• wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Looks like I'm going to need a new fridge soon... :(

Anyone have a recommendation on one they've bought recently? Our current fridge is a standard fridge on bottom, freezer on top situation and we'll probably stick with that. It's a 17 year old Kenmore that has been great, but my beer fridge is crapping out and it looks like I'll need to swap our current fridge to beer fridge duty and pick up a new main fridge.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have a Samsung with the French doors and the ice maker in the top (freezer is on the bottom). The ice maker has been a wreck ever since we bought it. I just bought a repair kit that I'm going to install this weekend in an attempt to fix it but right now...I would not recommend that style. Don't get me wrong, the refrigerator works great. It's just that stupid ice maker.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I guess I should have specified, not looking for anything with an ice maker, water through the door, or anything like that. Just a straight fridge freezer combo.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have been looking as well. Right now we are leaning towards whirlpool.

Samsung are good for tvs and phones but nothing else imo. lg has been better to us more recently but the whirlpools are more what we are looking for.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I bought a Frigidaire around 4 years ago and it's been doing great. It is a side by side though.

I bought it new from a scratch and dent store in New Albany for around half price. My cabinets hid almost all the dents so it was a great deal for me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Anyone have a recommendation on one they've bought recently? Our current fridge is a standard fridge on bottom, freezer on top situation and we'll probably stick with that. It's a 17 year old Kenmore that has been great, but my beer fridge is crapping out and it looks like I'll need to swap our current fridge to beer fridge duty and pick up a new main fridge.
    When our garage (beer) fridge went out, I just got a refurbished one to replace it from this place:

Southport Discount Appliance

I think I only paid maybe $125, with like a 30 or 60 day warranty, plus they delivered it and hauled away my old one.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    We bought an amana a few years ago, it’s pretty basic, and it occasionally makes some odd noises that make it sound like it’s angry, but other than that it’s been pretty good at keeping cold stuff cold :lmfao:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When our garage (beer) fridge went out, I just got a refurbished one to replace it from this place:

Southport Discount Appliance

I think I only paid maybe $125, with like a 30 or 60 day warranty, plus they delivered it and hauled away my old one.

Thanks, but I'm planning to use my current, 17 year old fridge to replace the beer fridge due to its age. If my current fridge was newer, I would go the route of just replacing the beer fridge with a used one. My current beer fridge was a housewarming present from my best bud. He was happy I'd moved back from MN and had this beat up old unit in storage that he'd taken out of one of his rentals. Has been awesome for me for over 10 years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks, but I'm planning to use my current, 17 year old fridge to replace the beer fridge due to its age. If my current fridge was newer, I would go the route of just replacing the beer fridge with a used one. My current beer fridge was a housewarming present from my best bud. He was happy I'd moved back from MN and had this beat up old unit in storage that he'd taken out of one of his rentals. Has been awesome for me for over 10 years.
    Ah okay, gotcha. I'm a tightwad so I always try and think of cheaper options. :): Our main fridge is getting up there in age too, but it still works and it at least has an ice maker so we kept it in the kitchen.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    We have been looking as well. Right now we are leaning towards whirlpool.

Samsung are good for tvs and phones but nothing else imo. lg has been better to us more recently but the whirlpools are more what we are looking for.
    let it fill up with ice, then turn the ice maker off until you need to make more ice. seriously doubt the repair kit will fix it, if it's like mine and freezes up all the time.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just remember we live in a different world today, Reviews touting how great a 20 year old fridge are as relevant as a review of a 59 Cadillac for a new car. So much in regulation and manufacturing, not to leave out supply issues have changed everything…

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've been reading reviews the last hour and I'm seriously disappointed. Like everything, it looks like the newer ones are built to fail :(
    A few years ago, back when we were buying that Samsung I mentioned above, I asked the salesman which manufacturers had the better reputation, complaints, etc. He said he’s found it doesn’t really matter to a lot of buyers anymore as they replace them before they ever fail. They’re like furniture than a long time investment like they were when I was a kid.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Bailey's Discount in North Judson sells scratch and dent appliances for .50 on the dollar. They are all tested before being put on the floor for sale.

Thank you sir, though I now have to look up where the heck North Judson is... :):

A few years ago, back when we were buying that Samsung I mentioned above, I asked the salesman which manufacturers had the better reputation, complaints, etc. He said he’s found it doesn’t really matter to a lot of buyers anymore as they replace them before they ever fail. They’re like furniture than a long time investment like they were when I was a kid.

I can't believe people want to waste money like that. When I buy an appliance I want 15 - 20 years out of it. Heck, I have a couch and love seat that are over 20 years old and this last fridge is 17. I'm hoping to get 5 years out of it as a beer fridge. These things aren't cheap and having to shell out that kinda money more often than necessary is just stupid. It's not like I'm buying a gun you know... :lmfao:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thank you sir, though I now have to look up where the heck North Judson is... :):

I can't believe people want to waste money like that. When I buy an appliance I want 15 - 20 years out of it. Heck, I have a couch and love seat that are over 20 years old and this last fridge is 17. I'm hoping to get 5 years out of it as a beer fridge. These things aren't cheap and having to shell out that kinda money more often than necessary is just stupid. It's not like I'm buying a gun you know... :lmfao:
    Oh yeah. I’m the same way. But the wife though…when momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

My vote would be for a Maytag freezer on the bottom Model. We purchased ours over 18 years ago. Ours went out right before we were going to bring our son home after 60 days in the NICU.

We have had it ever since just clean the coils once in a while.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Our 17 yo KitchenAid side-by-side is still going strong. Now in the basement as an overflow for freezing, supplemental ice when having people over, beer and chilled wine. Whirlpool, Kitchenaid and Maytag are all the same company now. Our 9 year old bottom freezer, french door LG has not mossed a lick either but the ice maker is a bit anemic.

Definitely the fewer features the less there is to to go wrong. Let us know what you end up with.

Top Bottom