• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Ok, so I'm old. I can't help it, it just sorta happened. I was born in the 40's and Dad gave me a BB gun when I was 3.....I couldn't even cock it for awhile. At age 9 he gave me an old single shot Steven's Junior 22, and I was alowed to hunt with it alone. I had to find them sittin', which I got pretty good at. We lived in the country, in the tenant house on a farm in Decatur County, IN. In 1958, Ollie, the owner of the farm, passed away, and his widow, who was like a grandmother to me, gave me his old 1906 Winchester. Ollie used to keep that Winchester in his manure spreader; it had long ago lost all its finish, and the stock was repaired at the wrist with a bolt, as it once fell off Ollie's tractor and he ran over it! The bore was already pitted. Ollie only shot bird shot in it all the years I knew him. But that rifle was the first repeater I owned, and I still have it.

Well, in the 50's, there was no such thing as trash pick-up. When the roads were built, small gravel quarries were dug for the rock, and these quarries were on just about every farm somewhere. There was one beside State Road 3 just north of Sandusky, Indiana. Being close to the highway, everyone living in the area dumped their garbage, trash and old appliances into that little quarry. And so, it was full of rats! Dad used to take me there and we would shoot them....well, he would shoot them and, at first at least, I would shoot at them. They were always on the move, and had their trails, so you knew where you would see them, but they were fast and tough to hit. Dad had his Remington 550-1 and he was a Zen Master with that rifle. Every now and then I would hit one.....I would sight in on a "run" and wait for one to run by and would shoot at it before it got to cover. It became a timing thing. To me it was fantastic fun. I still have that 1906 Winchester, and Dad's 550-1 is beside it in the safe. They rarely are fired any more, but they are often fondled. Growing up in the 50's and 60's was a wonderful thing......I have a lot of great memories, and a few great guns of the era. Too bad today's youth can't experience shootin' rats like we did back then.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Upstate New york Grandpa use to work on saterday's at the town dump. about 1976. Many times he would take me and his savage model 24 with rem shorts. No problems finding rats. It is fun.

He also had a rat terrier who could get more rats in 5 min than I could all day. Man that dog was fast and deadly on rats. Like a mini pit bull.

superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    I'm 25 my dad is 62 and I know how much I wish I could have experienced it the way he did. Life today is just stress+work. I wish I could live in the country and get to know folks, shooting and havin fun... But alas God had different plans.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I love my Grandfathers 550-1. It will still shoot the eyes out of a squirrel. I couldn't tell you the number of rounds I've put into that gun over the years. :)

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    My Grandfather has told stories of shooting rats in the basment of the jail when he was Sheriff of a certain county from 1963-1970. I laugh everytime I think about it.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Until I joined the Army, I always raised livestock. I had breeding stock beef and hogs, and ran through about 100 head feeder pig every month. After the crops were out, I would glean the cornfields, and used large skids with plywood sides to store the ear corn. Every spring myself, my little sister, and the 2 boys across the street, would each grab a cat and our .22 rifles, while dad hooked a tractor up to the skids and started to drag them around. Man, the rats would be everywhere. Each one of us would throw our cat at the biggest, meanest, rat we saw, just for the fight, and just start popping every other target that presented itself. Talk about a blast! The suprising thing is no one got hurt.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Shot rats at the city dump north of town back in the 60's. Older guys would talk about rat batt'n up there. I was not a fan of hand to hand so I stuck with the .22.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i'm lucky and do shoot any time i want, here in the country. and lucky also i dont have any rats running around. but some friends do a lot farming and the pigeons need thinned out from time to time from the equipment sheds.

i remember the first hunt i ever went on, about 1957 or 8 walked the train tracks shooting rabbits, i couldnt hunt because i was only 6 or 7, but still remember it....daryll

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Walked down the main street of one town yrs ago with a Browning takedown and my cuz. Going to shoot rats/possums in the dump. Two kids, 12 yrs old, a rifle.............and nobody gave a flip.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    In the 60's my Grandparents had chickens, the chicken houses had dirt floors. At night my brother and I would sneak up to a window with a winchester single shot with bird shot in it. The rats would come out to eat the chicken feed when the chickens were roosting. We'd shine a flash light through the window for each other to shoot the rats, the bird shot didn't hurt anything but the rats. Kids today can't have that much fun.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    In the 60's my Grandparents had chickens, the chicken houses had dirt floors. At night my brother and I would sneak up to a window with a winchester single shot with bird shot in it. The rats would come out to eat the chicken feed when the chickens were roosting. We'd shine a flash light through the window for each other to shoot the rats, the bird shot didn't hurt anything but the rats. Kids today can't have that much fun.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I'm glad you posted this story because it fills in some gaps.

Never shot rats but my Mom and Aunt did at the dump. I also have a 'rat gun', a Winchester Md 61. The story goes that my Dad thought He would show Mom how to shoot, at the dump. My dad was know as a really good shot and probably thought he would show-off a little but found out She was better shot than Him and that was the last time he took her shooting.

Always heard these stories never thought much of them. Mom, my Aunt and Me was at little shooting gallery and I was having a blast, thinking that I'm pretty good shot, then Mom and my Aunt showed me how it was done. Wow, they were good and fast.

Oh yeah, that was Mom's Md 61.

Shoot'en is in my blood.

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    That takes me back, too. My dad, uncle, a couple of cousins and I would regularly go out to the public dump near Clinton, MO in the evening for 'rat shoots'. There were two spotlights mounted on the old farm pickup we drove there, which allowed us to keep shooting well after sundown.

My Uncle Lew would often let me use his Winchester 62A, as my only 'personal' rifle at the time was a single-shot BA. Great fun, great practice for rabbit season and great for the local Western Auto store's ammo business! Lord knows how many boxes of .22 Shorts I went through that way, but I do remember being happy to do whatever farm chores it took to buy them!

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    My older brother and I used to do this at the dump near Crown Point in the 60s. We had a great time, and provided a public service. One night, a cop rolled up, asked what we were up to, and just told us to be careful. Ah the good old days.....:fogey:

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    That takes me back, too. My dad, uncle, a couple of cousins and I would regularly go out to the public dump near Clinton, MO in the evening for 'rat shoots'. There were two spotlights mounted on the old farm pickup we drove there, which allowed us to keep shooting well after sundown.

My Uncle Lew would often let me use his Winchester 62A, as my only 'personal' rifle at the time was a single-shot BA. Great fun, great practice for rabbit season and great for the local Western Auto store's ammo business! Lord knows how many boxes of .22 Shorts I went through that way, but I do remember being happy to do whatever farm chores it took to buy them!

where i was talking about shooting was in clinton mo too. woops, not gonna jack this thread, will pm you....daryll

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My story is more about flying rats.
    In the late 60's early 70's I used to go to work with my dad. He was the yardmaster for B&O railyard off of Belmont and Michigan street. They had a huge barn that they stored parts in that had a ton of pigeons in. I would take my .22 rifle with shorts in it and shoot the pigeons. I got paid $.10 a pigeon that I turned in. Dad bought the shells so everything was profit. Plus we ate at the Workingman's Friend.
    I also grew up on a farm. We used to lay in the hay loft and shoot rats that were coming out of the corn cribs. They were tough to hit but it did give me a lot of experience of shooting moving targets.

Top Bottom