• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I noticed they have just installed them. The first set I saw were at 10th and Sportsman. The second set which have not been installed yet are at 10th and Renfroe. I bet there are more going up. Just a warning for everyone that travels through there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indiana AG Finds Red Light Cameras Illegal

ndiana AG Finds Red Light Cameras Illegal
    Indiana Attorney General Ruling finds red light camera ordinances violate state law.

Indiana's Attorney General on Friday issued an official opinion declaring red light cameras to be in conflict with state law. State Senator Earline Rogers (D-Lake County) requested the ruling after the city of Hammond in June enacted an ordinance on its own authority in the hopes of establishing a lucrative photo ticketing program.

"A red light camera ordinance would be an invalid attempt to locally regulate conduct that is already regulated by a state agency," Attorney General Stephen Carter wrote. "Unless expressly granted authority by statute, a local governmental entity's passage of such an ordinance would be in contravention of the state's home rule law."

Carter noted that the state legislature had in its 2005 session specifically considered and rejected Senate Bill 570, a measure which would have granted authority to cities to use automated ticketing machines. Under Indiana law, municipalities may not impose regulations that conflict with state law.

"The state has preempted the field of regulating moving traffic violations, including the violation of running a red light," Carter wrote. "State traffic regulations apply throughout Indiana... The General Assembly has defined the offense of disregarding a traffic control signal and has set the penalty as a Class C infraction. Therefore, a local ordinance imposing a penalty for running a red light would result in an attempt to regulate conduct that is already regulated by a state agency in contravention of the state's home rule law."

The opinion is in line with the findings of Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox who outlawed cameras last year (view opinion). Similarly, the Minnesota Supreme court also struck down a red light camera program as illegal (view ruling). On the other hand, Ohio's high court in January decided to save photo ticketing (view ruling).

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Indianapolis has cameras at intersections, not red light cameras though. Plainfield has sensors for emergency vehicles, which look like cameras, but are not.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    13th and Poplar is the only intersection in Terre Haute that I've ever noticed where there are cameras, but I always assumed they were just for traffic analysis. I'm sure if I looked hard, I could find them at more traffic dense intersections as well.

INDOT has traffic cameras on the interstate all around the Indy Metro area. I'll see if I can find the web page for them and link it here later.

Edit: Heh. Okay. That was easier than I thought it would be.

http://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm

I think cams 078 and 080 could have vistas on that warehouse fire.

Further Edit: Here's the official INAG opinion BBI referenced.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2008/in-agopinion.pdf

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    13th and Poplar is the only intersection in Terre Haute that I've ever noticed where there are cameras, but I always assumed they were just for traffic analysis. I'm sure if I looked hard, I could find them at more traffic dense intersections as well.

INDOT has traffic cameras on the interstate all around the Indy Metro area. I'll see if I can find the web page for them and link it here later.

Edit: Heh. Okay. That was easier than I thought it would be.

INDOT: TrafficWise

I think cams 078 and 080 could have vistas on that warehouse fire.

Further Edit: Here's the official INAG opinion BBI referenced.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2008/in-agopinion.pdf

Cathy, those are not cameras at 13th and Popular, they are sensors for vehicles. Motorcycles and some light cars do not weigh enough to trigger the light change so they put those sensors there.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Many people mistake the emergency vehicle preemption cameras as "red light" cameras. I am quite sure there are NO red light cameras in Indiana and likely not be in the foreseeable future.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It looks to be a moot point now but IIRC, the ones I'd encountered before in TN were accompanied by warning signs. Seems like the warning signs were placed along the side of the road before the intersection that would put the driver on notice. It may have just been a TN thing.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Cathy, those are not cameras at 13th and Popular, they are sensors for vehicles. Motorcycles and some light cars do not weigh enough to trigger the light change so they put those sensors there.

I thought the lights were triggered by electromagnetism created by the vehicles, and motorcycles didn't create enough of it to change the light.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I thought the lights were triggered by electromagnetism created by the vehicles, and motorcycles didn't create enough of it to change the light.
    They are. I know of no traffic light system that uses video to determine traffic density. Those "circles" in the asphalt are for the installation of wire loops that act as electromagnets and inductors. When a large metallic object, say, an automobile, parks on top of it, it changes the inductance, which is registered by the system as a stopped car. The threshold of inductance is usually set too high for motorcycles, and no doubt Smartcars, to trigger them, so there are devices that motorcyclists can install that when triggered sends a magnetic pulse down into the asphalt to trigger the lights.

Again, I have no knowledge of traffic cameras that control traffic lights, only for analysis of traffic patterns back at some kind of DOT facility, and red light ticketting.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Cathy, there's two intersections in Columbus that is controlled by cameras...it was an experiment to see if it was worth the expense

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Many people mistake the emergency vehicle preemption cameras as "red light" cameras. I am quite sure there are NO red light cameras in Indiana and likely not be in the foreseeable future.

Emergency vehicle preemption cameras?

I need one of the emitters or transponders or traffic premption devices or what ever so I can get to where I'm going more quickly.

If anyone has one please let me know.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

I need one of the emitters or transponders or traffic premption devices or what ever so I can get to where I'm going more quickly.

Sounds like an illegal request

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    They are. I know of no traffic light system that uses video to determine traffic density. Those "circles" in the asphalt are for the installation of wire loops that act as electromagnets and inductors. When a large metallic object, say, an automobile, parks on top of it, it changes the inductance, which is registered by the system as a stopped car. The threshold of inductance is usually set too high for motorcycles, and no doubt Smartcars, to trigger them, so there are devices that motorcyclists can install that when triggered sends a magnetic pulse down into the asphalt to trigger the lights.

Again, I have no knowledge of traffic cameras that control traffic lights, only for analysis of traffic patterns back at some kind of DOT facility, and red light ticketting.

The ones at 13th and Popular are not cameras either, they look like cameras, but they are motion sensors or something.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

They transmit an individual code, and if it isn't an authorized one it doesn't do anything, sort of like a garage door open. The system also keeps track of which unit overrode the traffic signal. If you still want one, contact 3M as they are the main manufacturer. Last I checked its about a grand per unit.

Top Bottom