• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Surprised Grasshopper hasn't been mentioned, love the suspension on mine, the deck that floats independently of the machine, and is out front. Great to trim with and easy to move under trees.
    I've had two 62" ones, current one is a diesel which is really nice.
    They just don't need much work, been very reliable.
    Grasshopper does make some good mowers too, and IMO have one of the strongest deck and spindle systems of the mid mount zero turns.

The front deck mowers are nice if you have the room.

They also lack in the number of dealerships also, at least around here.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I do not know where the OP is looking but I always recommend getting equipment from a dealer, not a big box retailer. The dealers I know of have a two tiered service waiting list, the top is customers and the bottom is those that bought elsewhere.
    This was a big part of the equation for me. I ended up buying a Bad Boy a couple of years ago at https://www.haltomequipmentco.com/ Haltom Equipment in Mooresville. He also sells a few other brands. I knew I wanted a reputable dealer to stand behind whatever I bought and that I was going to have service performed somewhere that was local and would pickup/deliver, etc. Haltom just really impressed me during my process, and took the time to answer my questions.

During my research process, Bad Boy also looked like a good product. Amazingly Haltom also had a better price by quite a bit for the mower I selected as compared to another dealer that carried Bad Boy in my area, especially on a cash deal. This was surprising because for the most part it seems at least when I was looking most dealers seem to hold to MSRP pricing quite a bit.

I've had great maintenance service so far out of Haltom, and so far have encountered no issues with my Bad Boy mower.

That said, I was seriously looking at Hustler and would have spent more $$ to get the Hustler I wanted (with serviceable hydro's, etc) than I ended up spending on the one I did buy based on my product alone research, if the dealer in my area had been reputable. However, the dealer in my area for Hustler had a very bad business reputation (from online reviews about some shady dealings and some other word of mouth I heard), and I wasn't going to drop that kind of cash without having a dealer in the area I had some confidence in.

Last edited:

Chevyman540

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    LaPorte
    I cut almost 8 acres weekly. I love my Gravely Pro Turn 260. Had it for about 6 years, runs great and only problem I've had was the battery after 2 years. I perform my own maintenance on it, at the intervals recommended (grease, oil/filter, hyd. oil/ filter changes). At work we use Hustler Super Z's, there good also. They also take a beating too.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Thanks for all of the responses. I had not considered having a dealer close for service and repairs when necessary. That makes a lot of sense and there is a Gravely dealer near my home.

Dirty Steve

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I use two different machines during the mowing season. My personal mower is the Cub Cadet 42” RZT. It still has conventional steering wheel but behaves more like a ZT. I cut my little 1/3 acre plus the neighbors 1/2 acre lot. It takes less than 45 minutes to cut both. The other mower I use is a Hustler 60” commercial machine that is on its 6th season. It mows about 9 acres at least once a week and does a great job. Only issue it has ever had was it broke the deck belt back in June.
    I believe you mentioned you have an acre and a half. I’d say that anything more than 50-52” is overkill. I love my little 42” RZT but it would be at the lower limit for 1.5 acres to get done in a reasonable time frame.
    A lot is going to depend on how much you are looking to spend and how much storage space you are willing to give up to store your new mower plus the aforementioned dealer considerations.
    No regrets on my RZT for it’s job and no regrets on the Hustler for it’s application.

Matt

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I'll share my ZTR experience, although it is a bit dated. We've owned the following, all purchased slightly used:

GRASSHOPPER - had the Kubota 3 cyl diesel which ran perfectly that used about half the fuel as a gasser. But the older model chain drive reduction needed constant attention. Deck out front was nice for under trees. It got poor traction, slipping on slopes. No local dealer support.

DIXIE CHOPPER - was made in Coatesville, Indiana as I recall (apparently sold out to Big Corp in 2020), and very simple design, like something you would build yourself in your garage. Went through a few belt pulleys and spindles. Some local dealer support.

KUBOTA - very well designed, like only a large professional corp with real engineers could do. Operates best of all, with clean cut. Fastest of all. Big Kohler V twin likes the gasoline. This has by far been the best, most trouble free mower we've owned. Strong local dealer support but have not needed / used it.

When it comes time for a new mower, I'll look at Kubota first.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    For the price of a homeowner unit at big box store, you may be able to afford a used commercial unit. Homeowner units tend to have a stamped deck, small wheels, slow blade speed, slow ground speed and the wheel pumps and motors are a single unit. Even if you want to stick with a resi-unit you should consider buying from an independent dealer. It'll make a difference should you need professional service. When you do pull the trigger you might as well buy replacement belts, filter, plug, etc. right then. You'll need theme eventually and finding a part on a 15 year old homeowner unit could be challenging. If I had to pick my biggest concern with commercial vs. resi it would be stamped decks and not separating the wheel motors and pumps. Even low end commercial units fix both those issues.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    For the price of a homeowner unit at big box store, you may be able to afford a used commercial unit. Homeowner units tend to have a stamped deck, small wheels, slow blade speed, slow ground speed and the wheel pumps and motors are a single unit. Even if you want to stick with a resi-unit you should consider buying from an independent dealer. It'll make a difference should you need professional service. When you do pull the trigger you might as well buy replacement belts, filter, plug, etc. right then. You'll need theme eventually and finding a part on a 15 year old homeowner unit could be challenging. If I had to pick my biggest concern with commercial vs. resi it would be stamped decks and not separating the wheel motors and pumps. Even low end commercial units fix both those issues.
    I did forget to mention the one issue I have had with my Cadet RZT. I have “tweaked” the stamped deck on it multiple times. There is a piece welded on the deck on the left side towards the front that sticks out just a bit. I occasionally snag it on stuff like a stop sign post and the steps on my patio. It has gotten tweaked a couple times to where the blades weren’t cutting even. I had to untweak it to fix it. Not a huge deal but a hassle to have to straighten it up. Been temped to cut off that piece that always gets snagged. A welded deck would be my choice!

Matt

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think sometimes to much of a big deal is made out of stamped vs fabricated decks. They both have benefits and weaknesses. John Deere has used a stamped deck for a long time and they have one of the best on the market.

Stamped decks can flow air smoother resulting in a better cut. Fabricated decks are somewhat stronger. Either way if you bang it into things you will end up with bent decks and cracked welds no matter which type it is.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’d second this for sure; I very rarely buy anything new and especially not a 10k mower.
    1st gas grasshopper was bought for $1500 from a Deere dealer with 800ish hours, second diesel probably paid around 2500, would much rather buy good heavy used than new.

I do also own a Kubota, 72” front mount diesel, paid $600 for it at an auction, it’s a heap but still going, stays on range duty. A school owned it and it looks like it was rode hard and put up wet. Still rather own it than a new big box store model, but that’s just me.

Definitely consider used.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Surprised Grasshopper hasn't been mentioned, love the suspension on mine, the deck that floats independently of the machine, and is out front. Great to trim with and easy to move under trees.
    I've had two 62" ones, current one is a diesel which is really nice.
    They just don't need much work, been very reliable.
    I have a 27 hp Grasshopper 2008 Model 727T6 with a 61" front deck that I bought used in about 2014.
    It was a farmer trade-in at the local Grasshopper dealer.

I just change the fluids and filters in the spring myself, and it doesn't have a lot of grease points.

You may not need one this big
    But in the spring there are usually many good used ones of all sizes available from when the farmers trade them in for new ones.

Grasshopper727T6.jpg

Top Bottom