• ...and so much more!
  • rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I retired about 8 years ago.
    I sold my house in. Fla and moved back to my roots in Indiana to be closer to my parents and daughters family.
    With the funds from the house sale, I was able to upgrade to a much larger house with 5 acres of property and have a good chunk left over.
    I have built my own range of 75 yards.
    I have a large collection of firearms and I reload with a large supply of powder, primers, cases, and bullets, so I am set for the immediate future.
    Between our social security, my spouse is retired also, and investment income, we have a fairly large positive cash flow with our expenses.
    It can be done, it just takes some planning, some luck, and some help from family inheritance.
    Yes, I am very lucky and I know it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    My retirement plan is pretty simple.

1. Retire

2. Keep breathing

3. Do whatever I want
    Going through the threads and saw this and had to make just one little change.

My retirement plan is pretty simple.
    1. Retire (1/2 done - retired from my career profession but working to keep busy)
    2 Keep breathing (in progress)
    3. THINK about doing whatever I want.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    well, i don't plan to ever retire so i don't think it will be an issue. i love working.
    Welcome to INGO. In case you didn't know, we use purple colored text when we're being sarcastic or joking around. I read your comment as if it was colored purple ... if I misread your comment, then my condolences.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Welcome to INGO. In case you didn't know, we use purple colored text when we're being sarcastic or joking around. I read your comment as if it was colored purple ... if I misread your comment, then my condolences.
    Yeah, saying you're never going to retire because you love working doesn't seem like a "quality" post. Probably better report it and let the mods sort this out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget me!
    Through the short years when someone has said to remember them when I'm going to sell a gun, I've written down their names but when it comes time to sell, life being what it is, everyone has moved on &
    bought something else, haha!
    But, being as how you are one of the top 10 recognizable monikers to me & one of mytop favorite members here, I will do so, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's a lot of rounds downrange! Good on you! I paled at approximately 3500-4000 rounds.

No wonder why you are getting better!
    Back in 2020 when I was putting 27K downrange & before that, even more rounds but I didn't keep track of it like I do now!
    Looking back, I can't believe it myself!
    I knew I had limited time, combined with my 110 mph approach to anything I do, I think it's fair to say I'm winding down with the march of time!
    I've had so much fun, and the last range visit was as fun as any of them, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Excuse me sir, there is no line cutting here! LOL
    Relax, Zackcz, you are my #1 INGO friend, & have 1st priority, but I can't buy guns cheap enough anymore to sell them in your price range, haha! :lmfao:
    I thought I was a real bargain hunter, but you are the master, haha!
    I've bought more guns from you than anyone at this point.
    To your credit, you have recommended or given me a heads up on many guns I have had in the past & presently & I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Relax, Zackcz, you are my #1 INGO friend, & have 1st priority, but I can't buy guns cheap enough anymore to sell them in your price range, haha! :lmfao:
    I thought I was a real bargain hunter, but you are the master, haha!
    I've bought more guns from you than anyone at this point.
    To your credit, you have recommended or given me a heads up on many guns I have had in the past & presently & I appreciate it! :thumbsup:
    You guys are fun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Unbelievable stabbing, piercing, cut-you-in-half pain. :crying:
    Monday evening I couldn't even do my normal stretching of lower back on the floor.
    Like any man in denial, I got up at 4:45 am & went to a Men's prayer breakfast at Tuesday.
    Wasn't the smartest move by my stubborn self, haha! :nono:
    My arthritis is consuming me, but apparently my lower back wasn't getting enough attention, haha! :ugh:

I could hardly move getting up & dressed & could barely get into the Subaru to drive to Main Street/65.
    At that point, I should have gone back to bed.
    Every tiny bump in the SUV & even coughing sent stabbing pain. :(
    Never been there before.
    I hobbled in & out of Denny's. :fogey:
    Really stupid of me, but I didn't know it would be that bad & thought the pain would subside as I moved around more. :wallbash:
    Wrong!

The 5 day pack of steroids I started for inflammation, along with Extra-Strength Tylenol, kicked in the pm.
    I could at least move gingerly by late afternoon. :oldwise:
    Dr. offered me some nerve pain killer for the lower back, but I declined.
    Even though I normally won't take any pain killers, I would have if I was still unable later in the day.

Today, I was able to go to the range for 2.5 hrs!!! :rockwoot:
    I was so happy to get out of the house. :thumbsup:
    Pain was nipping around the edges & I was moving slowly, but I can live with that since arthritis has been my friend for a decade, haha!

Got my MRI appt scheduled for next Monday & on a waiting list if a cancellation this week.
    I'm to start rehab next Wed. but I think they will find out that I can't move enough for rehab.
    :crying:
    I really thought I had years yet before my mobility would be this affected. :dunno:
    Thoughts of having to sell the MC, sports car & losing the gun hobby were going through my mind!

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Monday evening I couldn't even do my normal stretching of lower back on the floor.
    Like any man in denial, I got up at 4:45 am & went to a Men's prayer breakfast at Tuesday.
    My arthritis is consuming me, but apparently my lower back wasn't getting enough attention, haha! :ugh:

I could hardly move getting up & dressed & could barely get into the Subaru to drive to Main Street/65.
    Never been there before.
    Really stupid of me, but I didn't know it would be that bad & thought the pain would subside as I moved around more. :wallbash:
    Wrong!

The 5 day pack of steroids I started for inflammation, along with Extra-Strength Tylenol, kicked in the pm.
    Even though I normally won't take any pain killers, I would have if I was still unable later in the day.

Pain was nipping around the edges & I was moving slowly, but I can live with that since arthritis has been my friend for a decade, haha!

Got my MRI appt scheduled for next Monday & on a waiting list if a cancellation this week.
    I'm to start rehab next Wed. but I think they will find out that I can't move enough for rehab.
    I really thought I had years yet before my mobility would be this affected. :dunno:
    Thoughts of having to sell the MC, sports car & losing the gun hobby were going through my mind!
    On the bright side it’s only a scooter not a MC so it should be easy to let go of.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Never been there before.
    Wrong!

Well, they say attitude is everything and you seem to have a good outlook about it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On the bright side it’s only a scooter not a MC so it should be easy to let go of.
    I can't get my leg up & over a regular MC, had to give that up around year 2000, before I bought the 1st of the 3 scooters I've owned:
    - 199? Honda Helix 250cc (I could put 3 gallons of paint in it's trunk, haha!
    - 2004 Yamaha Majesty 400cc
    - 2012 Yamaha Majesty 400cc

My son at 13 or 14 had a Honda 50cc scooter he used for work at Marsh till 16 & had a auto license.
    I've owned 20 other MCs when younger & even owned 4-5 after I moved to Indy in 1985, bringing one with me.

Honda Helix 250
    1.2023 pic of Helix.png

2012 Yamaha Majesty 400cc
    right side.png

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, they say attitude is everything and you seem to have a good outlook about it!
    Drs. told me 13 yrs. old, I would have to have my left leg amputated when I got older b/c of lymphatic issues that kept me in the hospital dozens of times b/c of infections. :dunno:
    Turned me into an exercise nut, although there is no evidence of it now, haha! :lmfao:
    Irony is, after a cancerous tumor in the kidney & a heart valve replacement & the usual hip replacements, it probably won't be the bad leg that kills me, but something else, haha! :fogey:

It has taught me from my youth up, to treasure the time of health & be grateful for mobility & do everything at 110 mph. :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am kinda broke up!

@ditcherman can tell you I have to lay down to load magazines on a long range day! No way I can bend down like a normal person.

I am 54!

I hope the Med people find a way to help?
    Sounds like you might stand during a range session, instead of having to sit down?
    If I had to lay on the ground to load magazines, it wouldn't be pretty seeing me get down & especially getting back up, haha!
    But, at least you are out there "raging against the night!"

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Life goes on in my 4.2 yrs of retirement. :whistle:
    I find new applications for my penchant for tedious paperwork in my teaching from age 21-65. :coffee:
    Seems like 10 yrs to me. :laugh:

Still enjoying the gun hobby, but I've slowed down.
    I will go to the range 1 -2 times per week instead of 3-4 times.

Finding it is easier to eat right & exercise consistently when retired.
    Sleeping is a luxury. :)
    Still can't keep my weight steady after losing that last 25# I could never lose while working.
    I'm eating mostly whole foods & plant-based at this point to keep the Drs. happy.
    The PCP Dr. can't believe my improvement since retired with weight & glucose control.

I still have 3 mornings when I have to get up early (4:30, 4:45 & 7 am) that keeps me from being totally spoiled.
    Anytime I have a medical or car appt, I get the 7-7:30 am time slot.

Before the Democrats got office & Covid with prices seeming to double, the wife & I were banking money every month even with a reduced income.
    Now, not so much. :dunno:
    Glad the government is telling us inflation is only 12%: LIARS!!! :spend:
    Had 3 big financial hits this year with having to replace wrecked car & arrange future funeral arrangements.

Well, I got to get ready to take the wife on a bicycle ride, which is on the schedule for Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays, haha!

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I hear you, I retired 1 March 23, I used to pre Covid shoot 100 Ed’s every two weeks, now it’s maybe 50-100 a month.
    Adjusting can be different as I couldn’t wait to stop working after 50 years (21 Military/20 Federal), but I will find stuff to do.
    Hang in there, I do 55th and Keystone, 10-2 $10 range lunch special.

Top Bottom