• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    So, they took him into custody, AFTER they confirmed he had no weapons??

Of course it was for Officer Safety! Can't have just any Tom Dick or Harry carrying a loaded video capable cell phone in their presence. Sad truely sad.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    That guy is lucky to be alive.

Lucky it wasn't a garden hose nozzle huh!! They would have stayed hidden called SWAT and had a sniper take him down from the roof of a building across the street! Then figure out what he was holding!

Because we all know there should be no situation that requires any LEO to put his/her person at risk in the performance of his sworn duty to serve and protect!

Last edited:

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    So, they took him into custody, AFTER they confirmed he had no weapons??
    again, this is a case of not knowing the whole story. News outlets like to just give a little bit of info and not complete a story to make people wonder....

Who's to say that he didn't get out upset talking about killing himself? Who's to say he didn't get out and start threatening the police office?

Without knowing all the facts, we can't really judge the situation fully.

"took him into custody" could have been just placing him in handcuffs and putting him into their squad car until they identified there was no threat and that he didn't have any warrants.

I don't see a problem here :dunno:

:twocents:

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Luck it wasn't a garden hose nozzle huh!! They would have stayed hidden called SWAT and had a sniper take him down from the roof of a building across the street! Then figure out what he was holding!

Because we all know there should be no situation that requires any LEO to put his/her person at risk in the performance of his sworn duty to serve and protect!

Let's try to keep the LEO bashing out of the thread. I have no problem with the cops behavior (*based SOLELY on the article as written) We don't know the whole story of how the man behaved when questioned, what he was saying, or any other facts. If we find out later he was beaten, tasered, made to sing Lady Gaga songs while in lock-up, hung up by his thumbs or whatever, then fine; bash away.
    My real problem with this story is that we are rapidly being prodded towards becoming a nation of paranoid snitches. For all we know, he was having a heated conversation with his wife or girlfriend and some nervous Ned Flanders type got their panties in a bunch and called in the law.
    Police responding to a Man With a Gun call? No problem. Nervous Wally World shopper snitching? Big -1 there.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Let's try to keep the LEO bashing out of the thread. I have no problem with the cops behavior (*based SOLELY on the article as written) We don't know the whole story of how the man behaved when questioned, what he was saying, or any other facts. If we find out later he was beaten, tasered, made to sing Lady Gaga songs while in lock-up, hung up by his thumbs or whatever, then fine; bash away.
    My real problem with this story is that we are rapidly being prodded towards becoming a nation of paranoid snitches. For all we know, he was having a heated conversation with his wife or girlfriend and some nervous Ned Flanders type got their panties in a bunch and called in the law.
    Police responding to a Man With a Gun call? No problem. Nervous Wally World shopper snitching? Big -1 there.

He was telling his wife there was no damn way he was buying tampons again.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    "took him into custody" could have been just placing him in handcuffs and putting him into their squad car until they identified there was no threat and that he didn't have any warrants.

putting somebody in cuffs without having committed a big crime is a big problem... that cop had better show a crime the guy did***or the cop should get slapped with a felony...

you dont just put people in handcuffs cause a cop wants to think about things***thats bad... the cop was wayyyyyyyy out of line...

cell phone??????????

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Yet another case of paranoia running rampant. Safety my ADZE! Whatever happened to operating with common sense?

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    God forbid someone get into a heated discussion on a cell phone. There is no way they would have taken me out of my car and into custody willfully over talking on a cell phone.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Should we be placed in this situation, as a shopper inside the Wal-Mart store, would they really be able to keep you "locked down" inside the Wal-Mart? If I wanted to leave would I not be allowed?

When I worked retail when I was younger, we would put the store on "lock-down" during severe severe weather [tornado warning, power loss, etc]. We would strongly suggest people don't leave, but there was nothing we could do to prevent them from doing so. Obviously, in these situations law enforcement was never involved.

I can see why they would not want citizens entering an area where a dangerous person may be, but would they really be able to legally hold you inside the Wal-Mart?

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home

THAT IS NOT BASHING! That is sarcasm and an observation on the SOP being employed in some situations now. Police responding, overreacting and stepping beyond their given power by arresting a person who committed no offense! An exchange of words, 1st amendment right, between a citizen guilty of no crime and an LEO is not a crime simply because the LEO does like the way he was spoken to! The act of detaining a person by means of cuffing them and placing them in a patrol car is for all watching being arrested! The Situation was handled poorly. Officers should have seen it was a phone and simply asked is there a problem here and can I be of assistance. If the guy said no problem I'm OK then roll on! No violation, nothing obvious leave the person alone!

Time to face facts, the constitution and Indiana code place restrictions on the citizens god given rights. This means that for citizens unless either "document" states it is a violation for a civilian to do certain things we are within our legal rights to do said things.

LE is a government agency that both the constitution and Indiana code give limited and specific powers to, any action not granted specifically in law to LE is a restricted action for LE under the law! The scope of LE powers is limited by law as it should be, the power lies with the people by design in order to keep those in authority in check.

Pointing out the times when rights have been abused or situations where LE has failed is not bashing!

If an officer can not deal with the risks and dangers of their chosen profession without trampling people rights in order to "feel" safe or who can't show respect to the honest citizens, needs to find a new job!

Sorry if that gives some a minor case of butt hurt but LEO's are not higher on the food chain than average Joe!

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

:+1:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    again, this is a case of not knowing the whole story. News outlets like to just give a little bit of info and not complete a story to make people wonder....

Who's to say that he didn't get out upset talking about killing himself? Who's to say he didn't get out and start threatening the police office?

Oh I bet he was upset after some jack hole busy body contacted the police while holding their head up their butt. This is ridiculous, how do you mistake a cell phone for a gun? The person reporting was either an idiot or a busy body with no common sense. Or maybe it was a joke on the part of the person that reported it.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend

You don't see any problem with someone being handcuffed or taken into custody because someone thought they saw something? Wow, you need to join the real world where being handcuffed is a big deal and being "detained" for talking on a cell phone isn't a regular part of our day!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    putting somebody in cuffs without having committed a big crime is a big problem... that cop had better show a crime the guy did***or the cop should get slapped with a felony...

you dont just put people in handcuffs cause a cop wants to think about things***thats bad... the cop was wayyyyyyyy out of line...

cell phone??????????

Hands behind your back! I SAID HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK! RIGHT NOW!

Top Bottom