Ready For The Next Steps Towards Dystopia?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

CARSON CITY, NEV. (AP) — Planned legislation to establish new business areas in Nevada would allow technology companies to effectively form separate local governments.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak announced a plan to launch so-called Innovation Zones in Nevada to jumpstart the state’s economy by attracting technology firms, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Wednesday.

The zones would permit companies with large areas of land to form governments carrying the same authority as counties, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and courts and provide government services.

The measure to further economic development with the “alternative form of local government” has not yet been introduced in the Legislature.

So, Nevada is about to rediscover serfdom.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

CARSON CITY, NEV. (AP) — Planned legislation to establish new business areas in Nevada would allow technology companies to effectively form separate local governments.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak announced a plan to launch so-called Innovation Zones in Nevada to jumpstart the state’s economy by attracting technology firms, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Wednesday.

The zones would permit companies with large areas of land to form governments carrying the same authority as counties, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and courts and provide government services.

The measure to further economic development with the “alternative form of local government” has not yet been introduced in the Legislature.

Interesting. So if they are allowed to form these governments, would they then be subject to the constitutional restrictions (think 1A especially) that existing governments are? Seems like if they're able to impose taxes (among other things) then they should be.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Interesting. So if they are allowed to form these governments, would they then be subject to the constitutional restrictions (think 1A especially) that existing governments are? Seems like if they're able to impose taxes (among other things) then they should be.

I would really like to hear the details of this plan. Because if these companies, as well as imposing taxes, can create their own courts, that makes it very difficult for people to enjoy their rights.

"I'm sorry, the Company Doctor disagrees with your doctor that you were too ill to report to work today. Company HR has terminated your contract, and you have to move out of your Company Home. Because you broke your employment contract you will have to pay back dated rent for the time you lived in the Company Home and for what the Company spent on your benefits, uniforms, and training. If you'd like to dispute this, we can arrange a hearing before the Company Court."

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I think I'd have to go with Happy Chemicals and Intimacy Simulation Unit. Although Outoor Experience and Intimacy Simulation Unit would work too. :):
    XXL Pod and IS Unit for me...after all...if I keep kicking ass...I may get another intimacy unit... :yesway:

Coal towns all over again

I'm only one generation out of one of those, myself.

If you import enough immigrants...maybe this doesn't sound so bad anymore?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

And the company store and the company town

Those who do not remember history something something

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Though I'll wait before I arrive at my ultimate conclusion as to whether this is a good thing or not, I can't help but see the similarities between this idea and how the Wild West was tamed. It seems to rhyme.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Giving corporations the legal means to tax is a very bad idea.

Corporations have zero responsibility to the subjects of the tax in either of the following ideas of what a corporation is.

This in short is also a battle between two ideas.
    1.That corporations are created to generate profits for shareholders.
    2.That corporations are created to operate in the interest of all stakeholders.

Under idea 1. the more widely accepted purpose of taxes by corporations, in the end, is always for the profit of shareholders.

Under idea 2. Following this idea and allowing corporations to tax would be too further the interest of "stakeholders" politics and ideals. Be they about government, finance, the environment, sexuality/gender, or any other ideal a "stakeholder" put forth. In the end, though in this form it is the board of directors who decide who is a stakeholder and what responsibilities the corporation has or even believes in. Shareholders of course would still profit and control the board.

In either form unless you have enough shares to put a member on the board you have no say in the taxes you will be forced to pay. It is the ultimate taxation without representation. It should not be allowed.

It will also lead to open political control by corporations. If a politician stands against the corporation or the stakeholder "ideal" he becomes an outcast with funding cut off and very little ability to reach voters.
    If a politician supports the corporation and the stakeholder ideals he himself becomes a stakeholder if not a shareholder(in the sense he is getting paid one way or the other from the corporation). Most likely any politician that ran in a state with such laws in effect would already be a stakeholder in corporations he was to "govern" over or an outcast outside of "normal"corporate society.

It would be the end of society as we believe it is currently. The end of the journey started in Athens in the 5th century.

I am sure they will put icing on this. Be it giving those taxed an ability to vote for members of the board(but never a controlling amount of board members), shares, a dividend some kind of financial perk like housing, water, electricity..something to get enough votes to make it seem they had the majority or that "everyone" is a stakeholder.

In case you could you missed it. I think idea 2 is false. It is designed to give people the idea they somehow have a say in what a corporation is for by those who actually control them(majority shareholders). I think the entire term "stakeholder" is false,a simple lie to obscure the truth.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Just to join the chorus, this is a horrible idea.

Now, it could be just an evolution of the idea of "public-private partnership" but there are important nuances that are different.

And yeah, my forebears came up in coal mining company towns, so I may be genetically predisposed to hating this idea.

Top Bottom