• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    Right after I retired I setup an airgun range in the basement. When I started I had 1 (Webley Hurricane) purchased in 1977. Now I've got several and although the get in price ended up being up there a bit, shooting is pretty cheap and very convenient. Good to have when I run out of acp money.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The piano would be a better fit. There would be an easier transition when you take up the harp up above! I, a trombonist, on the other hand, will have to learn from scratch!
    If it isn't a piano or electric guitar, then it would have to be the tit-fer!

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I retired at age 56, never regretted it, i have my hobbies some are expensive, my wife is retired too and she has her hobbies that we both enjoy. I say if you can get out early do it and enjoy, the biggest thing is ave some money and have everything paid off before you do. If we had a mortgage or car payments i might not have gotten to get out early!!!!!!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I retired at age 56, never regretted it, i have my hobbies some are expensive, my wife is retired too and she has her hobbies that we both enjoy. I say if you can get out early do it and enjoy, the biggest thing is ave some money and have everything paid off before you do. If we had a mortgage or car payments i might not have gotten to get out early!!!!!!
    We were at that place for the past couple of years. Then, we decided to move closer to our daughters and upgrade to a house with a basement. I like the above idea of setting up an airgun range in the basement.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    The piano would be a better fit. There would be an easier transition when you take up the harp up above! I, a trombonist, on the other hand, will have to learn from scratch!

The old timers considered the fiddle to be the devil's instrument. Maybe I should give up my guitar for a violin. You know, just to work ahead.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I “found” five boxes of FMJ .40 in the house, 2 Winchester white box 165 gr, I box of Remington 165 gr, and 2 boxes of Wolf .180 hr I will keep for Derr season at the cabin in Michigan come this November.
    Oh what to do what to do?
    I know take a G-22/ w Red Crimson Trace light/laser Gen 3 to Range USA in Carmel.
    3pm today, I find that the Thursday Veteran/LE $10.00 1/2 hr range special is now $15…..geez everything’s gone up!
    Well I needed to see what the red laser could do snd I wasn’t disappointed,
    fifty rounds doesn’t last long.
    B4855BA8-2A54-4A1E-B3B5-F8487929FD47.jpeg
    I had fun, 7-10 line, but I will try and shoot a box a month since I live in Fishers.
    Parrabellum In Avon 12-2 pm is $8 a 1/2 hour with a free target, but it is what it is, more bang for your buck over there, but gas back and forth, would eat the savings.
    Nasty costly habit, but I love it!
    Just cannot afford it like I used to.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    All hobbies/ recreational pursuits are expensive. I wouldn't like to be limited to 1/2 hour of range time. I go weekly to an indoor range and average over an hour on the lane. I have a retired shooting buddy and we lounge around and drink a coke in the lobby for quite a while after that talking about guns/ ammo and general BS.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All hobbies/ recreational pursuits are expensive. I wouldn't like to be limited to 1/2 hour of range time. I go weekly to an indoor range and average over an hour on the lane. I have a retired shooting buddy and we lounge around and drink a coke in the lobby for quite a while after that talking about guns/ ammo and general BS.
    I pay $20/month to shoot as long
    &
    as often as I want Monday through Friday at Range USA.
    I never went on the weekend anyway so it works out fine.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I pay $20/month to shoot as long
    &
    as often as I want Monday through Friday at Range USA.
    I never went on the weekend anyway so it works out fine.
    I pay an annual fee to be a member of my indoor range (American Shooters) and that entitles me to have unlimited access to the premium lanes where there is an abundance of programs available and where I can put in a custom course of fire program to keep it interesting.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This retirement report is about my unexpected acceleration of arthritis progression.
    Worsening the past few months, with the past 2 weeks the pain increasing in frequency and intensity, with it amplifying more every day this week.
    Just started getting sharp jabbing stabs of pain this week.
    I think my lower back is saying, "Oh no you won't!"
    It has actually caught me by surprise even though I knew it was coming, I thought I had more time.
    Classic man denial, haha!

A 2016 MRI showed my lower back "eaten" away (not know medical terms) by arthritis.
    I suggested to my Dr. due to its acceleration this week, they might want to update the scan, haha!

Both hands got cramps Tuesday, 1st time.
    They have been going numb & I couldn't make a fist w/o pain before this.
    Once, a few weeks ago, my trigger finger got cramped for the 1st time.

All normal everyday activities are being affected.
    Makes a person appreciate their mobility.
    I was putting up some Xmas decorations this pm outside with the wife & the pain was like never before with me collapsing to the ground twice.
    Being a man, I simply got a chair to sit on while unraveling stuff, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Year end ammo usage report including all calibers, but mostly .22LR:
    2022 = 11,605 rds/967 mo. avg.
    2021 = 13,615 rds/12 months (1135 mo. avg.)
    2020 = 27,220 rds/9 months (3070 mo. avg)

Number of rounds above that were air gun pellets:
    2022 = 1500 pellets
    2021 = 800 pellets (in 3 months) If I would have had air guns all 12 months, estimate 3200 pellet usage.
    2022 = 000

Air gun usage fell off last half of 2022 b/c I started shooting .22LR again.
    When prices started coming down & I wasn't afraid to use my stockpile.
    I haven't bought any larger caliber ammo since Covid & Democrats since I'm hoarding what I've got & bought only a handful of .22LR.

Looking back, I needn't panicked & bought 6 air guns & 20,000 pellets in order to shoot for a fraction of the price.
    Perhaps half that, haha!
    But, I'm glad I did b/c I enjoy shooting them as much as the other guns.
    Since I bought only spring loaded, a range session can be a workout at this stage of life & I have shorter range sessions, haha! :fogey:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

2022 = 1500 pellets
    2021 = 800 pellets (in 3 months) If I would have had air guns all 12 months, estimate 3200 pellet usage.
    2022 = 000

I haven't bought any larger caliber ammo since Covid & Democrats since I'm hoarding what I've got & bought only a handful of .22LR.

Looking back, I needn't panicked & bought 6 air guns & 20,000 pellets in order to shoot for a fraction of the price.
    Perhaps half that, haha!
    Since I bought only spring loaded, a range session can be a workout at this stage of life & I have shorter range sessions, haha! :fogey:
    That's a lot of rounds downrange! Good on you! I paled at approximately 3500-4000 rounds.

No wonder why you are getting better!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    So if I’m reading between the lines I need to liquify some assets to be ready for the great 22lr purge that may happen!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So if I’m reading between the lines I need to liquify some assets to be ready for the great 22lr purge that may happen!
    You'll be the first to know if I start down that slippery slope.
    I have only a handful I'd sell, but not today, haha!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

2022 = 1500 pellets
    2022 = 000

Perhaps half that, haha!
    at least your mind is still sharp

Top Bottom