Repair / Evaluation of 1911 in Fort Wayne?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My boss / friend has a nice officer size 1911 called an Amigo. It is a beautiful gun but it is a jam-o-matic. Three different people shot it with various types of ammo and it jammed a lot through it all. The first time I felt the gun I thought it's recoil spring was too weak. He sent it back to the manufacturer, supposedly, through Gouger Mountain. It came back saying, "the gun is fine. Shooter is limp wristing". Three different people shot it with limp wristing as a possibility in mind and it continued to happen.

Can you just get varying levels of spring strength and keep replacing them until it works or should this be performed by a gunsmith? Let me know if you have any ideas!
    images

Hoosier Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I had a commander model of that same brand with problems. I also had the same experience trying to get it fixed through Gander Mountain (they're useless). BTW, they don't ship it back to the manufacturer, they are a warranty repair center for these guns and just ship them to their gunsmiths.

There are other dealers/gunsmiths throughout the country where you can send it for warranty repair listed in the manual. The problem is you have to pay for shipping. The only reason I used Gander Mountain was to avoid the shipping cost.

I just ended up getting rid of mine at a loss rather than spending more money trying to get it fixed. I won't be buying any more cheap 1911's.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    What magazines are you using?

I have the government and commander and have had zero problems with wilson mags.

Can you also explain what kind of malfunction is happening with pictures? Stove pipe? FTF, FTE, Failure to return to battery.

A lot of problems with extraction may be solved with a longer extractor. if it's failing to extract, perhaps the spring is too stiff?

If its failing to feed, get rid of the crappy mags they give you with it. Trust me. The top round nose dives like CRAZY.

I've read of issues with the specs on the mag catch, but I believe this is the first amigo ive read about with issues. Really can't help without pics or a better description of the failure.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What magazines are you using?

I have the government and commander and have had zero problems with wilson mags.

Can you also explain what kind of malfunction is happening with pictures? Stove pipe? FTF, FTE, Failure to return to battery.

A lot of problems with extraction may be solved with a longer extractor. if it's failing to extract, perhaps the spring is too stiff?

If its failing to feed, get rid of the crappy mags they give you with it. Trust me. The top round nose dives like CRAZY.

I've read of issues with the specs on the mag catch, but I believe this is the first amigo ive read about with issues. Really can't help without pics or a better description of the failure.

This is really an excellent answer. Get a Wilson mag and shoot the gun. If it malf's with a Wilson mag then get it to Jerry Johnson for tweaking.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Failure to feed on the 1st round is typically a mag issue. If it's consistently a certain number from a full mag the feed ramp might be out of spec.

If it's just not going into battery either the rounds are too week or the spring is too stiff. Cycle the crap outta that slide and see if she loosens up, if not, buy a lighter spring.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hi, sorry to hear about your friends problems. Unless I missed it nobody is going to really be able to help you unless you specifically discuss what type of malfunctions you are having as there are different causes. Are you having failures to feed or failures to eject or both etc.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Hi, sorry to hear about your friends problems. Unless I missed it nobody is going to really be able to help you unless you specifically discuss what type of malfunctions you are having as there are different causes. Are you having failures to feed or failures to eject or both etc.
    As I stated above, it is not going into battery / FTF. The number of rounds in to the mag are not predictable. The more the gun is shot the less it does it.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Lots of good advice already.

How many rounds have been run through it? Some 1911s are a little fickle for the first few hundred. Springs and magazines are the most likely causes of FTF failures like you described. I've also played around with loads to determine what the best load is for each 1911 but in general they should shoot almost anything you feed it. Hope the solution comes quickly.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    How many rounds have been run through it? Some 1911s are a little fickle for the first few hundred. Springs and magazines are the most likely causes of FTF failures like you described. I've also played around with loads to determine what the best load is for each 1911 but in general they should shoot almost anything you feed it. Hope the solution comes quickly.
    Good point, Rick. We only fired about 70 rounds through it. We're going shooting at Hillside Sunday. We'll try it some more. You up to go with us?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If it malfunctions again, snap a pic and note what round it happens each time. Also need to know if the cartidge is in the chamber but the slide isn't hitting with enough force to push the round in. Also need to know if the cartridge "lip" is going under the extractor before going into batter (extractor slamming into case stopping full battery)

Each round slams into the feedramp at a different angle from the magazine, which is why we need to know if its consistently in the middle of a mag. If its at number on or seven, odds are its a mag issue.

If I didn't have a birthday party I would come over, but, prior obligations :-(

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Neil Keller at kustom ballistics is the best in the area... He did a lot of work on my last 1911 and built my current limited gun...

Top Bottom