• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Gonna be a late-poster here and stick in my two cents as a former military helicopter pilot, security company dispatcher, and public safety officer. If you are planning to communicate within your own group, SOPs with 'pro-words' (i.e. shortcuts which mean various standard reports or actions) will work - as long as everyone understands the SOP and the pro-words. Communications with outside entities by radio will always work best using plain language. The most frequent problem I have encountered with inter-agency communications is identifying the sender of the message and understanding the message. Communications should be short, to the point, and, especially if using a radio system that has a repeater in the link, the sender should pause long enough, after keying the microphone, to ensure the repeater has a chance to start transmitting. Otherwise, significant parts of the transmission can be unintelligible.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    There were reasons, besides "macho" that pilots, especially fighter pilots, developed the phlegmatic "drawl" characterized by Chuch Yaeger in "The Right Stuff". Voice radio communications then were not as intelligible, generally, as they are today; speaking slowly not only made voice communications more clear, it also helps the speaker maintain a calm demeanor. It takes training, preparation, and practice to be able to speak calmly while under stress, whether it's physical, emotional, or mental.

Top Bottom