• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    After Watching my nephew batoning thru some mean red oak with his busse, I have decided that maybe a heavier duty blade around isn't such a bad idea.

I know, I know, " sharpened prybar..." etc, but could come in handy...

So, is the RC-6 large enough to do some chopping, heavier splitting etc?

I thought maybe 7" would be better, but would rather buy RAT than Ontario's version due to their litigation earlier in the year.

There is the Ranger RD option and the Ontario, for larger stuff.

Regards

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I would use an RC-5 for that kind of thing, the RC-6 would be better for camping/hunting kind of knife. The RC-5 is thick and heavy and built more for that.

sere-photo1.jpg

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    After Watching my nephew batoning thru some mean red oak with his busse, I have decided that maybe a heavier duty blade around isn't such a bad idea.

I know, I know, " sharpened prybar..." etc, but could come in handy...

So, is the RC-6 large enough to do some chopping, heavier splitting etc?

I thought maybe 7" would be better, but would rather buy RAT than Ontario's version due to their litigation earlier in the year.

There is the Ranger RD option and the Ontario, for larger stuff.

Regards

so you want a big 1/4" blade around ten inches just not busse prices?

RTDoug

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Well, I don't think I need a 10" blade, but see the advantage of a heavier one.

Is the RC-6 thinner than the 5 ?

That doesn't seem to make sense.

I could just get a Ranger OKC if I decide on a 7".

Regards

Oh yeah, the Busse's would be one expensive blade to buy and decide I didn't use it enough!

Last edited:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Well, I don't think I need a 10" blade, but see the advantage of a heavier one.

Is the RC-6 thinner than the 5 ?

That doesn't seem to make sense.

I could just get a Ranger OKC if I decide on a 7".

Regards

Oh yeah, the Busse's would be one expensive blade to buy and decide I didn't use it enough!

I just ordered an RC-6 this morning, after debating heavily between the RC-5 SERE and the RC-6. I decided I'd eventually have both anyway, but the RC-6 had the new Bladetech Kydex sheath, whereas the older cordura nylon type was more commonly equipped on the RC-5s. The RC-5 now has the Kydex sheath, but most of the online retailers with good prices don't have them yet. HICKMAN informed me of this, made perfect sense and helped me in my decision-making process.

The RC-5 is .25" thick, the RC-6 is .188" thick.

Here's the sites for the respective knives:

RC-5: RAT Cutlery Co.

RC-6: RAT Cutlery Co.

Hope that helps. I'll post some pics and a review of the RC-6 once it arrives. I'm already planning on ordering at least an Izula to go with my 6.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    That being said, I really don't have anything against the Cordura nylon sheathing whatsoever, I'm sure it's just fine, but I like Kydex holsters,etc. Either way, I'm still going to end up ordering a RC-5, if I don't get a Kydex with it, I'll just have Raven make me one for it at the 1500 that will be even better than the bladetech one they've commissioned for their knives.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    To the OP

Have you ever gave Fallkniven a look? I currently EDC a Fallkniven A1, The blade retention is incredible. I go on camping trips and use only it to prepare my fire wood and it handles everything I've ever been able to throw at it and when I'm done it's only in need of a touch up. Which with it being a convex edge is supper easy to do. Plus no silly choil.

The A2 has an 8 inch blade, Might be worth taking a look at. Either way both make a great knife. Just wanted to give you an option you may not have been aware of.

The good stuff don't happen till 4 mins in. I do alot of batoning with mine and all I can say is it's kicks butt. You can baton a few logs and it will still cut hair off your arm. I went with the satin finish though :yesway:

YouTube - Fallkniven A1: Compact Efficiency

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Rat Cutlery is fine, durable, well made stuff. You can baton with any length hard-use blade but I find it unpleasant and frustrating if the blade length is less than 7". 10" works but can be overkill.

Justin and Ranger Knives: You'll never meet a nicer, more humble guy - I like him a lot. He can do great work at affordable prices. I owned an RD-9 from the first generation when he was making them out back in GA before the mid-tech with Ontario. The blade grip never felt right to me and I sold it.

The Busse/Scrap Yard/Swamp Rat triad can be frustrating to those used to immediate gratification. Admittedly, the ordering process can be difficult to learn. Patience has its rewards - sort of like Randall - and I've taken that route.

Another to consider is Dave Wesner of Kelsey Creek. An ex-machinist who makes hard-use knives of outstanding materials. You'll work directly with the maker.
    Kelsey Creek Knife Works Home

Enjoy!

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I have had nothing but great success with my RC5 if you are anywhere franklin and would like to handle it and use it just PM me and we can setup something.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Rat Cutlery is fine, durable, well made stuff. You can baton with any length hard-use blade but I find it unpleasant and frustrating if the blade length is less than 7". 10" works but can be overkill.

Justin and Ranger Knives: You'll never meet a nicer, more humble guy - I like him a lot. He can do great work at affordable prices. I owned an RD-9 from the first generation when he was making them out back in GA before the mid-tech with Ontario. The blade grip never felt right to me and I sold it.

The Busse/Scrap Yard/Swamp Rat triad can be frustrating to those used to immediate gratification. Admittedly, the ordering process can be difficult to learn. Patience has its rewards - sort of like Randall - and I've taken that route.

Another to consider is Dave Wesner of Kelsey Creek. An ex-machinist who makes hard-use knives of outstanding materials. You'll work directly with the maker.
    Kelsey Creek Knife Works Home

Enjoy!

Stupid question, what exactly is batonning?

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Stupid question, what exactly is batonning?

The act of spliting logs by driving something through them. In this case a knife. The knife is driven through the log with what is referred to as a Baton. The baton is used to beat the blade of the knife through the log. So the size of what log you can baton is limited by the blade length of your knife.

Also once the blade enters the log - The shape of your blade takes over and acts like a wedge forcing the two halves further apart until the log finally splits. The actually edge of the knife receives a surprising small amount of use during the process.

See the videos above for a demonstration.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I'll bring this big Wesner chopper with me too. Absolute monster when it comes to dead-on chopping and batoning. 10"-11" (I forgot) of A2 blade steel.

PA300399E.jpg

Top Bottom