Recommendations on Using the INGO Lower?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I signed up to purchase an :ingo: lower in the group buy organized by VUPDBlue. :rockwoot: I want to build a basic, mil-spec unit so I can learn the platform. :ar15:I am doing my due diligence online, searching out the build videos on YouTube, reading the instructions on GunsAmerica, etc. Even read through another :ingo:er's build thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/398511-my-first-ar.html

I know there are a few on here that know a bit about the AR platform, so I thought I would ask for your input. It seems appropriate since I am building it on an :ingo: lower, too.

I don't need 5.56/.223, so what caliber do I build?

.22LR
    I like this idea. This ammo is returning to the shelves in good supply, and the prices, though increased, are still affordable. I could shoot it all day at the range and show off the cool :ingo: lower. I could also shoot it at indoor ranges during the winter. Nice idea. But I could acquire this ammo capability by purchasing a BCG and upper to put on existing units. Don't necessarily need to use the new lower for it.

9mm
    I like this idea because 9mm is my preferred EDC. Ammo compatibility is beneficial. Ammo is economical and readily available. Enjoyable day at the range without a shoulder bruise, too. But I read that running 9mm requires a lot of tweaking, and that is not a good idea for first-time build by a :n00b:. Folks have recommended I stay in the mainstream for a first build. Probably good advice, but the 9mm does have its appeal.

.30-06, .30 Carbine, .308, etc.
    The gun will be primarily a range toy. I don't hunt and my eyesight limits me to 200yds. Can't shoot what I can see well enough to identify. The larger calibers just bring added expense and make finding shooting opps and places more difficult for a Fort dweller.

So, it seems that .22LR is the best option. Did I forget something? Have I overlooked something?

Suggestions? Comments? Advice?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    typo

OP....my $0.02

.22LR = Seems like a waste to me to build a dedicated .22LR AR when you can build it in .223/5.56 and then get a simple .22LR conversion kit for it.

9mm = I love 9mm AR's but I would not build my first AR in 9mm. It will be more expensive to build a 9mm AR and, while they are fun, a more all around useful weapon would be a .223/5.56 AR

.30/.308/.30-06 = Like Vette said, you cannot build a .308 AR off your INGO lower. You could build a 7.62x39 (.30 cal) AR, but they can be finicky and will certainly be more expensive to build.

Conclusion = I know you say you do not need a .223/5.56 rifle, but what you do not realize is that you do! There is a reason it is the most popular rifle made....they fill a lot of needs. Plus, if this is your first AR build, then do not complicate it by building one in 9mm/.22LR/7.62x39 The parts will be cheapest and easiest to get if you keep it in standard AR caliber .223/5.56 with a 16" barrel. Plus, you will not have to deal with mag blocks, special BCGs, over/under gassing, special 7.62 mags, etc.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I concur: build it in 5.56, then shoot that or .223 and get a kit for .22LR.

And then my noob question on this part:

.30/.308/.30-06 = Like Vette said, you cannot build a .308 AR off your INGO lower. You could build a 7.62x39 (.30 cal) AR…

What about .300 BLK? I end up with one more lower than I had planned to build, so I'm doing one in 5.56, and am wondering if I can do the other in Blackout.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I concur: build it in 5.56, then shoot that or .223 and get a kit for .22LR.

And then my noob question on this part:

What about .300 BLK? I end up with one more lower than I had planned to build, so I'm doing one in 5.56, and am wondering if I can do the other in Blackout.

The 300 BLk is a 556 case, so yes you can do a blackout.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If you don't need another 223/556 then I'd look deeply into a 9mm AR. 300blk will be cheaper to build but ammo will eat that savings up quickly.

9mm AR's have came a long way. Don't let anyone discourage you from them.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I did the 5.56/223 with the CMMG 22lr conversion in a pistol.
    Later I will do the 9mm and I also want to SBR it. It only takes $$.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks to all. Decided to go with the 5.56, and will pick up the .223 conversion later. Working on finding the right parts for it. Thanks for the input. Rookies need all the help they can get.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone have any thoughts about purchasing a complete Palmetto build kit?

PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Light Profile A2 Premium Rifle Kit - 505364

Any problems with purchasing one of these to go with the INGO lower? The goal is to learn the AR platform from the ground up and produce a useable, basic AR. I am assuming basic mil-spec, but with the compatibility to upgrade later as I figure out what I am doing and learn what I do not know.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anyone have any thoughts about purchasing a complete Palmetto build kit?

PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Light Profile A2 Premium Rifle Kit - 505364

Any problems with purchasing one of these to go with the INGO lower? The goal is to learn the AR platform from the ground up and produce a useable, basic AR. I am assuming basic mil-spec, but with the compatibility to upgrade later as I figure out what I am doing and learn what I do not know.

PSA kits are a great choice I think. They'll be good to go with the INGO lower too. I've heard some folks say to avoid PSA's "PTAC" kits (their cheapest), but all the others are good.

Edit: Sign up for an account with them so you'll get their emails. They have good deals on various kits all the time.

Top Bottom