• ...and so much more!
  • lcpl_dunno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2023
    Kokomo
    What's up everybody,

I ran into a guy that has a red dot on his EDC gun. The gun was a sig of some sort chambered in .45.
    I personally don't like red dots on my carry gun and prefer the iron sights. There is just less to worry about and less weight on your belt. I feel like it could also possibly malfunction when you need it most.

What are your guy's thought on running a red dot on your EDC gun?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Discussed at length before here:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I actually just don't have that many handguns. A few Glocks and a Ruger 22/45 is it, so saying I have dots on everything isn't as big of a deal as someone that has a ton of handguns.
    I hear ya. When I first started carrying a RDS equipped handgun in 2010, I had 2 semi autos, a Glock 19 with irons, and a Glock 19 with a RMR

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I put a Holosun 507K on my G43X. It is my first red dot on an EDC gun and I like it so far. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I am seeing if this helps. If it does I might put a RDS on my G19.
    I have a Trijicon RMR on my G40 that is OK, but I don't EDC that big pistol as it is a hunting pistol.

jhopson

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Trafalgar
    I have been making the transition to red dots for about two years. I started with my range gun and then my edc. Been carrying my 365xl with a red dot everyday day since the beginning of the year.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    It's just another tool. If you train with it, it will be beneficial. If you don't, you probably won't even pick it up in a real defensive use.

I've got a nice red dot set up but I usually don't carry it and I've trained with it. It is cool and fun but I've trended to more simple things.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    wSaFcm4.jpg

Most pistol RDS weigh around 1oz so the weight argument is irrelevant IMHO. Red dots overcome the inherent sight radius disadvantage of smaller pistols allowing them to be shot significantly easier and better at distance. The future is now gentlemen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Warning - Once you've dialed yourself into shooting your pistols with a dot, they all need to have one. And all going forward...

The other thing is that the value of the self defense contraption on your hip has just raised substantially, if not close to doubled. As always one is none...

:)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Warning - Once you've dialed yourself into shooting your pistols with a dot, they all need to have one. And all going forward...

The other thing is that the value of the self defense contraption on your hip has just raised substantially, if not close to doubled. As always one is none...

:)
    Actually...I'm a better irons shooter now that I've used a dot extensively. I have all those dots because I want them! Yea, that's it! I don't have a problem!

Also, tell me you're buying too inexpensive of handguns without telling me you're buying too inexpensive of handguns. (notice i was nice and didn't say "cheap"!)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Actually...I'm a better irons shooter now that I've used a dot extensively. I have all those dots because I want them! Yea, that's it! I don't have a problem!

Also, tell me you're buying too inexpensive of handguns without telling me you're buying too inexpensive of handguns. (notice i was nice and didn't say "cheap"!)

I'm hoping to shoot a lot more in the future to wring that theory out, on the irons. Doubt I'll put a dot on the deep cover G43, so it will be the test.

As far as cheap, I catch some hell for it, but err on the side of Glocks. Still, a dot on top starts to push the the $500 gun a lot closer to a grand. And you have to have backup, just in case.

:n00b:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If you don’t mind, what holster is that?

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, it's not advertised as optics compatible but it is obviously. That being said I do not think the newer model guns with the dedicated rear sight will work TBH, it's a tight fit now but again obviously 100% safe. This was my original P365 holster from before the XL was even out, I just got lucky. Milt Sparks does make optics compatible holsters , you just have to specify and be willing to wait.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'm hoping to shoot a lot more in the future to wring that theory out, on the irons. Doubt I'll put a dot on the deep cover G43, so it will be the test.

As far as cheap, I catch some hell for it, but err on the side of Glocks. Still, a dot on top starts to push the the $500 gun a lot closer to a grand. And you have to have backup, just in case.

:n00b:

I have never understood the back up gun idea, minus it getting confiscated or the gun going caboom 99.9% of the population will never "outshoot" a handgun (I make exceptions for competitive shooters). If I have to use any of my firearms in a defensive shooting I have enough cash on hand to replace it within a week. Diversify your inventory and enjoy more cool guns basically, and yes almost all my guns have dots on them now too.

Top Bottom