• ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Hey gang!

So I have a number of pistols, a rifle and a shotgun in the safe and would like to add an AR to the collection. I've been reading for a while but thought I'd ask, what is a good platform to start with for someone looking for a reliable, affordable AR. My first thought is to buy a built AR like a M&P15 from S&W but not sure if that's the best way to go or the most affordable.

Second, I had originally planned on an AR in 223/556 but am curious if another caliber is a better choice. We generally carry 9mms and I didn't realize you could get an AR chambered in that round. Likely some drawbacks to that though seeing as the 9mm would not have near the punch as a 223 or 308. What are the pros and cons of the different calibers?

If someone were to draft an "AR buyers guide, what you need to know" that'd be a great help to me and likely others just getting started.

Mike

RedTJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Lafayette area
    Guns are like cars. You get what you want.

I have a Bushmaster XM15-E2S chambered in 223/556. I enjoy it but then again, I've only used it for targets. Lots of guys take them to hunt coyotes around here.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    If you are doing your first AR, start with a 556. Parts are easy to come by and they are relatively cheap.

Once you start going to the other calibers parts are more expensive and I feel there are not as many options.

:twocents:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    If you are doing your first AR, start with a 556. Parts are easy to come by and they are relatively cheap.

Once you start going to the other calibers parts are more expensive and I feel there are not as many options.

:+1:

I'll add that you should consider building your AR. No better way to become familiar with a weapon system than to build it. On top of that, you pick out every part you want. I'd keep an eye on Palmetto State Armory's Black Friday sales. I'm sure there are going to be some steals out there....

Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    start here
    lpk from brownells (on sale this week) 44.99

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...Links-_-Landing+Page-_-BRE2_All_Product_Deals

next
    stock from cdnn (on sale this week) 34.99
    CDNN SPORTS - AR15 COLLAPSIBLE STOCK 6 POSITION COMMERCIAL TS

next
    go to rural king and buy a mag tactical ar lower about 50.00 bucks

assemble your self for 134.99!

lastly wait till next Friday(black Friday some online stores will start selling on thursday) and go online and buy an assembled upper! I'm guessing you'll find them for about 250.00 complete with bcg!(that's be a flat top with no sights, and a chrome molly barrel) so pretty basic, so your in the ar game for less than 400 bucks!

as for the black Friday sales, id check jse surplus, palmetto state, brownells

good luck!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

:+1:

I'll add that you should consider building your AR. No better way to become familiar with a weapon system than to build it. On top of that, you pick out every part you want. I'd keep an eye on Palmetto State Armory's Black Friday sales. I'm sure there are going to be some steals out there....

Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory

These guys are right. First Ar shold be in .223/5.56
    The "Basic" options from S&W or Ruger are great guns and will last a lifetime (plus backed by great warranties)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hey gang!

So I have a number of pistols, a rifle and a shotgun in the safe and would like to add an AR to the collection. I've been reading for a while but thought I'd ask, what is a good platform to start with for someone looking for a reliable, affordable AR. My first thought is to buy a built AR like a M&P15 from S&W but not sure if that's the best way to go or the most affordable.

Second, I had originally planned on an AR in 223/556 but am curious if another caliber is a better choice. We generally carry 9mms and I didn't realize you could get an AR chambered in that round. Likely some drawbacks to that though seeing as the 9mm would not have near the punch as a 223 or 308. What are the pros and cons of the different calibers?

If someone were to draft an "AR buyers guide, what you need to know" that'd be a great help to me and likely others just getting started.

Mike

Talk to Mark at Bradis ..... Shooter521 here on INGO ..... He is a straight shooter, and will not steer you wrong .....

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Yep. Keep an eye out for Palmetto's CHF barreled upper assemblies. They are made by FN and are fantastic.

Will do, thank you!

start here

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...Links-_-Landing+Page-_-BRE2_All_Product_Deals

next

next

lastly wait till next Friday(black Friday some online stores will start selling on thursday) and go online and buy an assembled upper! I'm guessing you'll find them for about 250.00 complete with bcg!(that's be a flat top with no sights, and a chrome molly barrel) so pretty basic, so your in the ar game for less than 400 bucks!

good luck!

Certainly a good way to start, very affordable. Then I can upgrade as needed, when needed. Definitely looking for some BF deals too!

Talk to Mark at Bradis ..... Shooter521 here on INGO ..... He is a straight shooter, and will not steer you wrong .....

A buddy of mine suggested the same. Will stop by there soon and talk with them when I'm on that side of town next week.

:ingo:

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    These guys are right. First Ar shold be in .223/5.56
    The "Basic" options from S&W or Ruger are great guns and will last a lifetime (plus backed by great warranties)

Definitely going the 556 route for the option of chambering either round safely.

Going with an S&W or Ruger is interesting as well, not because it's already fully assembled but because of the warranty and ability to sell easily as a single unit if that day ever did come.

Mike

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Definitely going the 556 route for the option of chambering either round safely.

Going with an S&W or Ruger is interesting as well, not because it's already fully assembled but because of the warranty and ability to sell easily as a single unit if that day ever did come.

Mike

YEs, that's very practical. I also think that EVERY AR owner should assemble at least one rifle from parts to understand it better, but that doesn't need to be the first rifle.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    YEs, that's very practical. I also think that EVERY AR owner should assemble at least one rifle from parts to understand it better, but that doesn't need to be the first rifle.

Yea, this is pretty intimidating. I've assembled my fare share of PCs over the years and this reminds me of how fickle some motherboards are with CPUs and memory. Everything has to match, speed, latency, wattage ... I'm overwhelmed today but in a good way. :) Getting some great links in PMs and emails from friends too. Progressing...

Mike

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

This. I agree that building one gives you knowledge about the AR platform, but it doesnt have to be the first one. I would buy my first one and if you enjoy shooting the ar platform then you can build your next.... if you dont like it you can sell the one you bought for close to the same price you bought it at

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I built my 1st & 3rd AR's & bought a factory built for my 2nd. All work & shoot fine & are 5.56. Only malfunctions I've had have been when using a 22lr upper. Cost wise, you could probably buy a factory built AR for close to what it would cost to build one, but the build is not hard & does give you more of an idea of how things work.
    Either way you would be ok. I would go w/ 5.56 & maybe a 22 lr conversion, but that's just me.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    start here

next

next

good luck!

I was almost right! I got an email from jse 16 in m4 Wilson arms 1x7 or 1x9 16 in, 275.00 or 290.00 with a quad rail

sale starts at noon on Thursday, and go's till midnight Monday, or they run out

Top Bottom