "foster" family (on another thread).

Retirement has been rough on the ego. :bash:
    - not working, where I was a "big fish" (teaching H.S. & shaping the minds of tomorrow)
    - changed churches, leaving my leadership role where everyone knew me & was another "big fish"
    - being hassled on INGO occasionally, & treated like a minnow in the past. :scratch:

The reality of online communication can be some are drinking while doing so. :40oz:
    I still remember the sting over being told not to participate on the CZ site. :nono:
    Many of my favorite members were there who got me started down the CZ road. :thumbsup:
    But, that was better than being "banned" though. :dunno:
    It was very humbling & I had never been treated by others like that except maybe in a disgruntled parent meeting over their child in my class who was misbehaving & the parent was in denial. :lmfao:
    I know my direct communication style puts some people off, that & being too wordy! :blahblah:
    Admittingly, I did made lots of unintentional dumb mistakes early on in my posting.
    That wore on the monitors here who lost their patience with me.
    In all fairness, they forgave most of my mistakes of which I appreciated. :ingo:
    It's been nearly 5 years now & I've tried to stay under the radar & mostly post on my own threads so people can avoid if they don't care for my style. :coffee:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just adding to my retirement thread.
    I've been able to have a little fun buying, shooting & selling, then repeat, the last few months since prices have settled down a bit.
    I really wish I'd kept a couple I'd sold (like I'd been told) :wallbash: b/c I had this great Canik competition gun I've picked up from Zackcz that was awesome.
    They are selling for alot more than I sold mine for, plus I've had to replace it as a house gun, costing me more $$. :nono:

Haven't shot the air guns much the last few months since I got on a .22LR kick since prices have settle down a but & I felt empowered to hit my stash.
    Plus, I bought a few larger calibers that needed vetting. :laugh:
    Always a pleasure getting back to the normal guns after shooting air guns.
    I just can't beat the savings of using pellets since I bought 20k for 1 cent each. :rockwoot:
    I'll probably pay on the other end when I sell the air guns, since they won't sell as well as the norm, not on this forum, at least, which is not unexpected.

With my modest teacher retirement "pile," my hobby $$ are slipping away.
    Plus, who wants to take money out of a pile while values are down in today's market.
    I've got a small Roth account that went from $30k down to $22k since January & that was in the 1st 6 months & now we are getting ready for the 9th month of the year: crap! :poop:

Went to the "Bodyzone" (Community North Heart & Vascular gym) 3x this week & rode bicycles with the wife 3x this week, so keeping active.
    Still can't keep up with the wife most of the time, just no endurance.

Feel good about trimming back to only 2 rifles:
    - CZ 455 bolt
    - CZ 512 semi
    I've picked up a few .22LR handguns that I shouldn't have sold.
    I'm learning what Aeroflyer tried to teach me: keep what you enjoy shooting, not just what is the most accurate.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just adding to my retirement thread.
    I've been able to have a little fun buying, shooting & selling, then repeat, the last few months since prices have settled down a bit.
    I really wish I'd kept a couple I'd sold (like I'd been told) :wallbash: b/c I had this great Canik competition gun I've picked up from Zackcz that was awesome.
    They are selling for alot more than I sold mine for, plus I've had to replace it as a house gun, costing me more $$. :nono:

Haven't shot the air guns much the last few months since I got on a .22LR kick since prices have settle down a but & I felt empowered to hit my stash.
    Plus, I bought a few larger calibers that needed vetting. :laugh:
    Always a pleasure getting back to the normal guns after shooting air guns.
    I just can't beat the savings of using pellets since I bought 20k for 1 cent each. :rockwoot:
    I'll probably pay on the other end when I sell the air guns, since they won't sell as well as the norm, not on this forum, at least, which is not unexpected.

With my modest teacher retirement "pile," my hobby $$ are slipping away.
    Plus, who wants to take money out of a pile while values are down in today's market.
    I've got a small Roth account that went from $30k down to $22k since January & that was in the 1st 6 months & now we are getting ready for the 9th month of the year: crap! :poop:

Went to the "Bodyzone" (Community North Heart & Vascular gym) 3x this week & rode bicycles with the wife 3x this week, so keeping active.
    Still can't keep up with the wife most of the time, just no endurance.

Feel good about trimming back to only 2 rifles:
    - CZ 455 bolt
    - CZ 512 semi
    I've picked up a few .22LR handguns that I shouldn't have sold.
    I'm learning what Aeroflyer tried to teach me: keep what you enjoy shooting, not just what is the most accurate.
    This post is lacking something… could it be charts and graphs?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My retirement plan is pretty simple.

1. Retire

2. Keep breathing

3. Do whatever I want
    I probably won't be able to do number 3 as I will need to monitor my outflow of money with my inflow and I suspect that a fairly spartan lifestyle will be necessary.

This is why I need to stock up on components, ammunition, etc. now while I have a good income stream. If I can amass enough to allow me to shoot for another 10 years or so beyond retirement, I believe that would get me to the point, I am ready to hang up my six shooters...

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I probably won't be able to do number 3 as I will need to monitor my outflow of money with my inflow and I suspect that a fairly spartan lifestyle will be necessary.

This is why I need to stock up on components, ammunition, etc. now while I have a good income stream. If I can amass enough to allow me to shoot for another 10 years or so beyond retirement, I believe that would get me to the point, I am ready to hang up my six shooters...
    Sounds like a good plan. I kept my plan very simple because after 43 working years of meeting everyone elses expectations, I look forward to making my own goals and schedule. Besides, everytime we humans make plans, God or life has a way of stepping in and making a change.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like a good plan. I kept my plan very simple because after 43 working years of meeting everyone elses expectations, I look forward to making my own goals and schedule. Besides, everytime we humans make plans, God or life has a way of stepping in and making a change.
    True on the plans. My wife have so many plans/scenarios of how things could go that I don't put much stock in any of them.

I'm just saving as much as I can, being smart with my money and hoping it'll all turn out in the end.

Control what I can, let go of the rest.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Develop hobbies before retiring. Too many people retire and were totally absorbed in their work and have nothing to do after all the honey do's are done. Many die soon after retirement.
    My wife and I were just discussing this yesterday. We spent the weekend at some friends who retired in their early 50's. The husband has hobbies and stays very busy. The wife is trying to figure out what she can do. She's a little lost on what to do with her time.

I have lot's of hobbies but I do see myself taking up new stuff like yard work. I have mostly done the minimum when it comes to flower beds and the sort. And it shows. It will be nice when I have some hours during the week to make it nice like the way I keep everything else. :)

I still wonder at times if it would be too late to learn how to place a musical instrument.

My wife doesn't have much in the way of a hobby so she plans on some kind of work for as long as she can. Her work is enjoyable for her and she says she will do it as long as she wants to.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Develop hobbies before retiring. Too many people retire and were totally absorbed in their work and have nothing to do after all the honey do's are done. Many die soon after retirement.
    An old statistic was an average of dying 5 yrs after retirement.
    I think it might be better in the past few decades.

A retired neighbor friend of mine told me it took about 6 months to get through all the "honey-do" list.
    Since I have 3 hobbies, I can't even find the time to clean my garage & shed, haha!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    An old statistic was an average of dying 5 yrs after retirement.
    I think it might be better in the past few decades.

A retired neighbor friend of mine told me it took about 6 months to get through all the "honey-do" list.
    Since I have 3 hobbies, I can't even find the time to clean my garage & shed, haha!
    I don't know about current stats but in my small sample set, people are living way longer than 5 years past retirement.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My wife gets annoyed with me about my hobbies. Her Dad plays golf, goes to the doctor and occupies space. In contrast, I do the following:
    1. Shooting/reloading/gunsmithing
    2. Biking/restoring old bikes/fixing bikes
    3. Camping/kayaking/fly fishing
    4. Going to the beach (her favorite pastime) stunt kite flying
    5. Reading/podcasts/study history/visit museums
    6. Amateur radio/antenna building/ upgrading licence
    7. Work on the house/wood working/restore old tools/sewing
    8. Volunteer labor/maintenance at a local Christian Camp
    9. Help out daughters/family/friends
    10. Attend church/Bible study/prayer (most important in my life in order to keep grounded)

Due to all these activities, I've accumulated a lot of stuff. She see it as junk. I see it as raw materials for being creative. I am down sizing a bunch of stuff in preparation for our upcomming move. The good news is we are moving to a house with a full basement that will be all mine. No more corner of the garage and workbench in the storage shed. It will a proper space to organize and create projects year round.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I once thought center fire guns or nothing. Until I got some quality. 22s.
    A Smith model 41 pistol and a CZ 557 lux. A nice Savage and a few older .22 pistols mark IV Ruger ect. So my retirement plan is 80% .22s and reloading my center fire guns. I probably have 20k 22 rounds and plan on adding to that monthly a mixture of bulk pack and higher end. I probably have 7 working years left so I hope to pack away enough components and primers to last awhile. Moral to the story is .22s can be just as interesting if you take it to the next level. More than just plinking cans. All that if the Arthritis in my hands and shoulder can be kept at bay. In a wonderful world I would find a part time 20 hour a week job at a LGS To get my firearm fix

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Went to a shop where bulk 1000 small pistol primers were $107 a brick. I'm set for a few years but am hoping the price of primers comes back down.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    For those in this thread saying your wife needs a hobby... don't let her choose knitting or crocheting. The cost of yarn (good yarn) is basically the same as ammo. And like ammo, yarn must be constantly replenished to keep the hobby going!

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I still wonder at times if it would be too late to learn how to place a musical instrument

I retired in June 2021 at 60 and definitely fall into the 'busier now than ever camp'.

At 30 I bought my first guitar took a few lessons then dropped it. I had two young kids, a busy job and my wife worked long hours on her own business.

After retirement I bought another guitar, amp and started in again. It's been great fun. In fact my Stratocaster is on my lap as I type this. I keep it next to my desk and use it like a fidget cube throughout the day. I'd practice three hours a day if I had time.

Regardless of your age it's definitely not too late to learn. Like firearms, musical instruments can last a long time and good deals are available on used gear. I've found that face-to-face lessons are okay but the higher quality stuff online is better than all but the best in-person instructors. Most of the online content is free.

Have at it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I retired in June 2021 at 60 and definitely fall into the 'busier now than ever camp'.

At 30 I bought my first guitar took a few lessons then dropped it. I had two young kids, a busy job and my wife worked long hours on her own business.

After retirement I bought another guitar, amp and started in again. It's been great fun. In fact my Stratocaster is on my lap as I type this. I keep it next to my desk and use it like a fidget cube throughout the day. I'd practice three hours a day if I had time.

Regardless of your age it's definitely not too late to learn. Like firearms, musical instruments can last a long time and good deals are available on used gear. I've found that face-to-face lessons are okay but the higher quality stuff online is better than all but the best in-person instructors. Most of the online content is free.

Have at it.
    Good to hear. A friend of mine loaned me his "strat" a few years ago. I played around with it but realized that considering the timeframe I had it(winter, over the Christmas holidays) that if I wasn't putting time in then, I wouldn't put time in when life was busy.

I do plan on slowing down in retirement, not to mention gaining an additional 45-50 hours per week so that is why I was contemplating a musical instrument. After the initial investment, the consumables aren't that expensive like a lot of other hobbies that I have done.

I think it would either be the electric guitar or piano. Like you said, there are deals out there and I would buy an electronic keyboard so I wouldn't have a big piece of furniture as far as a piano goes.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good to hear. A friend of mine loaned me his "strat" a few years ago. I played around with it but realized that considering the timeframe I had it(winter, over the Christmas holidays) that if I wasn't putting time in then, I wouldn't put time in when life was busy.

I do plan on slowing down in retirement, not to mention gaining an additional 45-50 hours per week so that is why I was contemplating a musical instrument. After the initial investment, the consumables aren't that expensive like a lot of other hobbies that I have done.

I think it would either be the electric guitar or piano. Like you said, there are deals out there and I would buy an electronic keyboard so I wouldn't have a big piece of furniture as far as a piano goes.
    The piano would be a better fit. There would be an easier transition when you take up the harp up above! I, a trombonist, on the other hand, will have to learn from scratch!

Top Bottom