• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Obviously, the torch was simply silly drama, but loading can be done pretty simply.

Before I could find dies, I used to neck size 7.62 X 54r by tapping the case into a greased hole in a piece of angle iron that I filed out to the right size with a jewelers file.

I think everyone should load a box of cartridges with a LEE loader kit and a mallet once in their life.

It was a good illustration of using powder that fills the case. Like Varget in a .223. Most loads actually compress the powder. I don't think it is possible to overload. Same with the 20 grain charge of AA#9 in a .44MAG.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Obviously, the torch was simply silly drama, but loading can be done pretty simply.

Before I could find dies, I used to neck size 7.62 X 54r by tapping the case into a greased hole in a piece of angle iron that I filed out to the right size with a jewelers file.

I think everyone should load a box of cartridges with a LEE loader kit and a mallet once in their life.

It was a good illustration of using powder that fills the case. Like Varget in a .223. Most loads actually compress the powder. I don't think it is possible to overload. Same with the 20 grain charge of AA#9 in a .44MAG.
    That last paragraph is always the advice I give novice reloaders. You know there is going to be trouble when they comment on another powder being cheaper because you use less.

And yes, the whack-a-mole Lee loader is a learning experience. About made me give up the sport when I set off the primer and launched the little rod past my face.

Reactions: Leo

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    That last paragraph is always the advice I give novice reloaders. You know there is going to be trouble when they comment on another powder being cheaper because you use less.

Thats good advice, as long as the novice also understands that some powders fill the case and won't allow over-charges, while other powders filling the case results in a double, triple, or possibly even a quadruple charge, and creates essentially a mini hand grenade.

Nothing wrong with using small charges of fast powders in large cases, as opposed to large case-filling slower powder charges, as long as the reloader understands the pros & cons of each approach, sticks to established load data in the book, and practices the necessary precautions.

Reactions: Leo

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I remember reading an article many years ago describing how to reload shotgun shells with a hammer, nail, and a dowel rod and a block of wood. Dippers for measuring the powder and shot. Can't remember which magazine, but it was a popular mainstream one.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    It was a long time ago and I'm not sure exactly what it started as. But basically it was a new reloader that was relying on loads found on forums and word of mouth vs the loading manual users. It got fairly heated. I'm not sure I want to dredge up old animosities.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I appreciate the humor in this but I find it stupid.

Reloading for 40+ years and have done my share of things on the edge, it is slap stick humor at best. Reloading takes a modicum of attention to detail and research of loads to be safe. So just throw it all out the window and laugh at destroying a firearm and possible injury? Not good.

Just my $.02.

Don

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I remember reading an article many years ago describing how to reload shotgun shells with a hammer, nail, and a dowel rod and a block of wood. Dippers for measuring the powder and shot. Can't remember which magazine, but it was a popular mainstream one.
    I have a kit from Rocky Mountain Cartridge for loading brass shotgun shells. Insert the dowel into the shell, place the primer on a clean, FLAT surface (they provide a steel 2" square), place the shell over the primer, and hammer away! (I always pucker up during that part!) I've probably popped 5-6 in several hundred reloads. A good reminder to ALWAYS wear your PPE!

Good shootin'

Top Bottom