• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Anyone have any experience, good or bad,with any products designed to blue/re-blue your firearms? I have a couple of candidates that I am considering for some touch-up work....some for removing spots of surface rust and some for scratches. Brownell's has a couple of products....Oxpho-Blue and T-44 ..if I can recall, that "claim" to do the job. Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks! :patriot:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I like the oxpho blue pretty well. the t-44 doesnt seem to be very durable. Either way cold blue will not really protect your firearm from further rust, it just covers up the bald spots. Its kinda like putting a bandaid on a cut that needs sutures. Sure it will work, but its not a permanent fix.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I've always had good luck with birchwood casey paste blue, applied with 0000 steel wool presoaked in alcohol to remove the protective oil.

jlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I've touched up a small spot with a Birchwood Casey "Presto" gun blue pen with good results. Haven't tried any large spots though.

TheeToyGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    I used some blueing products from Gander Mountain and they didn't work very good. It was a kit for around $30. Problem was probably me as I was trying to do a whole gun not just spots.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've always had good luck with birchwood casey paste blue, applied with 0000 steel wool presoaked in alcohol to remove the protective oil.
    Brownells Oxpho-Blue is good stuff, but I've also had very good luck with the Birchwood Casey blue paste. I've found that both brands really match the original blue and will last for a long time. I've done whole .22 rifle barrels and just small areas on long guns. As for handguns, the cold blue wouldn't last long for a gun that gets regular holster use.

Top Bottom