• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Having a hard time believing that a Malibu can reach that speed...

ETA- My bad. Car and Driver recorded a drag limited top speed of 155 mph in a 2.0L turbo Malibu. The standard 2.5L was governor limited at 128 mph.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I had the pleasure of maxing out every rental car that I "borrowed" in the 80s.
    I was very surprised at how fast some would go and how nice they handled the restricted holey dirt roads.............at first anyway.

They were really noisy when we left them. :rolleyes:

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    If I were the rental company, I'd be very leery of someone who takes out the insurance policy during the rental! Seems like a dead give away that that car may not come back as it is leaving!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If I were the rental company, I'd be very leery of someone who takes out the insurance policy during the rental! Seems like a dead give away that that car may not come back as it is leaving!

I always do because:

1. You never know.
    2. I'm not paying for it.
    3. There are oher sharks in the water.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    [video=youtube;4T2GmGSNvaM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM[/video]

drive it like a rental!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

The employees at the rental company are salesmen. They want to upsell you on just about everything. Having worked previously in the rental car industry, I can tell you they are giddy with excitement every time someone buys the additional insurance. It helps boost their sales numbers.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The employees at the rental company are salesmen. They want to upsell you on just about everything. Having worked previously in the rental car industry, I can tell you they are giddy with excitement every time someone buys the additional insurance. It helps boost their sales numbers.

Is the additional insurance worth it? I'm just curious what your take is, having been in the industry.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Rented a car in Orlando last year while there on business...so I bought all the insurance coverages since the company was paying for it and I didn't want to get stuck owing anything...was doing some work in a hospital and at the end of the day I went to the parking lot and the mirrors were busted off on both sides, and the whole passenger side had been sideswiped...I just drove it back to Enterprise, dropped it off and flew back home. They never said a word. Brand new Ford Taurus or a Fusion...can't remember which.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you ask your insurance company, they'll tell you if your insurance covers rentals or not. I found it out recently when we had an accident. My insurance guy was tap dancing around the rental insurance and I asked him if I needed or if my insurance covered it. He said he couldn't come out and tell me I was wasting my money unless I asked first.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Is the additional insurance worth it? I'm just curious what your take is, having been in the industry.

Most of the time, your insurance or your credit card will cover the rental. However, you will still have to pay your own insurance deductible. I know that Enterprise treats all damage under "collision". So, if a grocery cart dings the door, you have to pay up to your collision deductible. My deductible is $500, so if I am renting for a couple days, the $16 per day or whatever is definitely worth it.

Top Bottom