• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    As a Mormon - there's both a spiritual basis for it and a very pragmatic basis for prepping.

Study the history of the Mormons and you will see that they were literally forced out of the USA. In Missouri - the Governor at the time famously issued an Extermination Order - ordering all Mormons driven from the state under force of arms and exterminated if needed. They built the city of Nauvoo, Illinois (At the time, the largest city in IL), and then were driven from there. Then they crossed the plains to UT (outside of the US at the time). If that won't get your prevailing culture into a prepared state of mind - then nothing will!

The more spiritual basis is based on the premise that "if you are prepared , you shall not fear" . Fear and faith are anathema to each other. They cannot coexist. So the Mormon way to deal with that is to be prudent , provident, and prepared. And not to fear , but to choose faith.

The prepping that you will often see in Mormon homes (or not see) is that folks will have a supply of food, water and other supplies. Also they are taught to save up other resources such as money and to prepare for future downturns - whether on a personal or community or national level. If you lost your job, or found out you had cancer, or had a house fire, or whatever - then your personal "stuff" just hit the fan... It doesn't require tinfoil hats and guys in ninja suits jumping out of helicopters.

Like every other principle - not every Mormon is a great example of it . Any more that Baptists (or Mormons for that matter!) are perfect examples of temperance. It IS the goal. And it is taught and encouraged. One of the folks that I respect most for his approach to prepping around here is Shibumiseeker. While not a Mormon to my knowledge - he has done a job of prepping that would do any Mormon proud. And his approach to it is spot on, in my humble opinion.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I take this view, God asks me to be prepared but not to see MY preparations like they so good I won't need Him.
    This means it is ok to prep for emergencies and things I can see coming like a possible economic collapse but not to hink I have it all covered. I know better AND I also know my LORD God will provide what is needed when life throws me a curve.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So your God punishes the individual for the ills of society?

When a just society crumbles, the innocent and just suffer along with the wicked and guilty. Israel, as a nation dedicated to YWH has been punished more than a couple times, and its scattered children have suffered greatly throughout its history. Of course, the fact that we have free will to obey God or not - and we most often don't choose to obey - also figures in to our real or potential misfortunes.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    At least I've got the corner on something...now if I could just market it.

And no, I'm not kidding I do have a copy of the Flateyjarbok.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Study the history of the Mormons and you will see that they were literally forced out of the USA. In Missouri - the Governor at the time famously issued an Extermination Order - ordering all Mormons driven from the state under force of arms and exterminated if needed.

Please forgive me sir...I was one of those Missouri Militia men.....In the film "Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration"......

Fake sideburns (courtesy of a lovely LDS/BYU mother and daughter make up team...), long rifle, flat crowned hat and blue/red trim militia hunting shirt.....When they were hauling Joseph away (and one other guy, I can't remember the characters name) I was one of the militia men screaming in his face...I helped the Director with some authenticity issues he had with some of the (non reenactor) extras and their powder horns and he made sure I got in some of the main shots...A great guy...You know how most Directors yell "ACTION" when they are getting ready to shoot a scene???? He would just clear his throat and say, "Okay" and would start shooting the scene...Plus he fed us well...I still have my check stub from that gig...Great folks to work with and I am honored to have played a small part in that film....

I can say this about Mormons....They fed me great sammies....:)

Here is the Trailer...

[video=youtube;ByRTewfeEPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByRTewfeEPQ[/video]

Last edited:

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    proverbs are not always true but usually true...so not the best examples...Jesus said take no thought for the morrow..I.e. don't worry...but the Bible says a good man lays up an inheritance for his children ...there's a way to do things and u just have to be in balance..a lot of preppers I know have bad credit, smoke like a chimney, and have an obsession with knives (I'm talking hundreds)and paracord...you know the type...they are just weird.., the operative word here is balance...i also have other friends who claim to be preppers but they have savings, good credit, a job, and some preparations ..it's laughable to think u can become self sufficient...the bible says "no man lives unto himself" .. I take that to mean nobody can make it on their own...it's not about just u...for the scenarios that people envision a years worth of food or a three day supply won't help...also, they don't prepare for the most common thing that could happen to them..job loss, health problems, getting a will together...they think a pack of mres and some mountain house is gonna get them through political unrest ..emps ..earthquakes...well, if u believe the Bible then u believe u better get on the winning side or some mountain house ain't gonna help a bit...in a addition, those passages quoted above are when Jesus was talking to his disciples and I believe the others are a message to those that believe during the Great Tribulation

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Simple question.... The point of prepping seems to be survival...prolonging life.

Religion seems to view life on earth as a trial. Successfully navigate the arduous journey of life and adhere to righteousness and be rewarded with a seat in the kingdom of heaven.

If the ultimate goal is to get to this wonderful place in heaven...then why work so hard (prep) to prolong the misery on earth? Wouldnt your efforts be better spent being a servant to God?

As an outside observer (i honestly mean no disrespect with my questioning)...I would think that a man secure with his religion would welcome catstrophy and the judgment that would soon follow. Prepping seems to be in direct conflict to that.

Top Bottom