• ...and so much more!
  • PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    Good afternoon folks,

What is the average lifespan of a gun? What is the firearm equivalent to a high milage vehicle? Would it be round count? How many rounds? Is it different for different guns? What are some measures one would take to prolong the life of a gun?

Thank you :ar15:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    depends on the gun, caliber, etc. generally round-count is what wears guns.

Plinker .22LR from a good manufacturer? couple hundred thousand rounds or more before any major issues.

center fire semi auto pistol from a good manufacturer? you might see accuracy degrade anywhere from 50-100k, with smaller parts breakage before that, and bigger parts there or after.

center fire rifle you'll see bore/throat wear after a few thousand rounds. higher velocity wears out barrels faster. How much it matters kinda depends on your expectations. lots of issues past that are firearm specific.

keeping springs replaced, keeping things well oiled, and not pushing velocity/pressure limits can all help extend firearm life.

-rvb

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I agree with the above post. So basically, if you buy a new gun from a reputable manufacturer, and use it just plinking and range trips, it should last a few lifetimes. I have a Ruger MKII .22 lr that I bought new in 1998 or 1999. I'm guessing it has 20k rounds through it. I will pass it on to my son and hopefully he will do the same. He's only 7 btw. Even at 2,000 rounds a year from here on out, it should last that long.

If you are really into shooting competitions, which means you're practicing a lot, I think that is your best bet to wear one out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really tough question, like any mechanical device with maintenance they just keep going. I regularly shoot guns over 100 years old, don't lose any sleep over it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This is why everyone should buy at least one firearm a month. Just in case they expire, you always have a back up to replace it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    There are still weapons out there from the 1800's functioning and being shot. Then again if you are pushing very high velocity and expect great accuracy the barrel may be shot out sooner than normal but that is replaceable. So with care it could be a long time.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I think the biggest factor to consider is the care taken during it's lifetime. If it's cared for, it will last a long time, but if neglected, it will "age" rather quickly. Also consider what sort of ammunition was used. Older military arms often used corrosive ammo/primers, or even black powder. If not cared for diligently, these factors can "age" a firearm rather quickly.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My grandfathers win model 12 was his only shotgun most of his adult life. My father used it along with my two uncles. I have used it and my daughter has fired it off. Unknown amount of 16 gauge rounds thru it. 1919 model. Nearly 100 years old. Has had the firing pin replaced once in 1954. Quite possibly the perfect pump shotgun (my model 870 also). Would get more use if it was not 16 gauge. It is also the best hand to shotgun fit of any gun to carry or handle. Should do well for me my daughter and her kids kids.

Estimate 6 generations at the least.

Don't think any other quality firearm would be different if expectations on accuracy are given leaway with barrel burner rounds. Some of the newer cheaper rifles, pistols, shotguns ect I wonder what they will be like with 100 years of use. Will the plastic eeerrr polymer stocks get brittle and crack (like fine walnut also do) will cerakote finish last like well worn blue steel finishes or last longer and still look better. I have a feeling that some of my browning gold medallion rifles will look better in 100 years than the Winchester model 12 does now. Maybe I should by a high point 9mm and place it in the safe for 100 years. Would it be looked at as a rarity item or still laughed at like a high point is today.

accuracy is the eyes of the owner for the most part anyway. I know guys who will claim their 10-22 will do half inch groups at 100 yards in a gusty wind will Remington golden bullets stock from the factory and there Taurus snubnose pistol will do 2 inch at 50 yards on e handed from a draw.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    depends on the gun, caliber, etc. generally round-count is what wears guns.

Plinker .22LR from a good manufacturer? couple hundred thousand rounds or more before any major issues.

center fire semi auto pistol from a good manufacturer? you might see accuracy degrade anywhere from 50-100k, with smaller parts breakage before that, and bigger parts there or after.

center fire rifle you'll see bore/throat wear after a few thousand rounds. higher velocity wears out barrels faster. How much it matters kinda depends on your expectations. lots of issues past that are firearm specific.

keeping springs replaced, keeping things well oiled, and not pushing velocity/pressure limits can all help extend firearm life.

-rvb

Plus 1 :yesway: Keeping them cleaned, oiled and maintained is important to long life.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The answer, as always, is that "it depends". Depends on the ammo. Depends on the shooting (keep the barrel hot=more wear). Depends on the cleaning (most barrels are ruined by cleaning, not shooting). Depends on the environment (near salt water=problems).

See if this helps:

Can You Shoot Out a Rifle Barrel? | Range365

Thanks Kirk, A good read and a quick one at that.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I was looking at the Zenith Arms (Girsan out of Turkey) MC-14, a .380 pistol. They stated the life of the barrel at 30,000 rounds. I've been shooting 50 rounds a week at the range, so the gun would last me 12 years. I would think a properly stored gun would last indefinitely, but would wear out from use.

Top Bottom