Random Redirects from INGO, Am I infected?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I understand that websites use ad revenue to offset the costs of hosting and maintaining the sites,but unless they can guarantee malware free ads, my ad block software (ublock origin as stated above now) is staying on...

Exactly. A lot of people think adblockers are selfish, and people just don't want to deal with unobtrusive ads... but it's also because ads are constantly spreading malware. It's a safety issue.

Places like INGO can't necessarily prevent their ad system from spreading malware, it just happens.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Places like INGO can't necessarily prevent their ad system from spreading malware, it just happens.

Generally a site like INGO will contract with an advertising service, exchanging ad displays for income. Saves a lot of work for the site owner in maintaining the ad system, recruiting and contracting with advertisers, etc. Occasionally, some malware will be injected into the ad rotation. That is on the advertising service to monitor, but the site owners get the complaints. It happens even with very large web sites. All TexKev can do is verify the problem and forward it on, possibly disabling ads for a while and losing revenue.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To narrow it down, it sounds like the ads that are served to non site supporters are the issue. I use adblock plus but whitelist ingo. I like the ads I see for places like Nelson. The few that remain for the site supporters dont seem to have that problem if I am reading the thread correctly.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It's a redirect to Uber app in the Google Play Store, I don't us Uber probably never will, Unless I decide to drive for them.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Been getting them also.
    Always to a page that asks "Are you sure you want to leave?"
    I Control-Alt-Delete to close the browser.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Been getting them also.
    Always to a page that asks "Are you sure you want to leave?"
    I Control-Alt-Delete to close the browser.

Thats not a virus. Thats a senior moment. It means you started typing a response and didnt hit the reply button.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Same here. Works great but nothing's 100% idiot proof. Sometimes I turn it off (Tiny Pic for one) and forget to turn it back on and I'll get some weird stuff.

There is an option to disable Adblock for a specific web site. You can disable it for Tinypic and not worry about turning it back on for other sites. Likewise for INGO.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I have also noticed random links being interjected into the posts. Sometimes every word is a link to https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/#. If clicked it will redirect to an ad page. What I have noticed is that a lot of the time, it appears that the whole page is overlaid as a single link. To be able to get to the thread link, I need to click on the page, have the ad pop into a new tab, close it and then I can click on a thread link of interest. I thought I had a browser hijack from some nefarious ad from one of the many tabs that I always have open that had infected Firefox. Can't find anything.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have also noticed random links being interjected into the posts. Sometimes every word is a link to https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/#. If clicked it will redirect to an ad page. What I have noticed is that a lot of the time, it appears that the whole page is overlaid as a single link. To be able to get to the thread link, I need to click on the page, have the ad pop into a new tab, close it and then I can click on a thread link of interest. I thought I had a browser hijack from some nefarious ad from one of the many tabs that I always have open that had infected Firefox. Can't find anything.

This is what non site-supporters see, it's an in-line ad system that picks out words in posts and tries to link them to relevant stuff. Best ignored.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is what non site-supporters see, it's an in-line ad system that picks out words in posts and tries to link them to relevant stuff. Best ignored.

And sometimes it makes your posts repeat... :tinfoil:

Top Bottom