• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Are there any general rules/techniques to holstering my pistol after firing, i.e. doing a steel challenge or action shooting?

Everything I find online is related to the draw which I have no issues with.

For example, my Beretta OWB leather holster's retention strap snap likes to "get in the way" moving my safety during one handed re-holstering. Is it acceptable/permissible to use two hands? I find myself needing to hold the retention snap (body side of holster - lefty) with my right hand to make insertion reliable without moving it to safe mode.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    i might suggest the best rule is to keep in practice the other four rules.
    Exactly the reason I ask.

Although the DA pull is fairly stout, I am always cognizant of what may be in the trigger guard and can tell immediately if something isn’t right.

So your answer infers to me, anything I can do to ensure a safe and reliable holstering is acceptable and recommended.

Although I am not a newbie to handling firearms, I am less experienced at the competent handling of them.

This is why I joined INGO, for its collective wisdom (not to mention the many great folks here).

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    When I reholster my 1911, I use my trigger finger, which is along the frame and slide, to move the strap out of the way.

I'm unsure what the strap looks like on your holster. Can you post a pic?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My question is regarding my safety flipping to off. It’s that last quarter inch as I am sliding it into the holster my safety likes to catch on the snap strap.

The only way I have found to avoid it is to use my other hand to move it aside.

Here is a visual. If I don’t move that snap out of the way, it is very stiff and occasionally flips my safety off while my thumb is busy on the hammer. It could be simply due to design of this particular holster.
    IMG_4321.jpeg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I often use two hands to reholster, just to press stuff out of the way, make a clean path.
    Granted this is not for competition so they may have rules, but I can’t imagine “one handed reholster only” would be one.
    There is never a penalty for holstering slowly and carefully.
    I will also just say I would ditch the thumb strap, competition or not.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I will also just say I would ditch the thumb strap, competition or not.
    Well, I frequently OC and that strap makes me feel a little better (even if it is easily defeated, it would slow 'em down a bit should anyone grab at it.). I'm here to be educated though and may need to heed your advice as I realize there is no substitute for SA.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well, I frequently OC and that strap makes me feel a little better (even if it is easily defeated, it would slow 'em down a bit should anyone grab at it.). I'm here to be educated though and may need to heed your advice as I realize there is no substitute for SA.
    Yep, if you’re open carrying kudos, and I get the thumb strap then.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Depending if you are a lefty or a eighty, your thumb or index finger could help with the strap.
    Two handed:
    The big thing is to not flag self while reholstering. That will get you in trouble at a contest. Maybe get the muzzle started in the holster from behind the strap and then use your off hand to move the strap.....

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Depending if you are a lefty or a eighty, your thumb or index finger could help with the strap.
    Two handed:
    The big thing is to not flag self while reholstering. That will get you in trouble at a contest. Maybe get the muzzle started in the holster from behind the strap and then use your off hand to move the strap.....
    I am a lefty. This is what I’m doing now, I was looking for best practice, and confirmation it was OK to use my offhand to do so.

I use the muzzle push the strap itself aside, and my offhand to move the snap aside for the final push into the holster.

bradbessett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2023
    LITTLE ELM
    I am a lefty. This is what I’m doing now, I was looking for best practice, and confirmation it was OK to use my offhand to do so.

I use the muzzle push the strap itself aside, and my offhand to move the snap aside for the final push into the holster.
    Lefty here also and I use my off hand to hold the holster in place and use my index finger to clear any obstructions like the strap.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Are there any general rules/techniques to holstering my pistol after firing, i.e. doing a steel challenge or action shooting?

Everything I find online is related to the draw which I have no issues with.

For example, my Beretta OWB leather holster's retention strap snap likes to "get in the way" moving my safety during one handed re-holstering. Is it acceptable/permissible to use two hands? I find myself needing to hold the retention snap (body side of holster - lefty) with my right hand to make insertion reliable without moving it to safe mode.
    The rules for your specific match may differ but in general yes use two hands. I run several defensive classes where we clear the shirt (without flagging your own hand) then look at your holster before guiding the pistol in.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    This is why I love Ingo, so much good knowledge.

I can think of no place better to learn from before making mistakes (when you don’t have the funds to get real training at the moment).

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    My question is regarding my safety flipping to off. It’s that last quarter inch as I am sliding it into the holster my safety likes to catch on the snap strap.

The only way I have found to avoid it is to use my other hand to move it aside.

Here is a visual. If I don’t move that snap out of the way, it is very stiff and occasionally flips my safety off while my thumb is busy on the hammer. It could be simply due to design of this particular holster.
    View attachment 277599
    Not sure of your holster material, but to me it looks like the "Dreaded" Dremel tool could do some good.
    Just a small bevel right where the end of the safety meets the material.
    It looks like that would "Glide" the safety lever by the thumb strap release tab??
    Again just my 2 cents worth..Bill.

Top Bottom