• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Please forgive me sir...I was one of those Missouri Militia men.....In the film "Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration"......

Fake sideburns (courtesy of a lovely LDS/BYU mother and daughter make up team...), long rifle, flat crowned hat and blue/red trim militia hunting shirt.....When they were hauling Joseph away (and one other guy, I can't remember the characters name) I was one of the militia men screaming in his face...I helped the Director with some authenticity issues he had with some of the (non reenactor) extras and their powder horns and he made sure I got in some of the main shots...A great guy...You know how most Directors yell "ACTION" when they are getting ready to shoot a scene???? He would just clear his throat and say, "Okay" and would start shooting the scene...Plus he fed us well...I still have my check stub from that gig...Great folks to work with and I am honored to have played a small part in that film....

I can say this about Mormons....They fed me great sammies....:)

Here is the Trailer...

No hard feelings, my friend... :D I've been to your shop. I'll have to stop in sometime - and introduce myself.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Simple question.... The point of prepping seems to be survival...prolonging life.

Religion seems to view life on earth as a trial. Successfully navigate the arduous journey of life and adhere to righteousness and be rewarded with a seat in the kingdom of heaven.

If the ultimate goal is to get to this wonderful place in heaven...then why work so hard (prep) to prolong the misery on earth? Wouldnt your efforts be better spent being a servant to God?

As an outside observer (i honestly mean no disrespect with my questioning)...I would think that a man secure with his religion would welcome catstrophy and the judgment that would soon follow. Prepping seems to be in direct conflict to that.

Fair question, and well thought out...

Here's my thinking on that:

1) While life may contain a series of challenges and hardships - it doesn't have to Suck. There are happy times, and sad, etc. So there is much more purpose to life than to simply endure the trials, poof, then it's Miller Time - off to heaven. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the journey. And everything right with it.
    2) Life has value - so we work hard to preserve it.
    3) I don't view heaven as a place where we're going to be sitting on our arse plucking harps. We will continue to learn and grow. Our challenges may be different than here So I'm not in a hurry to get to heaven - and I'm not in a hurry to get to hell, either!
    4) I don't view prepping as preparing for survival only. I personally prepare for downturns in my personal economy. The cases I mentioned upthread, where my personal stuff has hit the fan. I prepare for the downturns, not just so I survive - but so my family will thrive even when things get weird around us.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Simple question.... The point of prepping seems to be survival...prolonging life.

Religion seems to view life on earth as a trial. Successfully navigate the arduous journey of life and adhere to righteousness and be rewarded with a seat in the kingdom of heaven.

If the ultimate goal is to get to this wonderful place in heaven...then why work so hard (prep) to prolong the misery on earth? Wouldnt your efforts be better spent being a servant to God?

As an outside observer (i honestly mean no disrespect with my questioning)...I would think that a man secure with his religion would welcome catstrophy and the judgment that would soon follow. Prepping seems to be in direct conflict to that.

I would answer that in refernce to the goal you cite, the goal is not to get there alone for we are to make sure we help as many others reach the same goal. I could nuance it out somewhat, but that's it in a nutshell.

However the goal really should be especially for Christianity, communion with God, simply put. Not getting to some place. We are to see God in our fellow man and so the road to communion with God includes our fellow man. The goal is communal not individual. Different religions would see this at varying levels. Islam, for example, would object to this as a goal.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hope this is allowed here, couldn't make it through the seemingly endless pages of "my God can beat up your God" to verify.

Anyhow, within the bible there seems to be many times where prepping is encouraged and many where it is discouraged. What are your thoughts INGO? Prefer if you can back it up with quotes.

Non Christian opinions welcomed as well, just back it up with quotes please (we all aren't educated on all religions)

Can we please keep the there is/isn't a (insert deity here) in the break room threads

You may like to listen to Jason Hunt's you tube channel. He's an instructor for the Pathfinder School. I met him while taking their basic class. He mixes biblical teaching with survival skills that we've all long sense lost touch with in a way that reinforces the need for both. He has some excellent videos/sermons out there and I can't say enough good things about him.

I was trying to find my favorite video he made, but didn't. Check these out and I think you'll find a guy who's worth listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOlWSgHOcpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbZgNzwVUOw

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I too am a Mormon. I was not raised such. I would love to say I have a years supply of food stored but I do not. Not even close. But part of that is the fact that we used it. Let me give you the short version. My shop tanked with the economy in 08. I hung on waaaay to long and closed in in 12. I still do side work but the days of 60k a year are over for me. Wife always made more than me. She lost her job in October of last year. We survived on side work and some heavy faith. I took a full time gig in February and my wife just got back to work 3 weeks ago.
    We made it because we were prepared. Because we are obedient, when side work wasn't enough prayers were said and The Lord provided the needed amount.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    And a scripture: Alma 43:47 from the Book of Mormon. Is just one of many that gives me the right to defend my family. The other part of prepping.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I had read an article on differing views concerning end-of-life philosophies in choosing medical treatment. I was surprised to read this:

In a study published today in the Journal of the American Medical Assn., researchers found that terminally ill cancer patients were nearly three times more likely to go on breathing machines or receive other invasive treatments if religion was an important part of their decision-making process..

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Just to provide a voice of dissent (I think it's silly to be completely unprepared as well)

Matthew 6: 25-34
    25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I've always taken those to mean to not become obsessed about the future. It's fine to prepare for it but in the end things are going to happen and it's God who will see you through.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've always taken those to mean to not become obsessed about the future. It's fine to prepare for it but in the end things are going to happen and it's God who will see you through.

I would argue that it comes down to the question of whether you have the things or the things have you. Similarly the scripture condemns the love of money but not the possession of money. Again, do you have it or does it have you? Do you serve it or serve God?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm a Christian and I love Mormon books on prepping. They had to do it for real. If I was going to the desert, I'd probably look into what the Muslims had to say about prepping for that. A lot of religious texts on prepping are common sense - can't help others if you are in a state of needing help.

And yes - popping my head up from Florida to say hello. :-) I've become so prepper-lazy down here. This is just such a resource-dense state....

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just to provide a voice of dissent (I think it's silly to be completely unprepared as well)

Matthew 6: 25-34
    25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

IMHO, vs. 25-32 are not saying "Do not prep," they say "Do not worry." When you read vs. 33 you see the intention of that portion of Matthew 6. "Seek first His kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things [food, clothing, etc.] will be given to you as well."

There are parables about men saving and storing grain and those are always followed by a statement that all of that is worthless without faith. Having strong faith AND preparing is not going against any of God's commandments.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I haven't done much prepping at all. In fact my family is making a real first try at gardening (albeit in containers) this year. I saw a couple posts allude to something I have considered if things go south. That is in the area of tithing. I don't think that command stops at money and certainly wouldn't stop if money was worthless. So to the individual asking why a Christian might prep, how about prepping to be a blessing to others and the hands and feet of Christ on earth!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I haven't done much prepping at all. In fact my family is making a real first try at gardening (albeit in containers) this year. I saw a couple posts allude to something I have considered if things go south. That is in the area of tithing. I don't think that command stops at money and certainly wouldn't stop if money was worthless. So to the individual asking why a Christian might prep, how about prepping to be a blessing to others and the hands and feet of Christ on earth!

Just make sure you have a working plan before you venture into your final destination mentioned here. Philosophically, I agree, but one of the dangers is that in a prolonged time of economic dysfunction, you could easily develop your own personal welfare class. I took a blistering the last time this came up, but I stand by my position that I would be willing to help others within certain limitations. I would not make my family suffer on account of it and I would expect participation in the production process. While I was lambasted for being an up and coming slaver, the reality is that no good will come of having people lounging as you work to feed them. It isn't fair to you, and it does absolutely nothing to help them reach the point of being independent which should be the goal. It is very true that if you give a man a fish you have fed him for a day, and if you teach him to fish, you have fed him for life. Under the circumstances in which prepping becomes an issue, unless it is a short-term situation like fallout from a storm, make sure that you don't set yourself up to have a 'daily fish' line. In addition to the above, everyone from whom you require the effort to learn can be sent out with some basic supplies (like seeds) and in turn do the same for others. In fact, my standard repayment for charitable assistance is to pay it forward when the time comes, which I explain when I get 'how can I ever repay you?"

I would also point out that the tithe is on your 'increase' regardless of whether it is in cash or kind.

The bottom line with your thoughts regarding prepping is that you need to sort out the answers to your questions now and not after the SHTF.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I guess I am not an extreme prepper. However I do have enough food for me and my wife to survive for several months. I would have to smoke, can or otherwise preserve much of the food as it is frozen, but we do have the ability to do this. I also collect firearms along with my youngest son (other son's also have collections). We (son and I) have medical supplies saved. Son has water filtration equipment and best friend has home well. One of my thoughts is that our extensive collection of firearms and ammo with be the new "gold" of the future in the event of a major economic, natural disaster or other SHTF scenario. I am a Christian, although I do not currently attend church, I firmly believe in the Creator.

For those that do not believe in firearms, I feel that any other preparations for disasters will be pretty much in vain, as many fathers that cannot feed his family will not hesitate to take anything necessary from unarmed people to help his family survive. If (and I certainly hope no disaster occurs), I feel I can trade a firearm and ammo for any supplies I really need. Son & I have around 100 firearms, 30K of ammo, and equipment and components to reload at least that many cartridges.

In my opinion firearms are probably the best investment I have ever made. I cannot think of ANY firearm that has not increased in monetary value more than any other item including stocks, bonds, real estate etc. I have been retired for over 9 years and due to conservative living, I am in great financial condition. My best friend is a Marine veteran of Viet Nam, who became disabled due to a vehicle accident involving a Drunk driver hitting him head on. His wife left him and my wife and I decided that we would help him in lieu of any charity. Although it has cost us several thousand he is now in pretty good financial and physical shape and we don't regret one cent of aid.

As to my thinking regarding religion and prepping, I am reminded of an old joke/story?:
    A very religious man living in a flood prone area was warned that the nearby river was rising. He started praying that his home would not be flooded.

Well, as the water reached his home and flooded the ground floor, a rescue boat arrived and asked him to board. He said NO, the Lord will take care of me.

He then went to the second floor, prayed and as the water rose, a second boat arrived and the crew pleaded with him to board the boat. Again he refused, stating the Lord will take care of me.

As the water continue to rise, he climbed onto the roof and continued to pray. A Helicopter arrived and they told him the water will soon rise over your roof, please climb aboard as this is your last chance!

Again he refused saying I believe the Lord will keep me safe. Soon the water engulfed his home, he swam for hours, but finally succumbed to the water and drowned.

As he rose to heaven and met his Lord he cried "Lord, how could you forsake me"? The good Lord said "What are you talking about, I sent you two boats and a Helicopter"!

This kind of represents my philosophy, I have been gifted with a healthy body, and mind (though that has been questioned by a few) that allowed me to work most of my life and provided the means to provide for my family. I have paid for everything I own, never received any "government" aid or help in my 74 years, and have saved to provide for my wife and my retirement. For this I am very thankful. I am prepared for the future as well as I could, and though I love the Lord, I believe it is my responsibility to take care of me and mine as long as I am able.

Again, if I have to use a firearm to protect my family I will do so. I will help those I can to help themselves, and if necessary stop those who would rob me or mine.

Top Bottom